5AR-Type 1- Kills Receeding Hairline?

stabone1979

Established Member
Reaction score
A recent post mentioned that if taking finasteride it would elevate 5ar-1 which is responsible for frontal thinning, and of course I have this infamous widows peak.
1) If true, would finasteride actually increase Type 1 at the Hairline?
2) If true, I figure spironolactone/minoxidil/ Revivogen would be best for the hairline

Bismarck

Reaction score
stabone1979 said:
A recent post mentioned that if taking finasteride it would elevate 5ar-1 which is responsible for frontal thinning, and of course I have this infamous widows peak.
2) If true, I figure spironolactone/minoxidil/ Revivogen would be best for the hairline

That was my post and I did NOT claim that. Some used 5aR-I predomince in the frontal area (is there really more 5aR-I ?) to explain why finasteride isn't very effective there. There are similar reasons to say that minoxidil worsens frontal hairloss (insulin!). Clinical data does not support these claims.

bis

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Go back and read my topic .. Pirate Commander posted a really good link to a study done with Propecia and Frontal hairloss .. maybe that will answer osme of your questions, it answered mine.

Bismarck

Reaction score
fallout boy said:
Go back and read my topic .. Pirate Commander posted a really good link to a study done with Propecia and Frontal hairloss .. maybe that will answer osme of your questions, it answered mine.

LOL !

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
blaming finasteride on frontal area is unsupported.....its because maybe the frontal area has more/powerful androgen receptors than the rest...

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
all I know since I been on propecia my hair has gotten much worse in the frontal areas Im 2 months in now..and this sucks im scaried i dont even like going outside..:(..my hair is just getting worse and itches now too
I hope propecia is makin my lose hair faster or anything

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
stabone1979 said:

That's very unlikely. A fairly recent in vitro study with human scalp hair follicles showed that androgenic stimulation had no effect on the expression of 5a-reductase type 1.

Bryan

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks chuj but actually my shedding hasnt increased its the same where it was before I started propecia yet my frontal hair looks worse..I just dont get it..but it does itch alotmore..
I dont follow why it looks worse when its shedding the same from my obervation..which i was shedding alot before anyway

stabone1979

Established Member
Reaction score
So whats the best way to inhibit type 1?

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Miracles ..... Bis doesnt that post that Pirate Commander posted atleast show that most people in the study who took propecia maintained in the front too?? more people who werent taking it had a decrease but i do see what you say about it being kind of misleading with even the placebo people having decent results

Petchsky

Reaction score
stabone1979 said:

Avodart does a good job...there are probably other products too.

drinkrum

Reaction score
stabone1979 said:

Castration. Or just take a fork and rip out your hypothalamus in your brain through your nose. That seems to do the trick rather effectively.

D.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jason566 said:
all I know since I been on propecia my hair has gotten much worse in the frontal areas Im 2 months in now..and this sucks im scaried i dont even like going outside..:(..my hair is just getting worse and itches now too
I hope propecia is makin my lose hair faster or anything
You better stay away from dutasteride because that sh*t will make your hair shed like a dog the first couple of months. Your hair will return

stabone1979

Established Member
Reaction score
Oral dutasteride can harm your skin, many people report this, stay away.