37 Thinning and Balding

baldblondie

Reaction score
I'm 37 and the balding and thinning has just now started to bother me. I have always been vain but as I'm getting older I'm wanting my hair back. I would guess I'm a norwood 5 or 6 with diffuse thinning? I have no clue, I'm new to researching all of this. I have been using ketoconazole since last Feb that my Dermatologist prescribed for some acne bumps on my scalp. I started Kirkland Minoxidil foam on Dec 23, I have already noticed some shedding, especially on the top left and right side and on the crown. I ordered some propecia and should have it next week and plan on taking it for a month to see how i react to it. If no side effects i will continue to take it. I have always had a more natural receding hairline so I don't expect to get something I have never had ( a hairline that is more straight across) but I would just like to have thicker hair once again. When I would get my hair cut the girls would always comment on how if they could bottle my natural blonde highlights they would be rich. I miss that. I posted a picture to confirm on what i would be on the Norwood scale and if it is diffuse thinning. And for any advice that can be given.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 302

shookwun

Reaction score
Pretty much bald, few pubes here, and there.

Only option would be a wig.

baldblondie

Reaction score
I have gave that some thought also but I would want it to look as real as possible. not sure my options for getting my hair cut to go along with a hair piece in the town i live in. now i just get it buzzed myself.

shookwun

Reaction score
wig is a only viable option if your sides, and back aren't completely demolished by DHT. The texture, and blend needs to match the wig or it'll look off, and unnatural. Some system wearers with good donor areas have opted for temple transplants to add to the realism of the 'look'.

baldblondie

Reaction score
image.jpg Here is another pic different angle

- - - Updated - - -

so basically i'm just waiting my time trying the minoxidil and propecia? getting old just flat out sucks.

prettydamnbald

Reaction score
contrarian

I'll be a contrarian here and say you've got nothing to lose by trying, and you may be able to gain. You do have some hair up there. Your hair is short, and doesn't look much different than some after shots of "success stories" here who have claimed progress/success. I think you're on the right road with the propecia and minoxidil. Just keep in check with your doctor. I'll bet you see some improvement but give it time. The month you cite is NOT enough. Try 6 months minimum before you make any judgement whatsoever, and likely a year. Be disciplined about it, too.

If you don't get positive results, then really nothing lost here. I would discourage the wig, unless you want to scream "I'm a douche!"

baldblondie

Reaction score
thanks for your response and encouragement. I'm going to stick with it and try it for up to a year. I'm really to proud to wear a wig. Being single and still on the dating scene I don't think I would like the conversation to a girl about oh yeah I'm wearing a wig.

shreyaskini

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yep. Do try it for an year atleast. There have been some extraordinary results with the big 3. Who knows? you might also experience it. Wish you luck :)

idunnolol

Reaction score
I'd say it's bad, but not super bad considering you are 37.
When did you start losing your hair? If it only started 'recently' then there's some hope of getting something back.

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
at the very least you were able to enjoy most of your prime years with hair
goodluck if you decide to try treatment

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd skip finasteride and go straight to dutasteride. You may get a cosmetically significant amount back and combine that with a hair transplant, who knows? Definitely worth a shot

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
It started thinning heavy in the past two years.

So you had pretty much full hair at 35? I know people say that male pattern baldness begins in teens and 20's but there are people I know who started balding in their mid 30's and it was very aggressive. Like a horseshoe formed within 5 years. So unpredictable.

Anyway you have been given sound advice. All the best. Let everyone know how you are in a year or so.

baldblondie

Reaction score
Yes it has been very aggressive the past couple of years. But the second pic i posted is what my hair has looked like for over the past year. It's like is not thinning out that much anymore, it probably is but nothing like it was when it started. I've been using the ketoconazole during that time. Like i said I never had good hair, fine, thin hair and high hairline on my temples people would make jokes I would be bald by 30 but my hair hung in their till my mid 30's.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it has been very aggressive the past couple of years. But the second pic i posted is what my hair has looked like for over the past year. It's like is not thinning out that much anymore, it probably is but nothing like it was when it started. I've been using the ketoconazole during that time. Like i said I never had good hair, fine, thin hair and high hairline on my temples people would make jokes I would be bald by 30 but my hair hung in their till my mid 30's.

What type of pattern of hair loss do you have on both sides of the family tree? Anything similar to the one you are experiencing?

baldblondie

Reaction score
My moms side, she has four brothers all have full, thick hair as well as her dad. My dad was bald on top. Some of his brothers were bald and some did not lose any hair. My brothers hair is the same as mine. He is 6 years older and shaves his head. He never tried any treatment.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
My moms side, she has four brothers all have full, thick hair as well as her dad. My dad was bald on top. Some of his brothers were bald and some did not lose any hair. My brothers hair is the same as mine. He is 6 years older and shaves his head. He never tried any treatment.

Sounds like my history. Thanks for the reply. I would definitely get on the Minoxidil and finasteride.