5th month on finasteride, shedding SHORT hair.. Is this normal ?!

puntigamer

Reaction score
Hi my balding friends,

I am on finasteride since november 2013, so its my 5th month now. I've started with 0,5mg daily and after 10 weeks i've switched to 1.0 mg per day. Always when i comb my hair or wash it, i see short hair falling with lenght of approx 5mm to 1 cm. I have lenght of my hair about 4-5 cm . Also, i have and itchy skin for about a second week. I will upload some pics soon. Please tell me is this normal ?
Thank you for all your replies

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Probably normal. Your new shedding experience could be a result of your dosage increase. I think you can safely count on this as a positive indicator that the finasteride. is working. Keep us posted. All the best.

Friendslayer

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]ive been on the usual big 3 for about 10 months now.

At about 3 months i had a terrible shed and since then my hair have been recovering at a very good pace.

But in the past month ive noticed that im shedding again. but its not thick long hairs that is falling out. Its hair about half the length of my "normal" hair. its thin hair that is falling similar to the ones i lost during the first shed when i lost a lot of weak miniturized hair. Do you think that these thin hairs are new regrown hair due to the propecia and minoxidil and are shedding only to regrow stronger and thicker?

Maybe its just a spring shed? oppinions?[/FONT]

Fermat

Reaction score
I've been having these short/thin hairs shedding as well. It's never happened before where I've had ONLY short/thin hairs shed (i usually shed long, thicker hairs) so I'm quite positive it's the finasteride, even though I've only been on it for 2 weeks.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
as long as terminal hairs aren't shedding it means that your hairs aren't miniaturizing

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
yea they will shed from normal shedding process, but not in the numbers of a balding person

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia will cause terminal hairs to shed, right?
idk I don't see why it would it theory. However shedding is triggered weeks in advance if I am correct, so I would expect to shed terminal hairs as normal for at least a few weeks on finasteride

Mehrdad

Reaction score
Hi my balding friends,

I am on finasteride since november 2013, so its my 5th month now. I've started with 0,5mg daily and after 10 weeks i've switched to 1.0 mg per day. Always when i comb my hair or wash it, i see short hair falling with lenght of approx 5mm to 1 cm. I have lenght of my hair about 4-5 cm . Also, i have and itchy skin for about a second week. I will upload some pics soon. Please tell me is this normal ?
Thank you for all your replies

Losing hair is probably normal as Finasteride won't do miracles! but itchy skin/scalp isn't.
As a recommendation use Ketoconazole %2 Shampoo (3-times a week in Evening) for a few weeks if itching didn't stop or continues visit a dermatologist.
If you managed to stop itchy skin by using ketoconazole, don't stop using it, as it'll help you stopping hair loss and regrowth.