4 years of preventing hair loss since the age of 16

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been a member of this forum for a while now and have been offered advice on a range of different topics. I have been battling hair loss since the age of 16 and, having recently turned 20, thought it was time to share my experiences so far.

My dad had always said that I would begin to lose my hair at 16 and that most of it would be gone by 21. Sure enough, at 16, I felt my temples begin to slowly recede. I consulted a London-based hair loss clinic, who gave me minoxidil in liquid form, a laser comb and a number of scalp massages. I applied the minoxidil once a day and never used the comb. At the time, this was enough to stop my hair loss.

At 17, I realised that Regaine was available for a fraction of the price that the hair loss clinic was charging. I began to use Regaine in liquid form and continued to maintain my hairline by applying it once a day in the evening.

At 19, I began my second-year at university. Around this time, I switched from using Regaine in liquid form once a day to using the foam twice a day as it was more convenient.

7 months ago, it became clear that my hair loss was getting more aggressive. Regaine alone was no longer sufficient to prevent the balding process. Having consulted Spex and a number of different hair loss forums, I purchased a year’s supply of Proscar from Dr.Singh in the UK. I began to take 1.25mg a day. I suffered a shed immediately. I also suffered a shed during month 6. However, I have never experienced any sexual side effects. At the same time, I also began to use Revita shampoo daily.

To summarise, up until very recently, my regime was:
Revita Shampoo daily
Regaine foam twice daily
1.25mg Proscar (finasteride) daily

Throughout the course of the last 7 months, I was convinced that my hairline was continuing to recede, albeit fairly slowly. 7 months ago, I wasn’t even on the Norwood scale. Now, I am an NW1 (see pictures).

A number of people implored me to give Proscar more time to work, arguing that many people don’t see results until 12 months or even 18 months. I couldn’t help thinking “so my hairline is going to magically restore itself at the 12 or 18 month mark? I think notâ€. I also reasoned that, since my father had warned to expect significant hair loss by the age of 21, my balding might be too aggressive to be suppressed by finasteride.

With this in mind, a few weeks ago, I purchased a month’s supply of Avodart (dutasteride). I began to take it on Mondays and Thursdays, taking Proscar on the remaining 5 days. To date, I have taken Avodart 5 times. The first 4 times, I experienced sexual side effects. However, I took it for the fifth time last night and today, the side effects are non-existent. Each time I will usually shed a little during the next day. I also tend to sleep deeper.

At the same time, I also began to use 50mg of RU in 1ml of KB solution on my hairline, once daily.

You can see in my pictures that my right temple is more receded than my left. This is perhaps because I have always pushed my fringe from right to left. I recently switched the direction of my fringe because the right side was in a bad way. I am desperately keen to prevent the left side from receding too much. I constantly ponder my dad’s warnings that most of hair will be gone by the age of 21. If this is the case, my hair loss must already be fairly aggressive. It is only going to get worse.

I am considering using dutasteride every day, rather than finasteride, since the side effects I was initially suffering from have recently disappeared (as mentioned). I am also considering using 75mg of RU in 1.5ml of KB solution on my hairline as 1ml doesn’t seem to cover it very well.

My main issue is that I am constantly being reminded that finasteride needs more time to work, yet I may only have a decent head of hair for 1 more year. Should I be patient, or should I take further preventative measures?

Some people may complain that I have a fair amount of hair at the moment and that I shouldn’t be fussing over treatments. However, all of the males in my family are bald and it surely better to catch it at this stage than when it has fully taken hold.

Apologies for not providing any pictures of my hairline before the present day but I foolishly didn't take any.

Pictures below:

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1401818349

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7e0a6d9c.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1401818368

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1401818355

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1401818360

Reaction score
man are you crazy? it doesnt look bad at all dude. looks good to me. Sometimes some people in their 20s have a hairline that look like its going to recede more and evenetually go bald but in some cases it just appears that way and that hairline stays in that same location until their 50s!

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
BDD clear case here...W
What receding are you talking about? Are you dreaming?
You have more hair than a girl...

Oh, and about "left side has receded more", you and others, it is not necessarily a problem, because we all are ASYMETRIC since birth. No man has his head or his hairline perfectly symmetric!

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Really really dumb responses guys.
If you say what you've done then well done dude!!!
With dust and Ru I could see you keeping your hair forever, you'll be in your 50's full NW1.

Congratz dude.

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Really really dumb responses guys.
If you say what you've done then well done dude!!!
With dust and Ru I could see you keeping your hair forever, you'll be in your 50's full NW1.

Congratz dude.

Cheers for the kind words. I expected some responses like that though! We'll just have to see if dutasteride/RU are capable of beating aggressive male pattern baldness.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
everyone is on the norwood scale haha

how have u progressed to norwood 1???

lol if one has zero hair loss then one is norwood 1

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks great, it's hard to say if it's the result of everything you've done or if you don't have male pattern baldness at all actually. The temples recede a tiny bit like this at the end of the teenage years for most people, even those who don't suffer hairloss.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Lol. Had to use your headband to hold back your mop of hair.

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Even though the responses to this thread were largely negative, I thought I would post an update.

4 months on, having taken 0.5mg dutasteride and used 100mg RU in 1.5ml KB solution ED, my temples have continued to recede at a similar rate. More significantly, a bald spot has begun to appear at my crown; something I have never experienced before.

Just because you're not yet a NW2 or 3, doesn't mean you're not going bald. I have never experienced side effects from hair loss treatments, despite having tried quite a few now, and I expect that my hairline will continue to recede until there's nothing left. Yes, I still have a decent amount of hair. But it doesn't look like I'm responding to anything. My temples continue to creep back and regardless of what treatment I try, I dont experience any side effects to suggest that it is working.

Even though 4 months isn't a long time to wait for results from dutasteride, considering I used finasteride for almost a year beforehand and used RU every day, plus dutasteride isn't particularly good at targetting the hairline, I see no grounds for optimism going forward.