95ZJ's Story - ( 20 /and aggressively thinning hair.)

95ZJ

Reaction score
Since around the 8th grade I've had problems with my hair. I developed trichotillomania around this time and since then it had gotten progressively worse until I more or less manned up and overcame it. I still have my bouts with hair pulling every now and again, but that is besides the point I'm raising here. Coming into my freshman year of college, my hair was lightly thinning in the crown area and I was slowly developing a bald spot on the top. I tried tea-tree shampoos, Nioxin, coal-tar shampoo, T/Gel, etc. thinking it was a fungus causing my hair loss; but to no avail, nothing seemed to work. In fact, after I quit using these specialty shampoos, the hair loss continued and in some sense worsened. Fast forward to now, my junior year of school, I'm 20 years old (turning 21 in three months), and I'm having to deal with an extremely aggressive case of thinning hair.

Due to the thinning hair my self esteem has taken a sledgehammer blow to the face. In high school, I was THAT guy. I was the guy that would take the initiative, I'd introduce myself on a whim, I'd make everyone laugh, etc. Now, I've been reduced to a mere shell and shadow of my old self. I sit in the back of the class hunched over, wearing a hood or a hat majority of the time, and am extremely reclusive/socially anxious from talking to people. Not to mention my love life has more or less been hit or miss the past three years, with my last serious relationship ending in a tragedy similar to the magnitude of the Rape of Nanking. Because of this I'm now extremely introverted, but yet I yearn for that interaction I've grown up used to.

Since I started noting my hairloss (around the same time I got over trichotillomania, 18) I've always mentally disputed that I wasn't losing my hair and it was just stress/follicles waiting to regrow as I had been pulling them out. After three years of waiting I've grown impatient, and I'm doing something about it. This upcoming Monday, February 8, 2010, I have an appointment with a dermatologist regarding some skin spots I've developed and my balding self. I've attached some pictures for some advice/insight, but I know my odds of success are pretty bleak. Besides going to the doctor, I'm going to the gym 5 days a week and am currently on a massive weight loss regimen.

As for results, like I said, I realize I'm pretty far gone and my results are most likely looking pretty bleak...but that doesn't mean I won't hold my spirits high and follow whatever my doctor tells me. I'm willing to put all of my trust in his expert opinion, and if his opinion is doubtful, then I'll consider other options. Speaking of, I'm contemplating on just buzzing my hair down to about what Jason Statham has but I'm scared about what I will look like. I don't know if I have the facial/bone structure necessary to pull off a buzz. I've always had thick hair (until recently), and I'm not sure if I could go through with it knowing I'm going to look AWFUL.

And here's a recent front shot of me to show my hair line.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 95ZJ's story: 20 years old and aggressively thinning hair.

I'll tell you what many have told me on this forum, and what i've seen work for other guys. Get onto a regimen, whether it's the famed 'big 3' or a combination of those. See if that works for you. Having said that, if you're not familiar with what the 'big 3' is, it consists of Finasteride (how much depends on you), Minoxidil and Nizoral. Many seem to respond to these three products, others also respond to a combination of them and other, you just gotta see what works for you and stick with it.

95ZJ

Reaction score

I just started using Nizoral two weeks ago and have been using it every 3-4 days. The odd thing about my hair shedding is that either I don't notice it, or it doesn't really happen in the shower, at most I'll have 30-50 hairs come out. During the day I'll see them fall on the table I'm at or on my clothes, but I just figured that normal. It's never 20-40 hairs, but a few will fall out if I run my hand through my head.

Another question for you guys. For the past two years I've been getting these terrible sores on my head that start off looking similar to a small pimple, and then fester into a full on sore. When I scratch them they bleed and take weeks to heal fully (some haven't ever fully gone away). Do you think this could be what's attributing to my hair loss? I already believe I have a cancer spot on my arm, and knowing that is what makes me think its not as much male pattern baldness as it could be something else.

Also, do you think I should immediately start on minoxidil and Pregaine shampoo on my off days of Nizoral? I might just buzz my hair down at the beginning of my treatment so I don't have to go through the shedding so much.

95ZJ

Reaction score

I've got my derm appointment tomorrow. Anything I should ask him?

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
you have male pattern baldness, no use being in denial. get your derm to look at that 'cancer' spot, which isnt but it's safe to have it looked at. then ask for proscar and split it into fours and take one everyday.

95ZJ

Reaction score
Spot is on my arm; m grandmother died of milanoma, and its a pink crusty sore surrounded by dark freckles. My mother wants me to get it checked out for her peace of mind, and I want to get it checked out along with all of the sores I constantly get on my scalp for my own peace of mind.

