A little empathy and advice please

Chadman

Reaction score
Typical story: Premature hair loss, went through years of denial, etc. I'm not going to regurgitate my story, because I know you all know what I'm going through. I'm 24 now, and I started really noticing loss when I was about 21, and that was some of the most stressful times in my professional life.

Let me first state that I'm rather against a pharmaceutical solution for regrowth. I think I can learn to overcome the emotional detriment hairloss has caused, so my main concern at this moment is not losing anymore hair. In a few years I might consider an FUE hair transplant, or I might wait to see what else is offered.

I'm probably about a Norwood III or IV I'd say, and I know I should have started earlier (denial of course). I've read these forums quite a bit, but can anyone provide general guidance that might help me retain what I have without resorting to pharmaceutical solutions (e.g. Proscar, etc.). Revivogen + spironolactone perhaps?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
without pharmaceuticals?

God's will be done.

Chadman

Reaction score
Can't blame a guy for trying, can you? I merely meant that I don't wish to take finasteride for the rest of my life to keep my hair. I understand that others have fantastic success with "the big 3", but I have personal aversions to its use that leaves me seeking other solutions.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dont take it for the rest of your life then,. try taking it for the next 3-5, maybe 10 years. At that point you can decide if you want to start losing your hair again (baring some breakthroughs in hair restoration).

A lot of people dont want to take finasteride, and I suppose its understandable. But its really the best solution out there.

If you really cant bare to take finasteride, you can try topical DHT inhibitors. They might help.

daedalus

Reaction score
Chad, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 27 now and starting noticing my hairloss around 24 or 25. I'm also opposed to pharmaceutical solutions. I just don't think it's worth the potential risk.

I've been using revivogen for about a year now. I'm a diffuse thinner and while I can't say that I've seen much regrowth, I have managed to maintain most of the hair I had. Honestly, I don't know if my maintenance is due to the revivogen or I'm just losing my hair very slowly. But I'd give it a try and see how it works for you. Out of the non-pharmaceutical options out there, it's probably the one with the most science behind it.

Probably the best investment I've made so far regarding my hair is a quality set of hair clippers. I keep my hair buzzed with a #1 setting, and it helps a whole lot. I suggest you buzz your hair and see how you like it. It made me think about hairloss much less. Good luck to you and keep use posted on your results.

Chadman

Reaction score
Thanks all!

I can't tell you how much I'd love to buzz my head, but I just can't quite get there yet. I've kept my hair pretty much the same way for the past 8 years or so (it was longer in high-school, and shorter for the past 6 years or so--just not near buzz short), so the impact might be a little much for me. I am slowly getting there though by having my hair cut shorter each time. Eventually I'll get it to buzz length :) I also don't think I have a head that looks good with a buzz, but I guess I can't really say as I haven't had it that short since I was a kid.

I'll give Revivogen a try, because it's better than doing what I'm doing now, and I've read many say that they at least notice a decent cosmetic difference.

Thanks!