45yr old losing 25 yr hair loss battle

tali

Reaction score
Hello , i am 45 and i have had thin flyaway hair , so even in my teens my scalp was visible in sunny, well lit conditions.In those years i worried deeply and always checked my head in the mirror but in last decade or so i stopped worrying and thought little of my hair.However, it has returned with a vengence and now it seems i am fighting a losing battle -with loads of hairs on my pillow .Oddly, my thin hair helps as it does'nt make the loss as noticeable as it could be.
My brother who is 49 had proper thick hair, whereas i had to use tons of hairspray -(if i didn't a sneeze miles away would wreck my hairstyle:sobbing:
However my brother has gone far balder than me now.
My main strategy for keeping my hair loss in check was washing it only once a week.I am sure regular washing would have speeded up my hair loss.I also cut it every 3 months or so.My hair grows pretty quick
I have tried vitamin b12 tablets and , vosene elvive reinforcing shampoo, argon oil(hyped up)
vosene hair loss tonic and kalakola(an indian product) actually made my hair loss WORSE.These products defeat point of excercise as hair loss occurs thru interaction with me. Coconut oil also worsened the problem.If you're going to start rubbing stuff in your hair -more will fall out -it's a no win situation
My hair loss can be strange -i was shocked to see total bald patch at rear in a video and then few weeks later it looks like i have full head of hair!
The amount of old wives tales and lazy reasons pedaled for baldness by health professionals is shocking -if their reasons were true then 99% of the population would be bald!
I went to my doctor about hair loss - and even a stubbed toe is "i'll send you fora blood test" with her.When i mentioned Finasteride she had the damn cheek to state "That has nothing to do with hair loss"
When i told her i had read about it and that it was for hair loss she replied " No , No , No it is definitely not for hair loss"
I'm staggered at such blatant lies
Anyway that's my story.Can't say i'm prepared to embrace baldness
Any advice , comments welcome

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello , i am 45 and i have had thin flyaway hair , so even in my teens my scalp was visible in sunny, well lit conditions.In those years i worried deeply and always checked my head in the mirror but in last decade or so i stopped worrying and thought little of my hair.However, it has returned with a vengence and now it seems i am fighting a losing battle -with loads of hairs on my pillow .Oddly, my thin hair helps as it does'nt make the loss as noticeable as it could be.
My brother who is 49 had proper thick hair, whereas i had to use tons of hairspray -(if i didn't a sneeze miles away would wreck my hairstyle:sobbing:
However my brother has gone far balder than me now.
My main strategy for keeping my hair loss in check was washing it only once a week.I am sure regular washing would have speeded up my hair loss.I also cut it every 3 months or so.My hair grows pretty quick
I have tried vitamin b12 tablets and , vosene elvive reinforcing shampoo, argon oil(hyped up)
vosene hair loss tonic and kalakola(an indian product) actually made my hair loss WORSE.These products defeat point of excercise as hair loss occurs thru interaction with me. Coconut oil also worsened the problem.If you're going to start rubbing stuff in your hair -more will fall out -it's a no win situation
My hair loss can be strange -i was shocked to see total bald patch at rear in a video and then few weeks later it looks like i have full head of hair!
The amount of old wives tales and lazy reasons pedaled for baldness by health professionals is shocking -if their reasons were true then 99% of the population would be bald!
I went to my doctor about hair loss - and even a stubbed toe is "i'll send you fora blood test" with her.When i mentioned Finasteride she had the damn cheek to state "That has nothing to do with hair loss"
When i told her i had read about it and that it was for hair loss she replied " No , No , No it is definitely not for hair loss"
I'm staggered at such blatant lies
Anyway that's my story.Can't say i'm prepared to embrace baldness
Any advice , comments welcome

Comments:
-washing hair more doesn't speed up the hair loss! The same with rubbing stuff in it.
Keep in mind that hair which falls when you rub stuff in it(oils, etc) it is already in telogen phase(dormant phase), so deep down the hair shaft is already disconnected from the follicle, it is true that when mechanically acting on it, it will fall, but it would surely fall on its own, or at the next wash, because it is no more growing.
A hair follicle who is in the active growing phase is very hard to push out, it doesn't fall so easy, at most you can break it at the surface of the scalp i think, but will continue growing.
Do you get me?
About total bald patch, yes, it can be the case. If you have very thin hair at crown, when it's short it can look almost bald, and after some time when it grows, the lenght can disguise the thin patch more or less.
And you are right, many dermatologists have little knowledge about hair loss and stuff like finasteride.

The only available solutions know are minoxidil and finasteride. Without these two(preferably both of them), anything else is kind of snake oil.
But have in mind: when you start them, finasteride and min can make the hair loss condition temporarily worse, but only temporarily! Patience, much patience, is the key to attepting to treat hair loss.

tali

Reaction score
thanks
my hair can get greasy quickly which doesn't help either .
i did use Toppix powder -which isn't too bad.
With the rubbing stuff on it it is significantly worse than the interaction of combing or running my hands thru it.I thought it may be a first time use issue but on repeat use still visibly marked hair loss
Also my hair is greying -so dyes also help somewhat in darkning the loss area

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
See a different doctor, or get your finasteride online

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
See a different doctor, or get your finasteride online

This. Without using an effective treatment, your hair is as good as gone.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
most doctors are worthless at diagnosing and treating hair loss. A female doctor in particular will know nothing about it. Maybe a male GP who himslef had male pattern baldness might be more informed, but never assume that doctors know everything about medicine, they don't, they are grossly uninformed about a great many things.

tali

Reaction score
most doctors are worthless at diagnosing and treating hair loss. A female doctor in particular will know nothing about it. Maybe a male GP who himslef had male pattern baldness might be more informed, but never assume that doctors know everything about medicine, they don't, they are grossly uninformed about a great many things.

My original GP had male pattern baldness - but he would have been useless as he would have laughed off my concerns.
There is a more sympathetic female GP - but my doctors are now part of a pool -so i never know which one i am going to see.
I believe i cannot the medication get it on paid NHS prescription (£7.40) but only on more expensive private prescription ?

rhine2

Reaction score
I would avoid any doctor who is having male pattern baldness himself to treat my hair loss problem.

tali

Reaction score
Good news -the GP i had to see is a good one and he did me finasteride no probs.And yes he does have male pattern baldness!.GP noted my hairloss was not bad(maybe he was comparing to his NW6 baldness! )and greasiness did not help
Cost me only £5
Tablets are Dr Reddys and are oval shaped.
So i cut into 4 pieces and only take only a quarter each day ?
Hypothetical Question -How long can i go without finasteride for the hairloss to resurface ? a week ? a month ?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
if it is 5mg dose per pill cut them in 4ths if it is 1mg take the whole pill. About how long it will take for your hair loss to start up if you stop finasteride can vary a lot