4 1/2 Months - Disappointed so far

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
I am slightly past four and a half months since my 2500 graft procedure to restore my hairline and add density to my crown. So far, I am really disappointed. My regrowth actually started pretty early, as I was seeing hairs coming in at about 60 days - more than I expected at that point. At that time I was really excited. Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of additional growth since then. Those hairs have gotten thicker and longer, but really the amount of growth has been a big let down. I am hoping that the six month mark will show a lot more growth and density to the transplanted areas. I don't have pictures to share, but my growth has really been just too thin to add any cosmetic benefit thus far.

Any thoughts?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
How old are you? Where did you go? Are you taking any meds?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Be patient 4.5 months is just the start.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks SAF.

I am 29 - less than a month from 30. The surgery was performed by Grant Koher, which I kind of regret. The number of grafts numbered 2500. The main focus was rebuilding the hairline - without lowering it. Density was added to the mid-scalp, where I still had a decent bit of hair, although there was some thinning. The crown also received some grafts. My crown was not slick, but there was plenty of white showing from thinning and miniturization.

Hairs have come in along the hairline areas, though there hasn't been that much progress in the past month or so. There really hasn't been in easily seen progression in the mid-scalp or crown area. Also the left hairline has come in better than the right hairline.

I am hoping that I will see a lot more growth in the next few months. I am looking at Dr. Cooley or Dr. Rose for a follow-up to add density. I had planned on doing two procedures anyway and I think I will definitely look at another surgeon to do so.

I am just trying to be patient. I was really excited when the first hairs came in but I am really kind of bummed now. I just feel like I look like a guy with a receding/thinning hairline and a really thin crown right now and I can't even "hide" it by trimming the hair down close due to the donor scar.

I am taking the Big Three.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its always harder to see new growth amongst existing hair.

fnlostish

Established Member
Reaction score
the Doctor who did my transplant in 2005
said it could take 12-18 months to see the full effects.
for me i would say 1 year things pretty much were as they were gonna be

G

Hang in there my friend. I think waiting and watching for regrowth is the most challenging time and requires lots of patience. Yes, definitely give it more time.

There is no question that the two other docs you are considering are far better talented IMHO. They are both very ethical too.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am closing in on 5 months within the next few days. I have always read that the 5-6 month mark is supposed to be a big turning point. Honestly, I have new hair, but nothing to get really excited about it. I wasn't expecting great coverage in the crown, but I was expecting better than "no coverage."

Two further questions: What percentage of regrowth is normal at the 6 month timespan? Also, how long should I wait to do a follow-procedure? I was thinking maybe a year, but I want to start making plans and looking into consultations with other doctors before then.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
dd11856 said:
Thanks guys. I am closing in on 5 months within the next few days. I have always read that the 5-6 month mark is supposed to be a big turning point. Honestly, I have new hair, but nothing to get really excited about it. I wasn't expecting great coverage in the crown, but I was expecting better than "no coverage."

i know its easier said than done but try not to focus on any one specific bracket of time because you may well end up disappointing yourself.Everyone is different,just try and be patient ,put it out of your mind :)

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice folks. :)

Edited to add that I trimmed my hair down using a No. 2 from about 1 inch long and I can see a lot more thin hairs growing in than I thought.

G

I agree that the times frames can be different between patients. The average would be at least 50 - 60% of the grafts have come through at the six month mark.

I would not consider having anything done until you get between 12-14 months post-op.

Keep us in the loop as more time goes by.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
both of my full results were in the 14-15 month range. I think alot of Doctor's just say a year to give you that nice round number so-to-speak. Every hair transplant Doctor I have spoken to off the record has eluded to this