90sKid's Story - (Age 19, When it matters)

G

Ok, well here's my story and i am hopeful that someone here can help.
I am 19 years old. I am university student and my life is starting to crumble very slowly.
My friends would tell me all the time my hair is thinning out at the back etc...
So i finally went to my family doctor she said Come back in a month if its worse because it could be a mature hairline etc.

dsc00117iz5.jpg

*up close

dsc00118zr2.jpg

* far away

dsc00123ef7.jpg

my comb over technique

dsc00119ju9.jpg

*my real hair with no combing just running my hair through my hair.

As you can see my hair is thinned out in the back.
I have the horseshoe thing going on in the front but my hairline is sorta strong.
My hair loss can't be genetics because i have 3 sisters and 2 brothers and NONE OF them have this issue. Neither does my father or mother or any of their siblings or my grandparents.

What i want to know is should i start taking the big 3 or whatever they are called.
Can you please give me advice and also what i should do and the retail names and generic name of the products i should be taking.
My hair is very light and fluffy and some what curly. It always used to be thick and curly. I'd like my hair to be back where it is before July as i am attending my sisters wedding would it be possible?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: When it matters

To me it looks like pretty classic genetic pattern balding - it is odd that none of your relatives has any baldness - I know there are tests you can do to confirm if its genetic balding or not - someone else might be able to advise on what those are.

If it is genetic pattern baldness...which it certainly looks like to me... get on propecia immediately - don't listen to your stupid doctor telling you to see if it gets worse - the sooner you get on propecia the better chance you have. If your family doctor won't give you a prescription schedule an appt with a local dermatologist and get one from him.

Namebrand costs about $70/month. you can buy generics online without a prescription (finpecia for one) - or some people get a prescription for proscar, which is a 5mg finasteride pill (propecia has 1mg per pill), and chop it up into pieces which is also cheaper. if you've got the money i'd highly recommend just going namebrand propecia.

get on that, and only that, and give it a few months and see if things improve. after a few months you can decide if you want to add rogaine foam, but i would suggest NOT starting both at the same time. The third treatment people use is an anti-fungal shampoo called Nizoral which should be used once or twice a week. It didn't do much for me, and I don't recommend it or use it (many do).

you're going to hear all sorts of sh*t about how propecia is evil and will kill you - for a very small percentage of people (like 2% or less) there can be pretty awful side effects, but for the far majority there are none, and if there are they'll go away if you stop taking it. There is a risk however, and the drug has only been on the market for 10 years, so no definitive studies have been done on long term effects. for me, keeping my hair is worth the risk.

1. confirm it is genetic balding - there are tests you can do to confirm this
2. get a prescription for propecia and start taking it daily
3. reevaluate in a month or two and consider adding rogaine foam

you could DEFINITELY expect results by july if you to respond to propecia.

s.a.f

Reaction score

I agree with trying Propecia but I think getting decent results by July is a longshot. Merck recommend waiting 9months before evaluating. When it comes to hair nothing happens in a short space of time.
This guy seems to have very aggressive m.p.b.
I wish him luck but as a one off occasion he could use toppic for the wedding.

G

Should i cut my hair with a clipper 1 or 2". and then start taking propecia. I see some people had results with both the foam and propecia. Also since i have to pay for it and i live in Canada and its not covered is there anyway around this?

:sobbing:

So should i leave my hair as is and take propecia. or cut it then start medicating?
Also I start university by September. I don't want to look like alukemia patient or something :sigh:
I dont see how it could be genetics because no1 in my family either side has had this issue. I have confirmed it.

Im not familiar with the jargons but what is toppic and what will it do for me?
and whats the test i ask for exactly?
I don't know any dermatologists, only my family doctor so do i just hit up any dermatologist?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

90sKid said:
Should i cut my hair with a clipper 1 or 2". and then start taking propecia. I see some people had results with both the foam and propecia. Also since i have to pay for it and i live in Canada and its not covered is there anyway around this?

:sobbing:

So should i leave my hair as is and take propecia. or cut it then start medicating?
Also I start university by September. I don't want to look like alukemia patient or something :sigh:
I dont see how it could be genetics because no1 in my family either side has had this issue. I have confirmed it.

Im not familiar with the jargons but what is toppic and what will it do for me?
and whats the test i ask for exactly?
I don't know any dermatologists, only my family doctor so do i just hit up any dermatologist?

Maybe not all the way down to a 1 or 2", I still think you have lots of hair - but definitely a short/clean cut. As fruity as it sounds you might want to check out a real hair salon rather then the barbershop on the corner - its more expensive but they do a better job, and be honest about what you want.

My personal suggestion is to take propecia for a month or two before adding foam - but other people might advise differently.

Toppik is a topical concealer - there are other brands too (nanogen, dermatch) - basically it is synthetic hair fibers that you sprinkle on your head like dust and it does a really amazing job of clinging to the hair you have and disguising baldness - it would definitely work well for you - but its not a solution to the problem, just a concealer.

Yes- any dermatologist will do - most areas will have dermatology clinics that just do dermatology work - search your local yellow pages or ask your hospital - once you find a dermatology clinic just call them up and schedule an appointment.

Not sure on the male pattern baldness genetic hair test - you could ask the derm.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score

why do i have the sudden urge to scratch my balls after looking at your hair?

buzz it down with a 1..will look much better.

omarrodriguez

Reaction score

Wow bro...you and I have very similar hair and balding pattern!

As for your question, No my hair did not look like that when I was you age. As you can see from my story, it started like around 22 and from there I was steadily losing hair but not any rapid rate.

Now, Im 25 and this year has been the worse it has accelerated at warp speeds!!

Here's my story:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44703&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

So my advise to you is dont wait to start treatment like me. Look at how bad it has gotten for me only if had started earlier maybe I could have salvaged what I have lost.

As for my advice for you, Im still in the process of trying to find a good regiment, this is what I will be starting soon:
-Revivogen Scalp Therapy
-Rogaine Foam 5%
-Nizoral

Note that I am using Reviovegen as my DHT Inhibitor then finasteride. I am really paraniod about sides and knowing my body I am sure to develop them, so hopefully this works...ill post soon as I get the materials.

Anyways good luck man! Keep us updated!

G

So it looks like my temples r starting to go. I seems like everytime i brush my hair or wash my hair i lose more hair i see more hair on my hands as well.
So i decided to:
1. cut my hair with clipper blade guard 1
2. Start to take propecia on monday.
3 What can i do for my temples?
Should i take rogain foam or what?
I really need someone's help, I don't want hair to run my life. I want to run my own life and be in control.

G

yup, so my hair is now definitely worse, its even shorter and and much thinner than those pics.
Life sucks so much right now that i even thought about suicide, wow :(

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Shaving your head is a good idea. You can apply the meds a lot easier.

I think you should jump on ebay and pick up 3-4 months of Rogaine Foam and start applying it to your crown and mid scalp region immeadiately in combination with propecia.

Dont lose hope man, things can really improve for you, more than you might imagine, in 6-12 months time you could be looking a full head of hair again :)

You should be excited not upset or disapointed. At least now you're actually doing something about it! You could be a super responder :)