As for treatment, should I ask if I should go on minoxidil at the same time as Proscar? I'm already using Nizoral three times a week, and I bought some generic minoxidil three months ago...but I didn't know if I should use it or not.

Also, quick question...is there a correlation between chest/back hair and male pattern baldness? From a young age I've had a lot of chest hair, and within the past three years alot of back hair.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score
well you should definitely get those spots checked out, a family history puts you at higher risk but isnt a deciding factor.

your hairloss is aggressive and i'd hop on minoxidil+proscar at the same time. if it weren't so bad, you could afford to lose some time trying one or the other. generic minoxidil has alcohol in it, which will likely irritate your skin. if it does, just use it once a day instead of twice a day. if problems persists, get foam if money isnt an issue.

and there is little correlation b/t body hair and male pattern baldness. hairy people have male pattern baldness just like non-hairy people have male pattern baldness. even if there's a correlation, it would not change how you go about your treatments either way.

you'll get the hang of what treatments/dosage you should use if you frequent this board more.

Hoppi

Reaction score
95ZJ said:
Spot is on my arm; m grandmother died of milanoma, and its a pink crusty sore surrounded by dark freckles. My mother wants me to get it checked out for her peace of mind, and I want to get it checked out along with all of the sores I constantly get on my scalp for my own peace of mind.

As for treatment, should I ask if I should go on minoxidil at the same time as Proscar? I'm already using Nizoral three times a week, and I bought some generic minoxidil three months ago...but I didn't know if I should use it or not.

Also, quick question...is there a correlation between chest/back hair and male pattern baldness? From a young age I've had a lot of chest hair, and within the past three years alot of back hair.

yup, as I understand it, there is :)

As far as I can make out, because DHT (and possibly testosterone, but I don't think so) is the cause of male body hair (that develops during puberty) and also thinning hair on the head, the two can go hand in hand.

I'm with Draco on this one that your best bet is to get on a regimen :) If it were me just like, giving my opinion on your current hair loss I would say it looks worse than it is in some places. As I understand it, pretty much anywhere there are even the tiniest little faint hairs coming through, there is hope :)

Even if the area is totally bald, there is still a little bit of hope!

I know it's all pretty harsh, but I think it's just one of those things that many guys have to live with - male pattern baldness. Those spots are something to get looked at though, they could suggest a number of things but still really nothing that changes the overall diagnosis.

In terms of building up a regimen, it's my understanding that male pattern baldness is caused by a small number of things. The hair follicles sensitivity to DHT, the amount of sebum (oil/grease) on a person's head and in their follicles, and the amount of DHT that is flooding and surrounding the follicles.

There is a chance your hair loss may be partly caused by sebum as suggested by those spots, but that could be a complete misdiagnosis - you'll have to ask that dermatologist in order to get your answer I think :)

The good news is that in this day and age, most of this stuff is in some way treatable, it just might be a little bit of work that's all!

Good luck at the dermatologist anyway and take care,

Hoppi!

95ZJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Hoppi! I have always had extremely greasy hair (sometimes have to wash my hair twice a day).

But my derm saw me, said I have some type of acne on my scalp and prescribed me Doxycycline 100mg twice daily. He then gave me a script for Propecia ($72!!!!) and suggested I start on that and Rogaine immediately. What gives me hope is that in my vertex I have TONS of colorless hairs that have been sprouting the past few months, but haven't really progressed past that stage. My hairline in the front also has had tiny white hairs sprouting where my hairline used to be in early highschool...so I'm hoping the addition of Propecia and minoxidil will help bring me back even 60% of the way.

I'll post monthly updates, but for the most part I might try and stay away from the boards. I want to keep my mind off of my hair, focus on the treatment, and let it do its thing. See you guys March 9th!

95ZJ

Reaction score
I know I said I wasn't going to post until March 9th, but holy lord am I shedding. Christ, I thought it took longer than 5 days for things to get into a swing.

I wear a black shirt at my job, and today I looked down at it and could only think, "Jesus, I'm shedding more than a Saint Bernard in the Texas summer." Please tell me this will get better! I'm not even out of my first week!

95ZJ

Reaction score
Alright guys, nearly two months in and a change has definitely started to happen. For the first time since February 9th I took a serious look at my hair today, and was a little taken aback by the small results I'm already getting. Not only has the shedding completely stopped, but I THINK I'm beginning to experience some regrowth. I'll post pics later when I get the chance, I'm just a little busy right now with school work. I just figured I'd let you guys know how everything is going since I hadn't posted in awhile.