A question on shedding...

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I started finasteride two weeks ago. Its been flawless since...no side effects whatsoever. But I am expecting an impending shed of course, at some time. Here is my question...

When you shed, are you shedding just hair that was regrown...hair that is undergoing follicle shrinkage, healthy hair...or what? Even if I'm a norwood 2 and have no crown or vertex loss at all will I lose some of that? What hair is going to be lost?

My regards,
wizzle fizzle, 33

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Someones gotta know something...

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Somebody knows the answer to this, theres only 352356 OMG IM SHEDDING threads a week. HEELLLLOOOOO

:shock:

Deaner

Reaction score
Yea, and there's also a thousand other posts that answer this question. It's hair that's been shocked into starting a new growth cycle as a result of your treatment, and therefore needs to fall out and go through its resting phase before it begins anew, with a stronger, healthier hair.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Deaner said:
Yea, and there's also a thousand other posts that answer this question. It's hair that's been shocked into starting a new growth cycle as a result of your treatment, and therefore needs to fall out and go through its resting phase before it begins anew, with a stronger, healthier hair.

I doubt that hairs are "shocked" to after 2 weaks on finasteride...

bis

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Bismarck said:
Deaner said:

I doubt that hairs are "shocked" to after 2 weaks on finasteride...

bis

I didn't mean I was shedding yet, I was just preparing for the storm.

Thanks for the answer Deaner. I did a search and all I could find was "help i'm shedding. response: its ok ride it out" threads, so I just made a new thread.

Bismarck

Reaction score
If you have male pattern baldness, many hairs in the affected area are in the telogen phase which means they they are going to fall out in the next time.
If you use minoxidil, you stimulate the follicle to produce a new hair which pull out the hair in the telogen phase. Since that happens at the same time you will notice increased hairloss (=shedding, [that's how I understand that word]).
Finasteride isn't a growth stimulant and I don't think you'll notice much shedding if at all.

bis

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
im think i started shedding about 2 weeks after finasteride, i think its possible. remember, a hair growing can take a long time, but a hair dropping out takes a split second