6 Months On Finasteride = Hairline Receded Back A Full Norwood

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Making a second post because no one replied to the first one.

24 year old here, been on finasteride for 6 months consistently every single day since January. 1mg. Also using Big 3 shampoo 2x a week and Art Natural's Argan Oil shampoo the other days. Gotta be careful with shampoos because I have eczema and dry skin. And I'm taking a biotin supplement. I drink a lot of water and eat relatively healthy. Physically active 5 days a week.

Baldness isn't too bad in my family, but thinning definitely is there. However, my hair loss was not very aggressive prior to treatment. I was only a Norwood 2.5. Most of the men in my family didn't even thin until their 40s, so this doesn't make much sense.

Tried Minoxidil on my hairline for about a month and gave up because I got sick of how messy it was.

Fast forward to July 2019, I am now a norwood 3 with a significantly thinner crown.

I've gotten my DHT levels checked and they're very low. Reference range is 15-45 and mine came out at 10. I'm not getting any of the sexual sides or oily skin, but I've never had acne or oily skin in my life. My libido is also pretty normal.

My hairline seems to slowly recede each month and I have pics to prove it. Between months 5 and 6 the temples got bigger and hairs continued to fall out easily. I'm still losing 25-30 hairs in the shower every time.

I will also note that I was on prednisone for my eczema for a couple of weeks, hairline took a hit, but I'm off that now.

I don't want to hear the 3 common responses please:

1) You might be worse off without Finasteride, not everyone gets regrowth
2) WHY ARE YOU MESSING WITH YOUR HORMONES YOU WILL RUIN YOUR PENIS FOR LIFE.
3) Shedding is a good sign

If anyone has advice or insight for me other than this please share. I will upload pics as soon as I can.

I also have a prescription for dutasteride just in case, money is not an issue here.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Making a second post because no one replied to the first one.

24 year old here, been on finasteride for 6 months consistently every single day since January. 1mg. Also using Big 3 shampoo 2x a week and Art Natural's Argan Oil shampoo the other days. Gotta be careful with shampoos because I have eczema and dry skin. And I'm taking a biotin supplement. I drink a lot of water and eat relatively healthy. Physically active 5 days a week.

Baldness isn't too bad in my family, but thinning definitely is there. However, my hair loss was not very aggressive prior to treatment. I was only a Norwood 2.5. Most of the men in my family didn't even thin until their 40s, so this doesn't make much sense.

Tried Minoxidil on my hairline for about a month and gave up because I got sick of how messy it was.

Fast forward to July 2019, I am now a norwood 3 with a significantly thinner crown.

I've gotten my DHT levels checked and they're very low. Reference range is 15-45 and mine came out at 10. I'm not getting any of the sexual sides or oily skin, but I've never had acne or oily skin in my life. My libido is also pretty normal.

My hairline seems to slowly recede each month and I have pics to prove it. Between months 5 and 6 the temples got bigger and hairs continued to fall out easily. I'm still losing 25-30 hairs in the shower every time.

I will also note that I was on prednisone for my eczema for a couple of weeks, hairline took a hit, but I'm off that now.

I don't want to hear the 3 common responses please:

1) You might be worse off without Finasteride, not everyone gets regrowth
2) WHY ARE YOU MESSING WITH YOUR HORMONES YOU WILL RUIN YOUR PENIS FOR LIFE.
3) Shedding is a good sign

If anyone has advice or insight for me other than this please share. I will upload pics as soon as I can.

I also have a prescription for dutasteride just in case, money is not an issue here.

Your genes may be stronger than your current regimen. You could potentially up your game but that also raises the sidea possibility

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your genes may be stronger than your current regimen. You could potentially up your game but that also raises the sidea possibility

Could be true. But i was not shedding whatsoever before finasteride.

Should i wait a year and then switch to dutasteride?

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
throw in ru and your hairloss will most likely stop. You need something blocking the androgens from attacking the hair follicles

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
throw in ru and your hairloss will most likely stop. You need something blocking the androgens from attacking the hair follicles

I don't feel any pain or itching on my scalp though. Do you think i might improve after the year mark?

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's some pics:

First was like 6 weeks ago.
Second was last week or so.

The angle may be a little different. My hair is brushed back. I've always had a big forehead as well.

Attachments

• 20190614_093324(1)~2.jpg
    20190614_093324(1)~2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3,111
  • 20190711_080350~2.jpg
    20190711_080350~2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,967

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i don't think finasteride would turn your situation around seeing your dht being so low already. High t levels maybe the culprit, which ru would block locally.

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So should i ride it out or switch to dutasteride?

Kimda scared to use RU.

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Literally just took this right now. Still receding or has it stopped?

And as for switching I'm scared of another shed where i lose hair and it doesn't come back.. Would that happen?

Attachments

• 20190715_212004~2.jpg
    20190715_212004~2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,376

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Crown. Took this just now.

Attachments

• 20190715_212621~2.jpg
    20190715_212621~2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,423

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They look the same.

These stories are the only reason I am not on finasteride right now. Taking a hair loss treatment making hair loss worse. What the f***.
It's somewhat rare but the stories are definitely there.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think all these stories can be fixed with an AA. Blocking T and DHT would simply nuke male pattern baldness. It is the cure. But not the cure everyone would take unfortunately.

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well remember I'm only 6 months in. My shedding is starting to slow down and the hairs that are falling out are only the thin wispy ones.

The hairs I shed have white bulbs but they aren't tapering. I've heard the tapering is a bad sign no?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well remember I'm only 6 months in. My shedding is starting to slow down and the hairs that are falling out are only the thin wispy ones.

The hairs I shed have white bulbs but they aren't tapering. I've heard the tapering is a bad sign no?
I think sticking to your current regimen will stop your hair loss.

I have the shedded hair tapering towards the root, and yes, it is a very bad sign :(

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like I've said, aggressive balding is not common in my family, moreso just the mid-life slow thinning