Accutane

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had moderate acne for the past 5 years, i get like 5 zits a month but they all seem to come at one time. I'm already depressed about my hair loss and when I break out it just throws more fuel in the fire and I feel like killing myself. I want to get rid of acne for good, does anyone know where i can get accutane online? Accutane is about $600 a month without insurance so thats not really really an option.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Nuli said:
I have had moderate acne for the past 5 years, i get like 5 zits a month but they all seem to come at one time. I'm already depressed about my hair loss and when I break out it just throws more fuel in the fire and I feel like killing myself. I want to get rid of acne for good, does anyone know where i can get accutane online? Accutane is about $600 a month without insurance so thats not really really an option.

wrong place man lol

HughJass

Reaction score
wow...$600 a month. That sucks.

I took when I was 16/17.....was really sick of acne. It definetly cured it but if I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, it wouldn't be my first option-

New research has found that a drug used to treat severe forms of acne reduces the availability of the chemical serotonin, low levels of which have been linked to aggression and clinical depression.

In a study published in the journal Experimental Biology and Medicine, scientists reveal a potential mechanism that might link the drug Roaccutane (Accutane in the US) to reported cases of depression in some patients taking the medication.

The researchers had previously reported that the drug caused depressive behaviour in mice but, until now, the mechanism by which this might happen was unknown.

Using cells cultured in a laboratory, scientists from the University of Bath (UK) and University of Texas at Austin (USA) were able to monitor the effect of the drug on the chemistry of the cells that produce serotonin.

They found that the cells significantly increased production of proteins and cell metabolites that are known to reduce the availability of serotonin.

This, says scientists, could disrupt the process by which serotonin relays signals between neurons in the brain and may be the cause of depression-related behaviour.

“Serotonin is an important chemical that relays signals from nerve cells to other cells in the body,â€￾ said Dr Sarah Bailey from the Department of Pharmacy & Pharmacology at the University of Bath.

“In the brain it is thought to play an important role in the regulation of a range of behaviours, such as aggression, anger and sleep. Low levels of serotonin have been linked to depression, as well as bipolar and anxiety disorders.

“Many medications aimed at treating depression seek to increase levels of serotonin to help overcome these problems," continued Dr Bailey. “Our findings suggest that Roaccutane might disrupt the way serotonin is produced and made available to the cells.

“This could result in problems associated with low levels of serotonin, which might include depression. We are currently looking into this mechanism in more detail.â€￾

a lot of people say that they're acne goes away when they adopt a diet that is free from some of the abominations we consume plenty of in the west, particuarly pasteurized milk.

I wouldn't dismiss the option of changing some things in your diet first and see what effect that had. Shitloads of sugar, wheat and pasteurized dairy has pretty catostrophic affects on our health so it wouldn't surprise me if it either caused or worsened acne. Definetly something to look into, though I understand how much it sucks and you just want to take some pills that are going to make it go away. Not saying you shouldn't, just might be worth trying other things first.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I went the accutane rout myself too, and hated it, yeah it cured the acne, but i was super depressed, almost suicidal.... i wouldnt do that again now tho.....try to look for alternatives.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been off dairy for about a year now, no milk ever and very little cheese. Maybe a little improvement but still getting break outs. Also when i break out its always in the same spot, my chin. I've read that acne in the chin area is related to hormonal acne. As i get older it also seems that these zits take longer to heal and are more prone to scarring. Acne scars are worse than hair loss imo :(

I know accutane has a ton of side effects and believe me it scares me, but the risk seems worth it when your dealing with acne that can leave permanent scars on your face.

Some times i just ask God, "Why me?" :sobbing:

HughJass

Reaction score
all part of being young I'm afraid.

What is in the rest of your diet?

If I were you I would try this before going the accutane route - cut out as much sugar and wheat as you possibly can and start supplementing with a good quality probiotics.

notgivingup

Reaction score
I actually know quite the secret to get rid of acne and its FREE.

Change your pillow case EVERY night. Try this for 7-10 days. I can just about promise it will help. If it doesn't then continue on.

This worked wonders for me and many people I have told about it...

