6 Cancer Fighting Superfoods

HughJass

Reaction score
I'd ditch the walnuts. Too much polyunsaturated fat.

I'm skeptical of beans being good for you as well. What about the phytic acid, lectins and anti-nutrients?

Just ate a bowl of blueberries. With some cherries on them. Hell yeah.

Nene

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I'd ditch the walnuts. Too much polyunsaturated fat.

I'm skeptical of beans being good for you as well. What about the phytic acid, lectins and anti-nutrients?

Just ate a bowl of blueberries. With some cherries on them. Hell yeah.

Beans are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. In addition to having a ton of protein and fiber, they are one of the most antioxidant rich foods out there.

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score
I rather get my protein from lots of dark green veggies and avocado, but I do eat beans from time to time. I've been eating mostly avocados, bananas, berries, and cantaloupe lately.

HughJass

Reaction score
Nene said:
Beans are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. In addition to having a ton of protein and fiber, they are one of the most antioxidant rich foods out there.

aren't they all incomplete proteins (except for soy)?

And there are the anti-nutrients as well. I've seen quite a few animal studies where beans are fed to animals they get sick and die.

finfighter said:
Beans are a good vegetarian source of protein, the phytic acid shouldn't be a problem for people who aren't mineral deficient, not to mention that cooking the beans will cut down on the phytic acid concentration. As far as the lectins are concerned, a normal amount of beans would not be a cause for concern, now if you ate them excessively on a regular basis, that could be bad, but once again cooking them cuts down on the Lectins as well. Overall I think that beans are a good part of a balanced diet, people have been eating them for thousands of years afterall.

cooking doesn't seem to do a great deal much for reducing phytic acid levels:

Cooked-legumes.jpg

soaking them doesn't seem to be much better:

Soaked-legumes.jpg

way too much work! Just cook up a steak!

Nene

Reaction score
I usually eat beans with rice which makes it a complete protein. I don't know what this phytic acid is but I've nerver heard anyone say beans are dangerous.

HughJass

Reaction score
Nene said:
I usually eat beans with rice which makes it a complete protein. I don't know what this phytic acid is but I've nerver heard anyone say beans are dangerous.

Morever, it chelates and thus makes unabsorbable certain important minor minerals such as zinc and iron, and to a lesser extent, also macro minerals such as calcium and magnesium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid

That's why beans have been traditionally soaked before consumption. But nobody really bothers with that anymore. It was stuff like this that made me not want to be a vegetarian.

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Nene said:

Morever, it chelates and thus makes unabsorbable certain important minor minerals such as zinc and iron, and to a lesser extent, also macro minerals such as calcium and magnesium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid

That's why beans have been traditionally soaked before consumption. But nobody really bothers with that anymore. It was stuff like this that made me not want to be a vegetarian.

Which is why sprouting is so popular now in the raw vegan diet.