Advice Needed On Fixing Crown Hair Loss

Magicman1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

Today is the day where I have decided to take action, I am a 27 year old male, and my crown has taken a hit since 2015, as you can see my crown has lost all density, but i have tiny baby hairs across the crown.

I have been researching the forums and I am ready to start, it appears I need to start the "big 3" of Finasteride, minoxidil and Nizoral with a daily Biotin Supplement.

Photo taken today with the most harsh lighting i could find:
IMG_2121.jpg

Before i start i wanted to seek advice, I have never taken a hair loss drug before and i was wondering if taking a big bang approach is my best option and what type of results I can expect,

Most of the crown loss has happened in the last 2 years. I wanted to seek advice before starting.

Thanks

Month 1 (Lot of Shedding)
75325-f117da41435d678719c207c92be9c535.jpg

Month 2 (Some Regrowth, shedding stopped)
75326-9c6cab79a90df5c2f0c97ccb8842a1f4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:

Hairs45

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
with minoxidil and finasteride you'll be able to turn the baby hairs back into terminal hairs

Magicman1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
with minoxidil and finasteride you'll be able to turn the baby hairs back into terminal hairs

Thankyou for the feedback, hopefully it will be possible to recover some density. Does anybody else have any opinions to if I should just start with finasteride/nizoral first see how I go then introduce minoxidil?.

Reading online it seems finasteride is more for maintenance and minoxidil for growth, however i have seen people with crown loss worse than mine recover fine with finasteride only.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thankyou for the feedback, hopefully it will be possible to recover some density. Does anybody else have any opinions to if I should just start with finasteride/nizoral first see how I go then introduce minoxidil?.

Reading online it seems finasteride is more for maintenance and minoxidil for growth, however i have seen people with crown loss worse than mine recover fine with finasteride only.

You don't know what will happen with either, but unfortunately these two sh*t drugs are your only choice. try them out for a year. Maybe it will help.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Monk bald like me! If your a good responder to meds you may regain some lost ground however 5 years down the line you it will slowly start to lose it again. There might be some exciting new treatments coming along in the next 5 years so finasteride & minoxidil is your best option for maintenance now.

I have never been able to fully recover my crown area and believe me I have tried everything bar a transplant in that area. You can slow the progression down and maybe regrow 10%-20% on finasteride & minoxidil but at the moment the only cure is a transplant, 3000 grafts would do the trick.

Magicman1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
From my research I thought that crown balding was the easiest to fix with drugs especially if we still have thin baby hairs covering the affected area.

Anyways it seems from the comments that the big 3 is my only hope to stop my monk-like balding, in hopes that it will help.

Is there anything I can do on top of the big 3, will biotin and hair oils help?,

My crown is bad but the extreame lightning makes it look worse, I promise :)

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends upon how you respond to meds. Some people have great results and after 12 months regrow most of their hair others like me don't have a great response. There really is no way of knowing until you try but the worst thing you can do is to do it for 3 months then stop, it takes a long time to see progress and you will have sheds which can be alarming. So just keep with it.

Like I said earlier there are other treatments in the pipeline so just get on the big 3 for now and take good hair vitamin.

Magicman1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends upon how you respond to meds. Some people have great results and after 12 months regrow most of their hair others like me don't have a great response. There really is no way of knowing until you try but the worst thing you can do is to do it for 3 months then stop, it takes a long time to see progress and you will have sheds which can be alarming. So just keep with it.

Like I said earlier there are other treatments in the pipeline so just get on the big 3 for now and take good hair vitamin.

Thanks for the feedback, I agree we can never know for sure what the reaction to the medication will be.

All I know is I need to take immediate action to try and save the situation, I want to be as informed as possible before I start.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is a wide diffuse crown 1 k grafts is only enough for 2 x 50pence coverage unless you only want the appearance of hair without density. You can look on the transplant section on this forum there are plenty of examples there.

Magicman1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
start with fina 1 mg and minoxidil twice a day and come back in 3 month to update

Thanks for the feedback, I will purchase the products and show progress pics after 3 months.

I’m from the UK and the generic minoxidil and propecia is significantly cheaper, is there any difference between Kirkland minoxidil or regain foam?,

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I will purchase the products and show progress pics after 3 months.

I’m from the UK and the generic minoxidil and propecia is significantly cheaper, is there any difference between Kirkland minoxidil or regain foam?,
Not in effect, although I find the Kirkland slightly greasier. The regain dry's the scalp more but if you have a greasy scalp any way its not a bad thing.

Warlord2.0

My Regimen
Reaction score

In my opinion,give the minoxidil a try (for at least 4 months).If you are not somehow satisfied with the results,add finasteride.Do not use all the drugs at the same time,so you can know by that way what is working for you and what is not...
Use the liquid version ,at least you don't have to cover all your head,so your hair will not look oily.I wish you the best

Magicman1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion,give the minoxidil a try (for at least 4 months).If you are not somehow satisfied with the results,add finasteride.Do not use all the drugs at the same time,so you can know by that way what is working for you and what is not...
Use the liquid version ,at least you don't have to cover all your head,so your hair will not look oily.I wish you the best

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, from what I read minoxidil on its own can work for some growth, but the effects will go away in 2 or more years without the presence of a DHT blocker.

From reading the forums, my understanding was in general minoxidil is for growth and propecia is more for maintaining.

Warlord2.0

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, from what I read minoxidil on its own can work for some growth, but the effects will go away in 2 or more years without the presence of a DHT blocker.

From reading the forums, my understanding was in general minoxidil is for growth and propecia is more for maintaining.
Yes this is what people in forums say,but keep in mind this:
-Don't underestimate the power of minoxidil because the results are VERY individual.

Magicman1990

My Regimen
Reaction score
The world of hair loss is baffling, there is no clear answer to anything it’s all just hit and hope.

Now I’m looking into liquid minoxidil vs foam, application of once a day vs twice.

I personally like the idea of eating a pill and applying liquid minoxidil at night, waking up in the morning wash my hair with nizoral and apply some concealer before going to work, but this sounds sub-optimal.

Warlord2.0

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMG_0270.JPG
The world of hair loss is baffling, there is no clear answer to anything it’s all just hit and hope.

Now I’m looking into liquid minoxidil vs foam, application of once a day vs twice.

I personally like the idea of eating a pill and applying liquid minoxidil at night, waking up in the morning wash my hair with nizoral and apply some concealer before

I personally like the idea of eating a pill and applying liquid minoxidil at night, waking up in the morning wash my hair with nizoral and apply some concealer before going to work, but this sounds sub-optimal.

So get motivated!

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 968
  • IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 970

Warlord2.0

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow that is incredible!, Was that with minoxidil only?, once or twice daily?,
Minoxidil only,twice everyday (4 months)...but I use more than the recommended dose because I have to cover all my head...thanks god my scalp is not affected by the amount that I use