8 Month Update!

G

Backround:
19 y/o been thinning since the last months of 2003. Diffuse thinner with some recession mostly on the left temple. Norwood 1.5 ish.

Treatment:
Finasteride(Proscar 1/6th) daily. Started January 20, 2004.
minoxidil 1x a day on temples ONLY. Started end of Feb. 2004.
As for shampoos mostly just T/Gel, somtimes Nizoral and T/Sal too.

Progress:
Extreme decrease in shedding.
Noticable regrowth all over the top of the head due to finasteride.
Right temple is 100%. Left temple has grown back 80%.

Overall I am happy as f*****g hell. Thank you all for the advice I have recieved from this website and forum.

Any questions?

-Badasshairday.

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Good to hear everything is turning out well for you!

Questions:
- Did you shed alot (if any?)
- When did you notice the extreme decrease in shedding?
- When did you notice regrowth?

I am soon hitting my 7 months of propecia. I was shedding lots the first 4 months but I finally thought my hairloss decreased around the 6 month mark - I guess I was a bit wrong really. My front (temples and mid-front) has been taking a huge hit during the shedding period and I'm just curious to when all this is going to turn around and regrow (I know that there's not a real answer to this that's why I'm asking for your experience) Thanks badasshairday!!

G

Well done b**ch!!!!!

It's good that you are getting results on a low(ish) dose regimen, as you can always up the minoxidil and Finasteride in a few years time if you need to.

You should come and hang out at the 'Just gone senior' chat room sometime.

Ty

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Backround:
19 y/o been thinning since the last months of 2003. Diffuse thinner with some recession mostly on the left temple. Norwood 1.5 ish.

Treatment:
Finasteride(Proscar 1/6th) daily. Started January 20, 2004.
minoxidil 1x a day on temples ONLY. Started end of Feb. 2004.
As for shampoos mostly just T/Gel, somtimes Nizoral and T/Sal too.

Progress:
Extreme decrease in shedding.
Noticable regrowth all over the top of the head due to finasteride.
Right temple is 100%. Left temple has grown back 80%.

Overall I am happy as f*****g hell. Thank you all for the advice I have recieved from this website and forum.

Any questions?

-Badasshairday.

how did you break the proscar into 6ths ?

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
yeh, please tell us, how did you see your regrowth? also, had you lost a lot of hair before...was your male pattern baldness aggressive?

G

PartTimeNinja said:
Questions:
- Did you shed alot (if any?)
- When did you notice the extreme decrease in shedding?
- When did you notice regrowth?

About a month before treatment in December i started to shed... big time. I was losing hundreds of hairs in the shower, I'd see them all over the shower floor and bathroom sink, everywhere. I'd run my hand through my hair and pull out like 15 hairs each time.

FInally I got on finasteride Jan 20, 2004. I didn't notice anything but the continue of the horid shedding. I was losing hairs all the time, I had oily scalp and inflamation. About 2 months into treatment, the oily scalp started to disapate. Then at month 4 i noticed less shedding. I was still shedding a lot, but not as much as before. Months 5-7 my shedding was like a roller coaster. Some days i would shed a lot, other days i would barely shed at all. About last month, my shedding drastically reduced. Today i shampooed my hair and seriously only noticed 2 hairs on my hand.

My hair looked about the same the first 5 months, then slowly it has been getting better and better. The quality on the top of my head is getting so much better and thicker. It's fuckin awesome.

I would have to say my male pattern baldness seemed very agressive. At its lowest point probably about 2 months into treatment it looked very thin if viewed from up top. My increased shedding started a month before ever starting treatment so i can't even say that finasteride caused me to shed. All i know is that its making my hair better and better. I caught my male pattern baldness very early and am thankful for that.

how did you break the proscar into 6ths ?

Easily. I took a pill cutter and cut it in half long ways first. Then took each of the halves and cut them into 3 pieces.

G

PartTimeNinja said:
I am soon hitting my 7 months of propecia. I was shedding lots the first 4 months but I finally thought my hairloss decreased around the 6 month mark - I guess I was a bit wrong really. My front (temples and mid-front) has been taking a huge hit during the shedding period and I'm just curious to when all this is going to turn around and regrow (I know that there's not a real answer to this that's why I'm asking for your experience) Thanks badasshairday!!

PartTimeNinja,
You know what? earlier into my treatment, even at up until month 6 I would sometimes feel my hair looked a whole lot worse, then other days I would be amazed at how good it looked. But when it all came down to it, my hair really hadn't gotten any worse at all. I'm sure that in a few months time, you will really notice good stuff. Now i look at my hair, and everyday I'm happy with it.

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate, Appricate your answers here. As I wrote I'm getting very close to finishing my 7 months on finasteride and I started shedding again like crazy! I am going insane :freaked2:

It stopped a month ago and has started back up again.

I guess i just need to hear everything is going to be okay..... :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
Every thing is going to be ok.... most people suffer another big shed around months 7-10....chill Winston.

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, this thread is certainly very incouraging, as my situation sounds almost EXACTLY like badasshairday's.

And I'm six months in now on the same exact regimen and my shedding has just suddenly almost stopped in the last month or so.

Only thing is, I still get kinda distressed seeing even two hairs on my hands after shampooing. I swear, I've gone crazy. :lol: