6 Month Shed on Minoxidil or what?

jassi12

Reaction score
To give a intro to my story, I've been fighting diffuse thinning on top since 16, now 19. My sides and back and thick as ever.

I tried finasteride back in last year Feb for 2 months but noticed decreased/ softer erections and loss of morning wood. I still do not get morning wood till this day but am not having any other ED. I didn't notice much improvement in that time anyways

I then started Minoxidil once a day beggining last July, and felt I was successfully making some regrowth around the 3-4 month mark. However these last two months have just gone utterly downwards and my thinning on top if crazy, even my hairline on which I apply minoxidil has thinned out far more then it ever was. I'm concerned on what could be the cause? I honestly don't feel like I shed much hair on a daily anyways, maybe like 30-40 tops, its always been like that for me. But I feel like whatever I shed, I don't regrow.

This insane thinning has been going on for over a month now and after what I thought was some growth I'm getting discouraged.

Is this some kind of 6 month shed? (I don't even feel like I'm shedding much), should I up thr dose to twice daily? I don't want to risk finasteride again since I haven't exactly FULLY recovered, though I was thinking maybe once a week is better than nothing.

Can I get some insight? I'm acctually buzzing my head tom for first time cause I feel my hair starting to look worse longer now.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had my second shed...about 6 months into the Big Three (finasteride, Minoxidil and Nizoral). It lasted good 5 months and I lost 100 - 200 hairs a day. I couldn't deal with all the thinning and how crappy I looked so had to shave my head. I think things are getting a tiny bit better now...so hang in ther buddy..

deniak

Reaction score
I had my second shed...about 6 months into the Big Three (finasteride, Minoxidil and Nizoral). It lasted good 5 months and I lost 100 - 200 hairs a day. I couldn't deal with all the thinning and how crappy I looked so had to shave my head. I think things are getting a tiny bit better now...so hang in ther buddy..

Hi talmoode, can you give some update? Did situation get better after such long shed? Im experiencing similair thing now.

Last months was stable, but from about two weeks Im suddenly noticing itching, very greasy skin on face and shed kicked in big time. Whats interesting Im applying no more than 0,5 ml 2% minoxidil a day + Nizoral every third day. Im aware about shedding, riding this out and "worst-to-better" scenario, yet Im little scared: Im applying minoxidil only on edge of temple area but I see overall loss of density and small bald spots in whole temples and loss of hairline. Also Im noticing sh!tload of stiff vellus hairs between normal hairs in temple region. My hope is that minoxidil is awaking dormant follicles not speeding up miniaturisation (Im not taking finasteride btw)...