9 month: think about switching back to finasteride

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

my situation has gotten worse. Last 10 weeks my front did get thinner! Here are pics:

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Xmas 2005 i had a much better status than now. The first month with dutasteride did make my hair even a bit better but after month 7-8 this frontal thinning did start!!! How would you rank the front? Sorry i have no earlier pictures, but is this shedding or demolition?
I had really good success with finasteride, wanted more with dutasteride, but perhaps finasteride is better for me? A dose of 5mg finasteride a day perhaps? Could i eventually expect the front recover again? Is this possible?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
You're looking good, man!

That's a solid hairline.

It's up to you.

Why not give dutasteride a solid year before you make the change?

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Why not give dutasteride a solid year before you make the change?
Because it did get much worse in the last 1-3 month usining dutasteride! The top and the front thinned out like hell! Believe me it was much better before dutasteride.
What should dutasteride make for me? Grow back the thinned out hair?
Couldn't this make finasteride? Do you think in the next 2-3 month that will complete the dutasteride-year can get better? I think not.

docj077

Reaction score
I wish I had microassays of 20-30 patients taking dutasteride and 20-30 taking finasteride.

I want to see the conc. of Testosterone, DHT, TGF-beta, and IGF-1 in their scalp hair.

It would make figuring out this whole problem much easier as it seems to me that any side effect related to the 5AR type II inhibiting ability of the drug should be the same side effect that you would have on propecia. And yet, people seem to loose their hairline on dutasteride.

It's a mystery.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Well Jacky,

it's entirely up to you. Swapping treatments isn't the safest and best course of action, but you're a grown man, and you exactly what's going on with your hair.

Personally, I'm a little saddened to see a fellow dutasteride user go, and one who started at nearly the same time as me.

Have you considered Rogaine?

If you do go back to using finasteride, don't use 5mg a day. That's a bit overkill, and the sexual side effects of 5% finasteride are still above dutasteride.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Well Jacky,

it's entirely up to you. Swapping treatments isn't the safest and best course of action, but you're a grown man, and you exactly what's going on with your hair.

Personally, I'm a little saddened to see a fellow dutasteride user go, and one who started at nearly the same time as me.

Have you considered Rogaine?

If you do go back to using finasteride, don't use 5mg a day. That's a bit overkill, and the sexual side effects of 5% finasteride are still above dutasteride.
Sorry, i have also side-effects from dutasteride. My penis is flabby, i have some bad moods, concentration problems, dry skin, deflection on left hand. Low libido (am single but could have problems with girls); shortly said: i cannot anyway use dutasteride my life long. So perhaps it is now the right moment to switch. I am so undecided. I read on "usa-direkt" (http://www.usa-direkt.de/avodart.htm) that dutasteride makes not much difference in comparison to finasteride, based on the folicles.

f*** - i just dont know if the thinning is shedding or demoltion.
If it is demolition it is gone - thats clear - but i think this cannot happen so fast???
If it is shedding - comes the hair back if i switch to finasteride?

What do you mean with "5% finasteride"? Do you mean 5mg? Do you know that 0.5mg dutasteride is comparisable to 25mg finasteride?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
You know that losing hair is a looong annual process, and it takes many many years to lose hair, in most cases.

I highly doubt that dutasteride is "demolishing" your follicles-- that's more likely to be stress.

Sure, you can try switching to back to finasteride.

I think you'll maintain your Norwood 1-1.5 status for many years to come.

Goodluck buddy

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
You know that losing hair is a looong annual process, and it takes many many years to lose hair, in most cases.

I highly doubt that dutasteride is "demolishing" your follicles-- that's more likely to be stress.

Sure, you can try switching to back to finasteride.

I think you'll maintain your Norwood 1-1.5 status for many years to come.

Goodluck buddy
I will switch back. Some other users in the german forum have the same problems with dutasteride. I would think different if my state did't get worse WITH dutasterid. But it did get worse! I never saw the head skin so extremly shining through.
Do you really think that 5mg finasteride has more side effects than 0.5mg dutasteride? I cannot believe this.

G

Hair looks good Jacky.

I've noticed more of an erection sofntess problem on dutasteride than I did on finasteride but it doesn't bother me. it doesn't stop me from "getting there" and I am still able to satisfy my girlfriend.

I would honestly stay on dutasteride if I were you but of course you have to do what you think is best.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
I had not look very much for Rogaine. I did start 2 weeks ago with Dr. Proctor hair regrowth formula shampoo (http://www.hairshopeurope.com/shop/deta ... 5&path=1,5).
This has some "natural minoxidil ingredients". And of course this shampoo did not trigger the thinning (too little time).
How much does Rogaine cost?