Nene

Reaction score
I also took accutane and it was no picnic. However, if he's tried other medications and the acne really has him down I say go for it. It's easy for us with clear skin to say, "Oh I did it but it was awful so don't do it." Imagine what it was like again to have awful acne.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i have never really had acne to the point where i felt inclined to treat it but i do find i get acne in the most annoying places (about 60% of my zits are around the thinning areas of my scalp)

hmm since acne is a result of the sebaceous gland maybe it could be cured if you caused hypertricosis then removed the hair using electrolysis hmm idk :dunno:

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nuli said:
I've been off dairy for about a year now, no milk ever and very little cheese.
It's a myth that diet causes acne
Source: http://www.acne.com/#/teen/fact-vs-fiction/

however the website does suggest many topical tretments though like with hairloss the topical treatments should be applied when there is acne and when there is no acne (to stop it coming back)
have you tried topical treatments at all

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thesnow said:
somone uk said:
Nuli said:
I've been off dairy for about a year now, no milk ever and very little cheese.
It's a myth that diet causes acne
Source: http://www.acne.com/#/teen/fact-vs-fiction/

however the website does suggest many topical tretments though like with hairloss the topical treatments should be applied when there is acne and when there is no acne (to stop it coming back)
have you tried topical treatments at all
fasting completely clears my acne 100%(no change in sebum production) and quickly at that.... im talking completely clear in less than a weeks time here. I have tested this numerous times

but here is where science fails... they test specific foods and clearly that is not the case.

i do not believe in any diet relieving ones acne except cutting the amount consumed... that is to say if one cuts their current consumption of any variety by half, they will notice markable decrease in acne.

I will end by stating that this, accutane and pillow previously mentioned is not a 'cure' in my book. They are what I would consider to be temporary measures which needs to be continuously tweaked.

[edit]
just thought i would add that my family always compliments me on how fast my hair grows/how much fuller it looks about a week or two after my fast(5day water fast). Just thought i would throw this out there.
i am sure there has been a study testing whether or not fasting works
also you haven't ruled out a placebo effect :smack:

HughJass

Reaction score
came across this recently Nuli

Treloar V, Logan Ac, Danby FW, Cordain L, Mann NJ. Comment on acne and glycemic index. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008 Jan; 58(1): 175-7

In this study, the dietary GI of patients with longterm
acne was significantly higher than that of the
healthy control subjects. These data force us to
disagree with the authors’ conclusion that ‘‘results
of this study do not reveal a relationship between
high glycemic index diets and acne.’’ On the contrary,
the correlation between high GI diet and acne
of greater than 2 years’ duration appears to be very
real and deserves further rigorous study.

Cordain L, Lindeberg S, Hurtado M, Hill K, Eaton SB, Brand-Miller J. Acne vulgaris: A disease of western civilization. Arch Dermatol 2002; 138:1584-90

Within the dermatology community, a general consensus has emerged that diet is unrelated to the etiology of acne. Except for 2 poorly designed studies, now more than 30 years old, there are few objective data to support this notion. In contrast, a large body of evidence now exists showing how diet may directly or indirectly influence the following 5 proximate causes of acne: (1) increased proliferation of basal keratinocytes within the pilosebaceous duct, (2) incomplete separation of ductal corneocytes from one another via impairment of apoptosis and subsequent obstruction of the pilosebaceous duct, (3) androgen-mediated increases in sebum production, (4) colonization of the comedo by Propionibacterium acnes, and (5) inflammation both within and adjacent to the comedo. This article will provide a review of the currently available literature on the association between diet and acne vulgaris as well as a discussion of the physiologic principles that may underlie this association.

BACKGROUND: In westernized societies, acne vulgaris is a nearly universal skin disease afflicting 79% to 95% of the adolescent population. In men and women older than 25 years, 40% to 54% have some degree of facial acne, and clinical facial acne persists into middle age in 12% of women and 3% of men. Epidemiological evidence suggests that acne incidence rates are considerably lower in nonwesternized societies. Herein we report the prevalence of acne in 2 nonwesternized populations: the Kitavan Islanders of Papua New Guinea and the Ache hunter-gatherers of Paraguay. Additionally, we analyze how elements in nonwesternized environments may influence the development of acne. OBSERVATIONS: Of 1200 Kitavan subjects examined (including 300 aged 15-25 years), no case of acne (grade 1 with multiple comedones or grades 2-4) was observed. Of 115 Ache subjects examined (including 15 aged 15-25 years) over 843 days, no case of active acne (grades 1-4) was observed. CONCLUSIONS: The astonishing difference in acne incidence rates between nonwesternized and fully modernized societies cannot be solely attributed to genetic differences among populations but likely results from differing environmental factors. Identification of these factors may be useful in the treatment of acne in Western populations

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/