Advice on what kind of hair loss I might be experiencing

Rispet

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a 19 year old male from a family with a reasonable number of individuals in it with male pattern baldness, my father included. Whilst I think it is pretty certain that I will develop it (though some males in my family have not or did not until they were very old (though my father developed the early stages of it at an age younger than myself)) and I am not overjoyed at this prospect, I am posting today because of hair loss that I am wondering if is from another source.

As of a few days before August 15th (I can't recall exactly what date, but it was around that time frame), I took notice of an increasing volume of hair on the floor of my shower when I was done. I ran my hand through my hair and found it covered with an abnormally large amount of hair. Over the past couple of weeks since then, this has persisted. I haven't noticed any area getting thin looking, but by estimate I am losing more than 100 per day so I would imagine that it will get noticeable as time goes on if it persists. Whilst that is irritating to me, my concern is over whether this might be tied to a more severe health issue or not. I, accordingly, have booked an appointment to see my General Practitioner.

From my cursory readings online, I have reason to suspect that I might have a case of Telogen Effluvium. My reasoning for thinking this is due to the sudden onset of shedding, the fact that nearly all of these hairs have the characteristic white bulb of a hair shed in the telogen phase at the end, and the fact that I had a very harsh viral infection about 2 months ago that caused me to lose around 10 pounds in under a week and had me running a high fever for much of that time, barely able to eat or exert any energy (so, suffice it to say, very stressful for my body).

My reason for posting here is that, since I couldn't get in to see my GP until the 8th of September, I am looking for some sort of a second opinion on whether or not what I am describing fits with Telogen Effluvium or if it seems more likely that it is male pattern baldness starting to rear its head or some other form of hair loss caused by something more worrying.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am posting today because of hair loss that I am wondering if is from another source.. Whilst that is irritating to me, my concern is over whether this might be tied to a more severe health issue or not. I, accordingly, have booked an appointment to see my General Practitioner.

From my cursory readings online, I have reason to suspect that I might have a case of Telogen Effluvium.[/QUOTE]

strong denial. Even if you had scarce or no history of male pattern baldness in your family, I would still say it is overwhelmingly likely that it is male pattern baldness. 99% of hairloss in males is male pattern baldness. For your case specifically? Prime age for it to start happening, strong history, like 99.9% sure its male pattern baldness. Don't waste your time going to a GP unless its to get a script for finasteride.

Sounds like you are shedding in a similar pattern to a defuse thinner. Just start finasteride 1mg or 1.25mg daily, take it forever. You probably will not have to worry about hair loss again in your life