36 year old - New here and documenting my hair loss treatment to share with others

Hairster

Reaction score
I'm a 36 year old Asian male with fine hair that recently noticed heavy symptoms of male pattern baldness which started around late May 2014. All of a sudden I started getting dandruff! At first I just noticed that my hairline was starting to recede on the left side temple. But soon I noticed that I had about 10-30 strands of hair falling out everyday in my shower drain. It was depressing to see that much hair fall out and notice that when I styled my hair, my front hairline was thinning out. My right side temple has receded about half an 1/4" - 1/2" in my late 20s but it wasn't a big deal and could probably pass for mature hairline. I exercise 3 times a week and live a pretty healthy lifestyle so I'm going to try my best to fight this male pattern baldness and start early to keep whatever hair I can! I will be posting pictures so you can see any progress and what I'm actually using.

I started using Rogaine foam in 2010, when I was 32-33 after hearing my barber mention to me that my whorl area is thinning and had less hair. Even in my teenage years, the whorl spot is somewhat noticeable unlike some other people where hair actually covers that spot. So I use it once a day and put it on every night about 30 mins to an hour before bedtime. Rogaine foam works pretty well and you'll actually notice the hair getting thicker and darker in about 2 months. I don't apply it in the morning though since it's terrible when you try to style your hair with it and just makes the hair feel nappy.

I've heard about Propecia before from a friend that started using it in his mid 20s. He highly recommends it since it worked out very well for him, however, about 2 years ago he had to stop Propecia. He told me he had problems with keeping his erection and it was affecting his sex life with his new girlfriend. Therefore, I never started Propecia and was scared to **** about the side effects. Fast forward to 3 months later and after doing lots of research and reading different forums, I decided to test out Propecia for a month to see how it works for me.

I have now started Propecia (cut into quarters daily - 0.25mg) in the beginning of August 2014. The first few days I didn't noticed any symptoms but then hair started shedding like crazy (20-30 strands in the shower drain). I would have my Braava run floor mops every Sunday and noticed more hair shedding than ever before in my apt! What I do noticed is that on days when I only rinse my hair with water and not wash it with shampoo, not much hair falls out (less than 5 or 10). It's the days that I shampoo my hair that I noticed more hair falling out. The only problem with rinsing my hair only and no shampoo is that my hair will be very flat and no volume to style the next day.

I don't believe in one magical pill or solution to hairloss. I think it requires a combination of everything from the inside to out in order to have consistent noticeable results. Here I'm going to start documenting my routine/regimen to share with fellow members and hopefully we can learn from each other.

Exercise routine - I think cardio exercises helps blood flow and keeps my energy level up so I don't get depress or stress over hair loss. I been exercising routinely since my 20s so nothing has changed much...just moving more towards cardio than lifting. Tuesday, Thursday, Sat - 1 to 1.5 mile run on the treadmill

Shampoo - After doing a lot of research, I decided to change shampoo (Redken for Men and Hanz De Fuko organic shampoo) to a new line. I currently use:
Pura D'or Organic Shampoo
Pura D'or Organic Conditioner

Nizoral - for my dandruff, started using this about 2 weeks ago. Works great and doesn't smell funky like other dandruff shampoo. I try to use this twice a week and usually follow it up with the conditioner

Regenepure shampoo - this shampoo is rotated with the Pura D'or organic shampoo daily. I'm trying to use conditioner daily now after learning that shampooing too much strips your hair of natural oil that protects it.

Rogaine foam - applied every night around the whorl area

Propecia - 0.25mg before bedtime. It's been 3 weeks since I'm on it now and no problems with erection or low libido, just noticed the pulse on my left wrist area twitches sporadically in the last few days. :unsure:

Vitamins - Ultrax Labs Hair Maxx, been taking it for about a month. I do take other vitamins to stay healthy so let me know if you're interested in hearing more about it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an old picture back in April 2014.

April.jpg

On 8/18 - front hairline is weak and you can see the top of the scalp! Letting hair grow out.
8-18.jpg8-18-14.jpg

Last edited:

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
It was funny the first 100 times a thick Norwood.5 started a thread like this. Now it's getting old.

Hairster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I can't tell who's joking around but I take my hair loss seriously and hope that by starting early I can slow down the male pattern baldness! I've read over and over again that it's easier to maintain what you have than to try to grow hair back. I'll try to take pictures from the top view with better lighting next time. I'm receding in the front hairline, the last 2 pictures probably did not show well since the hair falls down naturally to the sides.

Some lingos are new to me (Norwood) so I did a search on Google to see what you guys are referring to. SayifDoit, when did your male pattern baldness started and what's your current regimen?

