Aedan's Story - (21)

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been here for a while lurking so i thought it was time I posted.

I have just turned 21 and My hairloss started I think when i was about 18 years old, at first, like all of us, I was in absolute denial. I thought... I just have high hairline, You technically can't go bald at 18! boy was i wrong. During college I got one comment about a receding hairline, i shrugged it off and just told him atleast i wasnt ginger... lol. It would be nice to have a full ginger head he had tho!

Now I'm at uni however I don't live up there. 4 months ago i met the most beautiful girl. she is 18 and is my girlfriend, she is absolutely stunning, by anyones standards, and has the personality to match. Now i should be happy... and i really am, she helps me forget my problem.... I am really in love with her, but i get so depressed over the hairloss... I think to myself, what 18 year old girl with looks to kill wants to be with a guy who is loosing his hair? I know what you'l say, "oh well then she isnt worth it etc. etc." but that isnt quite so easy to take....

I see a lot of guys on here who are worried about not getting a girlfriend because of hairloss... for me as, awful as it sounds, i'm just waitin to get ditched and i really hate it, because she loves me and tells me this, and doesnt "seem" to mind my hairloss, we havnt talked about it, heck, i dont even know if she knows i'm loosing my hair. I'd say my hair is now at the point where Any other balding person knows i'm loosing it, everyone else may just think I've a high hairline and thin hair.

it's so sh*t that i keep thinking these negative thoughts, I wish i could just say f*** IT, not care and just be the best i can, which i do try, but everytime i have time to think, this sh*t is on my mind... everyday... I am contemplating shaving my head, but i've always had long hair....

My girlfriend said to me the other night i had krusty the clown hair.... great... and she wants to straighten it and everything, shes probably noticed hair isnt exactly a favourite topic of mine as i told her quickly no... its not good hair to be straightened, but she keeps pressing the point and its killin' me. all her guy friends all got their full thick heads... I would love to be her young good lookin' boyfriend, but its like hairloss is stopping me fill this roll.... it feels like my youth is really being taken away, and since being with my girlfriend the negative thoughts related to hairloss have just gotten worse.

the most embarrasing thing happened when we were sitting with her mum. She started telling her how she wanted to straighten my hair, and kept trying to play with my hair showing what she could do.... I kept trying to stop her... without looking too weird... and her mum says "oh whats wrong, are you receding early??" .... I was humiliated, all i could do was quickly try to change the topic.

The worst part is, these incidents are more than likely just gonna get worse and more frequent.

I have been using minoxidil for 8 months and just started spironolactone there... my hair has slowly gotten worse so i'm hoping after a while with spironolactone and minoxidil it may stop or slow it even more.

I really dont wanna take finasteride.... um lets just say i'd have some explainin to do if i was with my girl and suddenly somethin wasnt right... when she knows what im usually like, lol. but advice on this would be appreciated.

I don't usually go outside now without a hat... unless there is no wind.... however england is always windy when ya have hairloss it seems.

suxtobebald

Reaction score
Re: my story - 21 year old

Hey man
Welcom to HairLossTalk.com.
I think you should tell your GF that you are losing hair and shave your head. Girls dont care man I am sure she would understand. Get on finasteride as soon as you can atleast give it a shot. I am not sure if spironolactone is as effective as finasteride but if ur hair loss is aggressive i think u shoudl get on finasteride pronto.
Hope this helps,

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score

Man I am twenty, I am in quite a similar situation. I noticed I was losing it 6 months ago and I was devastated. Had been in denial for a long time. By that time I had my GF for a little over a year. Difference between us, I talked about it and I even got upset some times in front of her. Now I take my finasteride and things have been looking up, I'm still angry that I can't have a good looking haircut but I guess that isn't just one of my qualities. Honestly, you are more than hair and if she noticed that your hair is 'funny looking' etc than she probably didn't hook up with you because of your golden locks. Tell her, she knows, say you are going to do everything about it. I don't want to be bald early or show deep recessions so if it ever gets to that point, I'll get a great looking wig and rock every hairstyle I want to. Maybe you should do some research on that, also post some pictures and try the finasteride. I haven't noticed anything in 6 months, and as long as I dont notice anything I'll continue.

Thinning_Lad

Reaction score

I'm very similiar to you, i'm 21 and have hairloss, both sides receeded about an inch id say, although I have short hair and i've never personally thought about hair loss that much.

Although this summer I saw a photo of me this summer from behind and the top of my hair was lighter and it was only then i realised i was thinning on top as well! Ugggh.

So ive been on propecia for about 6 weeks now, just got on that straight away and im looking for a growth stimulant now to accompany it. No sides at all either.

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score

insecurity is a bigger turn off than hair loss. it's tough going bald, but you've already got a girl you seem to like so just try to realize that things aren't all that bad.

my advice is this: don't hide the fact that you're going bald from the girl, but don't go out of your way to mention it either. if it comes up acknowledge it, but act like you don't care. eventually you'll be unable to hide it anyway, so why agonize over the inevitable. maybe ask her whether she'd prefer a shaved head or a grown out horse shoe.

you should also try some treatments. by "treatments" I really mean finasteride and minoxidil, since those two drugs are the only things that work. don't waste your time with vitamins, diet, or any other pipe dreams. you may not want to try finasteride as it seems like quite a few people get sexual side effects, but many more take it without issues. it's your ultimate decision, and there is no right or wrong answer.

just remember though: women are repelled by insecurity.

hope this helps.

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply guys... well i've been solely on minoxidil and hair regrowth shampoo (revita/nizoral) for 8 months and at most its slowed down the process... so im going baldslowly, I added topical spironolactone to my regime about 3 weeks ago so ill see if that helps any.

Sergiotahina, I know insecurity is a massive turn off. Im confident by nature, itsl ike the only insecurity i have about my self is my hair....on a good day, i'll realise this, and think to myself, you know if i didnt care about my hair, life would actually be pretty perfect (not takin into account im a broke student haha)

On a bad day i'll sit in all day and not go out.... and this is hairloss winning the battle on that day! wasting my productive time, argggh, as much as ya try to keep it out of your mind... it'l never f*** off.. lol.

I'm thinkin about tellin my girlfriend, but i dont know how she'l take it... she isnt shallow, she'l most likely put up a while, then run off when she starts uni, but alas this is me being negative and doubting myself and her... I guess i'll not know how much she actually loves me till i tell her and she is fine with it.

I'll give spironolactone a good go anyway but considering finasteride

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aedhan how long is your hair at the moment? From the sounds of it, the "krusty the clown" remarks etc.. you could try a new more trim haircut that would suit your receding hairline better.

When I was early 20s with receding hairline I used to let my hair grow out all over the place and didn't really care about styling it, it made my hairloss look worse than it actually was.

A haircut that actually suits your temple recession and the shape of your head can make a huuuuuge difference to the appearance of your hairloss.

I think it's vitally important to keep the back and sides of your hair trimmed shorter than the top and the fringe, as this keeps things in proportion and lessens the appearance of temple recession. Try it!

Also stick with Minoxidil, but do give Finasteride a try. You'll know very soon if you get sides as your girlfriend will definitely notice and if you give it up the sides will disappear.