About to start propecia for first time. have Qs, also price?

G

I just got a prescription from the doctor, but even still I am anxious and nervous about starting. I am 23.

Couple important Qs:

1) The main reason I want to do this is to stop & reduce the thinning above my temples which I have noticed for 1 year +. Will it work for this frontal area, or will things only get worse? (I have read a lot of scary posts on this forum).

2) How much $$$ should I expect to pay at the pharmacy? I don't want generic, or proscar. Just the regular propecia price. Are some pharmacies cheaper than others (Kroger vs. drug stores, etc)?

3) Does insurance help pay for it?

4) I will also be using nizoral 1% every other day, but NOT minoxidil. Is this OK / bad? Iff it's very bad, should I start the propecia NOW, or wait to start until I have minoxidil?

Help, advice, and answers are greatly appreciated.

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: About to start propecia for first time. have Qs, also pr

guest2 said:
I just got a prescription from the doctor, but even still I am anxious and nervous about starting. I am 23.

Couple important Qs:

1) The main reason I want to do this is to stop & reduce the thinning above my temples which I have noticed for 1 year +. Will it work for this frontal area, or will things only get worse? (I have read a lot of scary posts on this forum).

It may reduce the thinning, ie. regrow some hair in this area. It may just stop the hair thinning any further, or even just slow down the thinning process. One thing's for sure, your hair will be better off than if you didn't start propecia at all.

2) How much $$$ should I expect to pay at the pharmacy? I don't want generic, or proscar. Just the regular propecia price. Are some pharmacies cheaper than others (Kroger vs. drug stores, etc)?

No idea I'm afraid, I buy generic off the net.

4) I will also be using nizoral 1% every other day, but NOT minoxidil. Is this OK / bad? Iff it's very bad, should I start the propecia NOW, or wait to start until I have minoxidil?

I've been taking finasteride for six months with positive results, I've never used minoxidil, I just pop the pill and wash my hair with nizoral 2% every three days.

The sooner you start taking propecia the sooner your hair will start to recover. And the less hair you'll lose in the meantime

G

Thanks much. Any other voices?

Prices paid for propecia (NOT generic) ? Pharmacy (with or without insurance?) and online? I am highly interested in knowing this. Thanks.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I buy Propecia online with a prescription from http://www.drugstore.com. If you have a script for a year or for three months you should be able to get the Pro-pack which is a three month supply for around $140 from them.
I also buy my minoxidil and nizoral from there and all ther other hair care products I used from there....Free shipping for non-prescription orders over $40 (i think) and no sales tax.I've been using finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral for just under a year and I've had good regrowth in front.

BHD

G

BadHairDecade said:
I buy Propecia online with a prescription from http://www.drugstore.com. If you have a script for a year or for three months you should be able to get the Pro-pack which is a three month supply for around $140 from them.
I also buy my minoxidil and nizoral from there and all ther other hair care products I used from there....Free shipping for non-prescription orders over $40 (i think) and no sales tax.I've been using finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral for just under a year and I've had good regrowth in front.

BHD
From here I see it cheaper at 2 other sites (but one says it's in Canada). Is that a better deal?

http://www.pricescan.com/health/items/item900016.asp

rescue hair

Reaction score
Start finasteride NOW. You can wait as long as you like to use minoxidil. It helps to think of it this way: finasteride is more preventative, minoxidil is more for of a growth stimulant, so if you're happy with your hair now, finasteride and Nizoral should be fine for now. After a year or so you can decide if you want to go for minoxidil.

G

Re: About to start propecia for first time. have Qs, also pr

guest2 said:

bad posts will always outweigh good posts by a large margin, it is a distortion, few people ever go to their doctors to tell them how good they feel.

guest2 said:

I buy Merck branded Proscar (5mg finasteride pill that you nedd to chop into 5 parts) it works out at around £40 (UK) $74 (USD) for 4-5 months supply.

guest2 said:

don't know ??

guest2 said:

start the propecia NOW, use the Nizoral (leave it on your scalp for 5-10 minutes) and give this regimen a year to work, then consider adding minoxidil.

good luck

Ty

G

Thanks for the great info everyone!

Anyone else have info on in-physical store pharmacy prices on regular propecia in the US? And if insurance helps pay? Thanks!

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems like your worrieng a little too much about price, and not enough about hair loss. Get some finasteride s.t.a.t. and then worry about saving a few dollars.

CNStrikesBack

Reaction score
I paid too much!

Man, i thought i performed a pretty good price search for Propecia, but it looks like i paid way too much! I paid a little over $200 for a 3 month supply! Sure enough, Drugstore.com has it for just under $150, and also offers even better deals for larger orders. Funny, i ordered my Nizoral from drugstore.com, but also found it at Walmart.

*sigh*

Well, atleast i learned. This will all go better next time i order.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
guest2 said:
Thanks for the great info everyone!

Anyone else have info on in-physical store pharmacy prices on regular propecia in the US? And if insurance helps pay? Thanks!

prices will vary from pharmacy to pharmacy but are usually more expensive than buying online. Insurance will not cover Propecia...You know, because hairloss is only a cosmetic problem that doesn't affect you in any other way :-x