9 Months on Propecia.. hair thinned out massively

EricGerard

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm 23 and I've been on 1.25mg finasteride/day for 9 months since noticing my receding hairline. My hair at that time was quite thick, and I only had the receding hairline. Well, 9 months on and my hairline hasn't changed at all.. maybe some regrowth even. But here is the weird thing.. within the last 2-3 months I'd say, my hair has thinned out all over dramatically. I'd say I've lost at least 30% of my hair on the top of my head in this short period. The hair on the sides is also thinner, but the back seems fine. I started using minoxidil a few weeks ago to counteract this rapid thinning, and I'm going to see a dermo pretty soon. I had blood work done and haven't received a call back, so everything is probably OK in that department.

What gives? How could I possibly lose that much hair in that short a time, WHILE being on propecia? I have been under a lot of stress recently with school, as well as girl problems. I worry about hair loss constantly. I always feel sick to my stomach and I'm starting to get depressed over all this. It feels like a viscious cycle that I have absolutely no control over.. because I am currently doing everything I can to fight it. My brother has been on finasteride for years and actually regrew some hair... I also have no history of diffuse loss in my family.

Anybody had a similar experience and got out of it OK?

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score
I think adding minoxidil should work well for you. Any sides from 9 months finasteride?

EricGerard

Reaction score
Thanks! I hope so. No serious sides. I had a tender nipple once for about a week, and watery ejaculate that lasted for maybe a month.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
I would also be interested in hearing an update. The general wisdom I believe is that any hair lost while on propecia can be regained if you're a positive respondent to the treatment. It's also extremely helpful to take pictures once you've started any treatment.