Advice on PDAs

The Gardener

Reaction score
Okay folks, I've reached a point where I give up. Work has really picked up pace, my bandwidth is maxing out, and between that and me just plain getting older and developing an increasing inability to have any patience in dealing with the minutiae of planning, I need help.

Time for Gardener to enter the 21st century and embrace technology. I badly need some sort of PDA handheld system to help me keep everything straight and orderly, and I thought I'd ask the crew here if they have any advice.

Let me first tell you what I'm dealing with now, what kind of functionality I am looking for, and what is and isn't working for me:

Right now, at the office, I have a Lotus Notes system for email and calendar, and it works brilliantly. I have a Blackberry (an old one), and its great for getting my email on the run... but the calendarization interface it has with Lotus is horrid. Scrolling between "big views" of, say, a month, and then doing drill downs into particular days is awkward and a b*tch. So much so that I've given up using the task "to do" list on Lotus and resorted to using post its arranged on my desk to keep track of phone calls to return, and keep track of to do items and issues. I like the post it system on the desk, because it allows me to arrange tasks and thoughts graphically in space, grouping them, ordering them, etc. The only problem is that this system does not translate well into the Blackberry PDA I have because of the shiite Lotus functionality on it. I suppose its not the Blackberry per se that is at fault, but rather a poor cross-interface between it and the Lotus software on my laptop. Add to this the fact that none of my personal stuff is on it, and I wish I could use the Blackberry for my personal stuff, but I don't want to invest all the time to convert it into the work blackberry because of the poor Lotus interface.

So, I suppose I'm not really looking for a certain "brand" PDA that has powerful speed or technology per se, but rather, I'm really looking for a good scheduling and task ordering interface that's not going to give my hand cramps turning dials and having to push five buttons to do a calendar drill down, then push another button to confirm that I want to do a calendar drill down, then having to hold "alt" and spin the dial to select an item, then push another button, then confirm that, etc etc. I want a nice graphically-friendly, object oriented interface (if possible) that allows me to do dragging and dropping, like I can do on my Lotus at work.

Do any of you have PDAs? If so, do you have any feedback about how easy the interface is? Is it easy to scroll between task lists and calendar appointments, easy to move things around, etc? I'd like a PDA that I can, literally, put my entire life on and have it sync up with my home computer.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

powersam

Reaction score
awhile back i had a palm pilot, and there was software that allowed me to synchronize it with my outlook calender and planner very easily so that might be a good option for you. I ended up getting rid of it simply because I realized being contactable by email 24/7 was not helping anything get done faster, but definitely impacting on my free time. now people understand I am only contactable by email/phone in office hours, and work around that.

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
Iphooooone. Palm Pilots are very 1999. A pda should be built into your phone. The iPhone is still probably the best one around.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, all.

As for the Iphone, it looks nice and all, but I have some questions. First off, I've heard anecdotally that the browser speed is excruciatingly slow.

But most of all, does the Iphone have an organizational/task management/personal planner functionality? I'm not looking for a trendy phone with bells and whistles, I am specifically looking for a handheld that has a really good calendar/appointment/planner function. One that is very easy to navigate and use without lots of excessive fumbling... and one that can be synched with my desktop.

That being said, I don't think I want a PDA on my phone because phones don't have a full keyboard, or some way of entering notes and calendar entries without resorting to "text-ese" (i.e. brb, srly, etc). I need a handheld that allows me to enter text in complete English sentences without needing to hit the "2" key three times in order to type in a letter "c". Some of the PDAs have handwriting tablet features that convert your written text into screen text. This sounds optimal.... anyone have any experience with PDAs that do this well?

oni

Reaction score
Try looking at the following.......................

Nokia E71
Palm Treo Pro
HTC Touch Pro
Samsung Omnia i900
BlackBerry Bold 9000

As for the Iphone, it looks nice and all, but I have some questions. First off, I've heard anecdotally that the browser speed is excruciatingly slow.

You would need the new 3G version to get around that.....................................

GeminiX

Reaction score
Still using a 6 year old iPaq, it runs all my email, handles the interwebs, runs pretty much all the pocket pc stuff etc. and best of all it's *not* my phone so I'm not bound to taking my work with me when I want to get away from it.

Cheap as chips now and even handles sat nav if it's not in your car already.

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Thanks for the feedback, all.

Maybe the original Iphone. The iPhone 3g is the best data phone for web browsing that exists; it makes Blackberries look like Casio watches in comparison

The Gardener said:
But most of all, does the Iphone have an organizational/task management/personal planner functionality? I'm not looking for a trendy phone with bells and whistles, I am specifically looking for a handheld that has a really good calendar/appointment/planner function. One that is very easy to navigate and use without lots of excessive fumbling... and one that can be synched with my desktop.
Yes, it has these things.

The Gardener said:
That being said, I don't think I want a PDA on my phone because phones don't have a full keyboard
The iPhone uses a full keyboard onscreen, and automatically corrects when you spell something wrong. That's why if you've ever had a texting conversation with someone who has an iPhone, their sentences are always much more elaborate and get to you much quicker than you're able to text them.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Thanks, all! I appreciate the feedback. If you have any other anecdotal info to share, I'd like to hear it!

oni

Reaction score
And get something else that can record video....................when your banging Latin girls in your G35................................

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
If you buy an iphone get a protective film that covers the touch area.

^This is a must have.

I have this on mine, but it's actually not a must. The glass touch screen on the new iphone is extremely durable and scratch resistant, much stronger than the plastic screens that the classic iPods use, and it's also more difficult to keep clean looking when you have the protective filter over it. Yes, I use it, but it's probably only a matter of time before I get rid of it.

Cassin

Reaction score
I dunno...gal that sits next to me had her screen scratched the first week from her car keys in her purse. Bought a $3 cover off amazon and its clean ever since.

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
You can get an older version of the palm treo for pretty cheap these days and they are great phones. Touch screen, text messaging in instant messaging format (displays names instead of numbers) the web browsers are pretty quick, lots of cool features. I just downloaded an old school NES emulator on mine. I bought mine used (treo 650) off some lady from craigslist for like 40 dollars... works great.

ali777

Reaction score
I might get the iPhone as an Xmas present to myself.

I think most of the criticism directed towards the iPhone is/was deserved criticism, but the second generation should be good enough.

The first generation iPhone was the most overrated and overpriced phone ever. Apart from an extremely sexy interface, it didn't really offer much technology. Now on top of the sexy interface, they have 3G and GPS which I like...

I think the iPhone should make a good PDA if it supports the required features...

Windows based HTC devices are much cheaper, they are like the iPaq GenimiX is talking about but with phone chipsets as well. Some of them have pull out keyboards, which is a nice feature to have.