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
I would honestly stay on dutasteride if I were you but of course you have to do what you think is best.
Why? It thinned my top and front of hair.

G

Jacky81 said:
JayMan said:
Why? It thinned my top and front of hair.

Can you directly attribute that to dutasteride? People have a tendency to blame the drugs first every time. As aplunk said there can be other factors, and you should give it the full 12 months to work because that hair will most likely come back if it did shed because of dutasteride.

My top and frontal top are thinning on dutasteride but I've only been on it 2 months. I think Aplunk thinned and shed as well on dutasteride before he got better. I'm going to give mine the full 12 months.

Felk

Reaction score
Jacky, I don't think any one here can give you certain information as to whether dutasteride. or finasteride. would be better for you. I think you should ask a professional, and if not, do the research yourself and come to your own decision. However don't let people's reports of frontal thinning on dutasteride. put you off, it could make you see something that isn't happening.

However, I second Aplunk's rogaine suggestion. People seem to forget the fact that in all the trials rogaine grew a lot more hair than dutasteride. It certainly works, and if need more power in your hair loss arsenal, definately add it.

To make things even better, minoxidil has recently been significantly improved - the new Rogaine foam is more effective, easier to use, and cosmetically acceptable.

CCS

Reaction score
generic rogaine, called minoxidil, is available in drug stores for $7 for 60 mL, which lasts a month. If 5% is too greasy or does not spread far enough, dilute it with 190 proof everclear to make 2.5%, then use twice as much. Adding some borage seed oil to it will keep the redness away. Minoxidil does not stop the balding processes. It will give you more hair in front, but it will mask any hair loss that dutasteride is not stopping. Us it if your thinness is really bothering you, but wait on it if you want to know your pills are helping you. rogaine is a liquid you put on your head. does not look good. I recommend using it 2 hours before a shower, so it is not in your hair all day.

I looked at your before and after pics, and they look the same to me. But I'm sure you can see your hair more clearly than we can. dutasteride's and finasteride's limitations are their inability to stop testosterone.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I looked at your before and after pics, and they look the same to me.
Sorry, that are not before and after pics. The pics are all from yesterday.

collegechemistrystudent said:
dutasteride's and finasteride's limitations are their inability to stop testosterone.
I know this fact but why do i now, arround month 8-9 with dutasteride thin so much? Can this be shedding? My hair looks not so bad but the front and top thinned and that scares me.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Can you directly attribute that to dutasteride? People have a tendency to blame the drugs first every time. As aplunk said there can be other factors, and you should give it the full 12 months to work because that hair will most likely come back if it did shed because of dutasteride.
Yes. I took it 9 month and it did get worse the last 1-3 month. If i know they will come back i would continue with dutasteride. But i am afraid that thing will get even worse!

JayMan said:
My top and frontal top are thinning on dutasteride but I've only been on it 2 months. I think Aplunk thinned and shed as well on dutasteride before he got better. I'm going to give mine the full 12 months.
Shedding after 2 month is common but in month 8-9? Perhaps the hormonical household is confused and this damaged the hair?

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Another thing: the hair generelly got a bit thinner in its structure. More fine. Is this good or bad? Perhaps dutasteride does change my hair very much? And needs more time?

G

I can't comment from my own experience because I've only been on it 2 months. But since you've been on it 9 months what's 3 more going to hurt? Just my opinion.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
I can't comment from my own experience because I've only been on it 2 months. But since you've been on it 9 months what's 3 more going to hurt? Just my opinion.
Yes, you are right. I have decided this morning that i continue with dutasteride until the 12 months are "full".
Somehow my hair does not look bad, it has just thinned. Somehow i think this is a shedding. And after shedding the hairs comes back.
Also i consider "saisonal sheddings", last year i also had thin hair in the summer, summer is over now perhaps it was a summer shedding and a synchronistic dutasteride shedding. I took 3 dutasterides this morning: one for last saturday (sunday i took one), one for last monday, one for today.
Tomorrow i will continue with 0.5mg dutasteride daily as usual.
I must try it now. I will never know if i stop now.

chromedomefear

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

From all of his relpies, Jacky obviously wants to make the switch and has already made up his mind. Just let him go.

College,

rogaine is a liquid you put on your head. does not look good. I recommend using it 2 hours before a shower, so it is not in your hair all day.

You posted completely opposite advice a few months ago. What's the deal with your thought process on that. Do you really think that the rogaine has done all that it can, and been completely absorbed within 2 hours? Why then is it recommended to not work out (sweat) for 4 hours after application?

CDF