6 months finasteride,no improvement in the crown,add minoxidil?(pics)

G

As the topic states I have been taking Finasteride 1.25mg religiously for the past 5 months, and have been shedding for the last 2 months on it. I still have not experienced any regrowth on the crown of the head which is my problem area.

Should I wait it out on finasteride alone to see if I can get the results I desire within a year, or go ahead and add Minoxidil now?

Physicians prescription for finasteride 5mg

Regimen
-Nizoral 1% 3 days a week
-finasteride 1.25 daily

Baseline picture
anyhope.jpg

5 Months in (no 6 month picture yet)
5monthsin.jpg

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 5 months in on finasteride, no improvement in the crown, add minoxidil?

wait AT LEAST another month, i'd say two before deciding on minoxidil - you're definitely maintaining, and if you've been shedding for two months it could be a very good sign for things to come

G

curiouscharles said:
wait AT LEAST another month, i'd say two before deciding on minoxidil - you're definitely maintaining, and if you've been shedding for two months it could be a very good sign for things to come

Thanks for your response. Hopefully the shedding, as you described, is a sign of good things to come.

If I should wait another one or two months, perhaps I will go ahead and stick it out for a year and see what happens. My reasoning behind this is I doubt I would see regrowth as quickly as 6 or 7 months.

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score

how old are you? how long has your balding been going on for now?

6 or 7 months for some crown regrowth isn't ridiculous - it's the temples that usually take longer to see progression in...

G

22 years old, probably noticed thinning in the crown around 20.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score

where are you getting your finasteride from? from a prescription or online?

G

prescription

beaner

Reaction score

Looks like there's been an improvement to me. Your crown has obviously filled in somewhat in the second picture. Does no one else see this?

heynow1234

Established Member
Reaction score

I know youve heard this before, but according to all the statistics you have to wait at least a year man. Theres actually a ton of people who dont see there best results for 2 years. Good Luck!

blink

Established Member
Reaction score

beaner said:
Looks like there's been an improvement to me. Your crown has obviously filled in somewhat in the second picture. Does no one else see this?

hard to say because he took the pics at different angles. when you take pics of your head at those angles, a slight difference in the angle can make your hair look thicker or thinner.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

Most people need to wait at least 1 year before seeing regrowth on finasteride alone.

I'm currently on month 8 and am still waiting for results. I'm not expecting much to happen for another 4

G

Re: 6 months in on finasteride, no improvement in the crown, add minoxidil?

Update: Six months in, still shedding, same appearance wise. I will try and hold out for another 6 months (totaling 1 year) before adding minoxidil.

Feels pretty hopeless right now...

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
i feel like that everyday, we all do. take a look at the success forum for inspiration, that's what i do :whistle:

G

blink said:
i feel like that everyday, we all do. take a look at the success forum for inspiration, that's what i do :whistle:

True. However it seems the vast majority of users seem to have some indication of success, no matter how small, 6 months in. I still dont see any positive signs. My progress is minimal to non-existent, still shedding etc.

moonbase

Reaction score
I know the lighting has changed.. but your hair looks thicker to me?? Anyone else notice that?

I also think you shouldn't merely rely on drugs to do all the work. Eating well, exercising regularly and taking proper supplements will make a world of difference especially in the area of hair "turn around" time! Making any results of the meds far quicker.

G

moonbase said:
I know the lighting has changed.. but your hair looks thicker to me?? Anyone else notice that?

Seems minimal to non existent to me, and like you stated the lighting is slightly different.

Leezer

Reaction score
Hey, man,

It's a widespread opinion here (and actually a well-proven fact) that minoxidil acts mainly on the crown area. So I would suggest you start minoxidil right away. I see no reason for you to postpone it.

Furthermore, here's what my own experience could tell you. I started minoxidil first, then some half-a-year-or-so later added finasteride. I've been sticking to them both for more than 2 years now. The only region of my scalp I could definitely say I had a decent regrowth is my crown area. And I am sure it is due to the minoxidil, since I had it even before I started finasteride. Thus, my suggestion is go on with the minoxidil. If money is a problem, buy it from ebay (Kirklands minoxidil) - that is the one I am using and that has given me results. If you want further details on anything mentioned above, please contact me.

Good luck!

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
stick it out buddy - i started propecia when i was 23 and noticed nothing until a lil over a year. the change is very very gradual.

minoxidil will def work - but id wait that year- 1.5 year mark before starting