Adrift98's story

adrift98

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
As cassin pointed out to me in another thread, it looks like I jumped into the deep end of the pool before getting my feet wet on the forum. So I figured I'd back up and introduce myself.

Let's see, not much to say. My story seems to be similar to a lot of other folks here. I started noticing my hair loss around 23 when I joined the military and had all my hair buzzed off for the first time. :) It wasn't that bad, just high temples at the time. After the military I started using Nizoral, Rogaine, and finasteride I found online someplace. I didn't really hang out on hair loss forums that much, but I read as much as I could when I did lurk on em. I was sort of familiar with this form, but lurked mostly at Hair Loss Help.

I eventually stopped taking everything because I just didn't like the idea of using a bunch of chemicals. My hair at the time was in a high deathhawk (basically a tall teased up mohawk) which made my receding hairline (especially at the temples) not such a big deal.

I'm going on 36 now, and am probably at a Norwood 3. I recently rebuzzed my head to a number 1 burr style which doesn't look too bad with a Norwood 3 :). I started taking Perfect Image's 15% Minoxidil, and after reading some stuff about it here, I have no idea if I'm wasting my money or if it was a wise purchase. I just started my second bottle, so I'll be using it for the foreseeable future. I still don't want to take any pills for my primary antiandrogen, so I have on order some spironolactone, and also have Nizoral in the mail. I was interested in some of the more experimental topicals, but I'm not sure I like the idea of creating my own delivery system, and all that jazz. It seems to be a fairly sensitive topic around here anyways, so I don't know, maybe that's not the way to go.

Anyways, nice to meet you all. Hope I didn't bore anyone, and hope to learn more from the folks around here.

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome Adrift!
I'm very interested in your progress using 15% minoxidil. I'm also somewhat NW3 and was thinking to try Perfect Image 15% minoxidil, to see if it can improve those temples a bit. (but I'm currently unemployed so it's quite expensive for me to use it every month, so it would be really nice to hear from someone who's using it for a few months). Would be great if you could take some progress tracking pics from month to month..

Good luck with your treatments and keep us updated :)

adrift98

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I have no idea if 15% minoxidil will offer any great benefits over, say, 5 or 10%, but I figured if I was going to jump back into this game, I'd go full throttle. I may eventually throttle back to 10% because as you pointed out, HairlossFighter, this can get expensive. My spironolactone came today so I'll be adding that to my treatment starting tonight. I'll take pictures and post them here to keep a record of my progress. I took some pictures of my situation 2 months ago before I started anything, but I may have lost them. Captain Combover, you're right, the progressive baldness has been slow, and that's why I really haven't done a whole lot about it for the most part, but its beyond obvious at this point, so no use ignoring it anymore. And you're right, sounds like getting temple regrowth is going to be a challenge, especially without finasteride in the mix, but hopefully everything will work out. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Meh, I had time to take a few snapshots and post them. They're not that great... stupid cell phone camera, bad lighting, and its was buzzed with a number 1 guard last Friday, but I think it should give people the general idea for now. Like I said, I think this is a Norwood 3, but maybe its worse... heck, I'm still new to all of this. The front as you can see is pretty bad. The crown is thin, but not as bad, in fact, it seems to me that in the time I've been using minoxidil its been filling it, but maybe that's all in my head (pun not intended).

Gc0E3.jpg

fbFWq.jpg

ClHRx.jpg

iwlDk.jpg

PITui.jpg

6GJBb.jpg

Oh, and as you can see, I decided to get a little artistic with a couple of the pictures. :D