My mom's side of the family has full hair (grandfather and even my 55 year old uncle right now). However on my dad side (grandfather is a Norwood VII and dad is Norwood III now) has male pattern baldness.

Hairster

Reaction score
FredTheBelgian, let me take some pictures tonight to show you guys I'm not a troll. Hair loss is a pretty sensitive topic for both men and women, so I respect that. I don't have time to be making up stories! I'm here to actually share my story and learn from others.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope these close up pics (not sure why I can't upload images, getting the exclamation mark icon) with better angles will clear my reputation here. I'm in my 30s now and don't have any time to BS around, everything is taken on 8/23/2014.

Front
https://imageshack.com/i/kpP60eDLj
https://imageshack.com/i/kqp6EMKDj
https://imageshack.com/i/iqpx273ej
https://imageshack.com/i/exJW8E4gj

Back
https://imageshack.com/i/eyGM8WRcj
https://imageshack.com/i/kmKOXtV8j
https://imageshack.com/i/ezcsQ4bBj

Hairster

Reaction score
You should be using minoxidil on your temples too

jksl, good point I didn't know minoxidil would work on the temples but noticed Allenjon got great results on the top and front of his head. I'll try it out daily and see if there are any improvements. Hopefully it won't increase the shedding further and make the temples recede more!

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
There is indeed a clear temple recession, crown looks good though.

Sorry for the rude comments, but you have to admit your first pictures showed absolutely no hairloss ^^"

Jksl is right you could use minoxidil on your temples too, good luck !

Hairster

Reaction score
Vlatch, no harm done. The April 2014 photo was before male pattern baldness started, that was my normal hairstyle before DHT wreckage started. The right side temple (your left looking at the picture) receded a little bit but this started in my late 20s and stayed that way until this year. The left side temple was always lined up with my hairline which was pretty good at that point.

But holy ****, towards end of May I was losing hair rapidly on both sides in a short span of about 6 weeks! Also front hairline got thinner. The 2nd and 3rd photo in August is basically my hairstyle in no man's land. It's no longer short as before yet not long enough to do anything with it. With both temples receding and no support, my hair tends to break in the middle and fall towards the side. Today I noticed in certain bathroom lighting that I can see my scalp more.

Completed my 3rd week of Propecia and daily hair shed in the shower drain is damn scary (25-35 strands now). I hope it ends soon because at this rate it's depressing. I actually admire a lot of people on the forums that are dealing with more severe cases of hair loss, especially people that got hit in their teens and early 20s. Just can't imagine how tough it is to deal with that level of stress. I'm realistic, at my age male pattern baldness is expected and I don't think I can even gain much. I only pray to keep whatever I can at this stage and slow down the damage.

Not going to take hair for granted and starting my minoxidil treatment on the temples tonight. Thanks for the tip Jksl and Vlatch, I'll need all the luck I can and best wishes to both of you! I'll try to post some pics of the temple areas in 2-3 months.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
After looking at your latest pics, I see the recession. I would personally just stick with finasteride at the moment. Keep in mind when it comes to treatments, generally things get worse before they get better. You might have to suffer through some shedding before you see some regrowth.

Hairster

Reaction score
Weird, not sure why I didn't get a daily email update for a response to my thread here.

Notcoolanymore, I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to getting worse! I've been collecting hair on my shower drain on a daily basis to see my progress on the hair shedding. This is my 4th week on finasteride and I'm averaging around 30-50 strands right now (when male pattern baldness started it was 10-30). How long was your shedding period until things stabilized? Even now when I just style my hair with my normal hair wax/paste...hair is easily falling out. Noticed that my libido is a bit lower this week, not sure if it's due to me just consciously aware and thinking about it. On some day I feel great waking up with a morning woody but on days that I don't...I get a little worried.:unsure:

Putting the minoxidil on the temples this whole week, I did notice that both temples seem to lose even more hair around it! This **** is scary when it gets worse. I'm going to try and not apply minoxidil too close to the hairline and just apply on the hairless temple spots.

As for my shampoo rotation, I think it's a good routine since I noticed the rest of my hair is a bit fuller (also blow dry my air on cooler setting). I've never had dandruff before but since it started...Nizoral helps but can't seem to get rid of it completely. This is my 2nd week of using Nizoral.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed a lot of people here are using 2% Ketoconazole shampoo. This is the shampoo that I'm currently using twice a week, but it's only 1% Ketoconazole: http://amzn.com/B00AINMFAC

I feel like my scalp needs to use this 3 times a week for it to be healthier. It's been 2 weeks so far, should I continue for the next 6-8 weeks or the 1% is for child's play?