35 yr old male, just started receding 2 years ago, can I stop this, or is it too late

fretboard_logic

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have always had super thick hair, to the point where every time I got a hair cut, the barber or stylist would comment.
"You've got the thickest hair"..... "You don't ever have to worry about being bald" were comments I have heard all of my life.

My dad, and his dad, are both bald as Cue Balls....since age 30 for each of them... when at age 30, I had absolutely no signs whatsoever of receding, I assumed I was golden..... but in the last 2 years, things have changed.

So, I am 35 and 1/2.... just wondering where on the Norwood scale you guys would place me, and if there is anything you would suggest to at least keep the hair I have. Any advice, much appreciated.

100MEDIA$IMAG0386.jpg100MEDIA$IMAG0381.jpgIMAG0383.jpg100MEDIA$IMAG0393.jpg

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0391.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0391.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 565

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Norwood 2 or so, although the first picture looks worse than the others. Do you have any older pictures to compare?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As you will already know, your crown is fine :) it could well just be a maturing hairline, especially given your age. If you could post some pictures as I said, we can compare.

fretboard_logic

Reaction score
IMAG0472.jpgIMAG0476.jpgIMAG0383.jpg100MEDIA$IMAG0420.jpg

The first 3 are fresh out of the shower today..... the last picture was taken 6 1/2 years ago in 2007.

My hair is very, very similiar to Jordan Knight from New Kids on the Block....like him, I have always had super thick hair with a pronounced Widows Peak.

I just never, ever thought I would deal with hair loss/or balding issues..... like Jordan.... I have heard everything from:

"dude you have no loss."
"you have a mature hairline"
"yep, that's Norwood 2"

So...whatever this is, its what I am dealing with at 35 1/2 years of age.... what are the odds it will stop here?

- - - Updated - - -

Got my hair trimmed today...asked my stylist what she thought.....she said "considering I use the thinning shears on you for 10 mins each visit, I never think of you as going bald." She asked the girl at the booth next to her.....she said "mature hairline"......Their boss walked in, who is the owner, and a master stylist, and happens to be a Norwood 7 himself..... he came over....inspected my hair...and said "I would say somewhere between a Norwood 1 & 2" I asked if there was anything I could do..... he laughed and said enjoy your thick A$$ hair..... he think told me that he tried finasteride & Rogaine years back and he had horrific testicle pain, and could not get an erection..... is that true? That's a pretty serious side effect. I am not sure any hair is worth that.

- - - Updated - - -

Norwood 2

Got my hair trimmed today...asked my stylist what she thought.....she said "considering I use the thinning shears on you for 10 mins each visit, I never think of you as going bald." She asked the girl at the booth next to her.....she said "mature hairline"......Their boss walked in, who is the owner, and a master stylist, and happens to be a Norwood 7 himself..... he came over....inspected my hair...and said "I would say somewhere between a Norwood 1 & 2" I asked if there was anything I could do..... he laughed and said enjoy your thick A$$ hair..... he think told me that he tried finasteride & Rogaine years back and he had horrific testicle pain, and could not get an erection..... is that true? That's a pretty serious side effect. I am not sure any hair is worth that.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
Norwood 2, very high density.

We don't know if he had the problems he complained of, whether they would have persisted or not or whether or not it was psychosomatic. We do know that a lot of people see good results from finasteride & from a traditional medical perspective it should be your first port of call. If you get terrifying sides, just cease treatment.

Good luck.