Adam's story, 22 years old MBP sufferer

adamb

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have discovered this site quite a while ago and finally decided to add my own story. Pictures will follow, hopefully documenting any progress or success.

I first started noticing losing hair when around 20, first year of college, winter of 2010. I remember sitting at my desk and not even touching my head, yet strands of my hair were all over the place. It didn't really bother me that much, as I still had a full head of thick hair. After a month or so I decided to see a dermatologist, because the shedding got stronger. She told me it was due to stress and not to worry about it. I got some topical antiestrogens and used it for a month or so, as you can imagine it did nothing. At this point I knew it wasn't caused by stress, albeit it surely was a contributing factor.

Up until summer I didn't take any action and decided to see if hair loss progressed - well it did. I saw another dermatologist and she prescribed me 5% minoxidil, I also injected my scalp with vitamins and growth stimulants several times, sadly of no avail. I continued using just minoxidil (once a day) and Nizoral shampoo for about 3 months, but saw no results and discontinued treatment. That was a big mistake, my shedding accelerated to the point I was losing about 100 hair a day. It was really bad so I started minoxidil again and used it for another 4 months, still no visible results.

As of today I'm using 2% minoxidil (need to get a prescription for the stronger one in Poland) twice a day, Nizoral 3 times a week + vitamins, biotin etc. I don't know if it's only me, but minoxidil is giving me a horrible scalp itch. I can't help myself and scratch the hell out of my head, causing more hair loss, not to mention pain. Whan I was around 12 I had a severe problem with psoriasis, with scales forming even on my scalp. I had to get up every morning and wash my hair with a special tar blend shampoo, which was awful. I wonder if this has anything to do with MBP kicking in.

I've practically lost all of my self-confidence, all I think about is my hair. I rarely go out, fearing that the wind might winnow my meticulous comb-over (which looks more ridiculous every day). I avoid harsh lightning and direct sunlight like the plague. This whole situation is pretty depressing. My parents aren't what you can call supportive - my dad told me to accept it for I can't stop it. My mom is basically on his side, they don't seem to understant that experiencing hair loss is traumatizing to me. When I told them about finasteride they freaked out and told me not to take any steroids.

As for the genes, my dad is somewhere between NW1/2, my paternal grandfather is a full 7. My maternal grandfather was a NW3/4 in his 50s.

Right now I want to add Finasteride to my regime, as this might be the only option I have left. As scared of the side effects as I am, I still think it's worth giving a try. If finasteride doesn't work I'll just shave my head just not to think about my hair all the time...

Here are some pictures. My left temple isn't as bad as the right one, plus I've grown my remaining hair long enough to cover it. The right one though is much worse, my scalp is showing pretty much all the time. My crown area got much worse after I stopped using minoxidil, right now If I comb my hair forward my scalp is not that visible under normal light. The only good thing I'm rather tall (1.85m), so most people don't see my crown from above :p The first crown photo is with my hair combed back and to the sides and the second with my hair combed forward.

crown.jpgcrown2.jpgleft.jpgright.jpg

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Remember not to stop treatment man! You shouldn't have stopped minoxidil.

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Get on finasteride asap and continue minoxidil. I started losing my hair at 20 aggressively (lost like 30-40% of my hair density in a year) and after almost 3 years I'm still an NW2 although I'm still losing hair just a lot slower.