Addicted To Shaving

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
A week ago, I was having a serious time coping with my minoxidil-induced itchy scalp, and decided to shave my head with the grain (always better for the scalp's health), to improve this situation. Also, with all the hurricanes coming, I figured that a carefree haircut would be easier to endure the potential power-less days & nights that would follow after a destructive storm.

Anyway, I have now started to like the look and feel so much that I don't want to let it grow back out. I have also noticed my hair getting darker & thicker. I am now on my 3rd shave, and I notice my hairline more visible and healthy, whereas before it was kind of uneven and less solid. My question is, can it be bad shaving every or every other day, specially if it is causing visible improvements in my hair?

If anybody knows, I will apperciate the feedback. Thanks!

XL

Petchsky

Reaction score
Now i dont know for sure but, shaving does not harm the hair on your face which most people do everyday or under women's armpits so i don't see why it would on the head, be kind of illogical if it did.

How long have you been on your regimen and how is is going aside from the minoxidil irritation?

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Now i dont know for sure but, shaving does not harm the hair on your face which most people do everyday or under women's armpits so i don't see why it would on the head, be kind of illogical if it did.

How long have you been on your regimen and how is is going aside from the minoxidil irritation?

Petchsky, The minoxidil's effect on my scalp continues to be effective, whether the hair is shaved, or grown out. I have never experienced any irritation by minoxidil, but other symptoms such as itching and flaking have been controlled thanks to Nizoral shampoo.

As for the differences of using treatments on a bald scalp vs a grown out one, the best benefit is that about 75% minoxidil is saved on every single application, since there isn't any hair in the way of the minoxidil to absorb part of it. Instead, 100% of the minoxidil application is already touching the scalp. If you have any other questions, let me know... Have you ever shaved your head?

XL

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
X i see your havent posted in a while...is your hairloss under control?

Petchsky

Reaction score
There is no doubt minoxidil is better applied when hair is shaved with increased absorption and overall ease of applying, not to mention drying quicker.
Do you take proscar or any other product that blocks DHT? Reason i ask is due to the inflammation DHT causes when miniturising the hair follicle. Could be reason for your sudden bout of itching. Although minoxidil is normally the culprit.

I have shaved my head before yes. Never with a razor though. Not shorter than a grade 2 guard. I'm curious as to what your regimen is? minoxidil and Nizoral?

Be Real. Petchsky

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
blue said:
X i see your havent posted in a while...is your hairloss under control?

Blue, it is under control in the sense that receding is very minimal if any at all, and the vertex is bulletproof. It seems to be that naturally, minoxidil is more agressively effective on the crown than on the hairline area, but works well in that area regardless. As for the DHT concern, I am continuing with my phases of SP dosages every other month, and it seems to do well as it avoids body tolerances.

I use Nizoral shampoo for itching and scalp discomfort, and progain shampoo on Nizoral off days to help with body and volume.

petchsky said:
I'm curious as to what your regimen is? minoxidil and Nizoral?

My regimen includes a healthy balance of Nizoral every other day, minoxidil 5% once every day (.5ml for shaved head, and 1ml for grown out hair head) usually in the mornings, and 320mg of SP every day (once in the morning, once at night). I keep my regimen simple, but efficient. I have kept my hairloss to a minimum in the past 3 years using this triple combo.

Take care!
X