Age 22, NW2. Excellent family history of hair. Thoughts?

tox

Reaction score
IMAG0181.jpgIMAG0178.jpgIMAG0182.jpg

I'm clearly a NW2 by every definition of it. The temple loss is a dead give away (my stylist told me when I was ~late 20, 21.), and I can see my hairline receding with the "V" shape. I compared my hair to my older brother (24, NW1) and the hairline definitely goes back on the corners.

So, my family history is pretty good. My maternal grandpa (whose hair mine strongly resembles in texture and thickness, according to my mother) died young at 63 with a full head of hair (he kept it long so I'm not sure if NW1 or NW2, but I should check). His sons (my mom's brothers) are a NW1/2 with no discernible hair loss @ 50, and then a NW2-3 (hard to tell from picture) with a fairly high hairline @ 55. All of my maternal cousins (22-25) are Norwood 1s.

On my dad's side, my paternal grandpa had a full set of hair when he died at 75 (Norwood 1 I'd guess). My dad had a full set of hair until he was 50. At 59 now, his hair is thinning around the vertex, but his temples are strong. Not the horseshoe pattern so he's not on the Norwood scale. My hair is nothing like his, at all. His brother is 55 and a NW1. My paternal male cousins are younger than me. My older brother, whose hair is just like my father's, is a NW1 at 24 as I mentioned.

As for me: I grew up with really thick hair. By 18, my temples had begun receding. I didn't realize it at the time (as I said earlier, my stylist told me about a year and a half ago), but in pictures it's clear to see. I don't know about my hairline since I keep my hair medium length. I attached a picture of my temple at 17 when I cut my hair with a 3, and you can see even though the temple hair is there, it already isn't rounded. Vertex is perfectly fine (still extremely thick).

I'm perfectly happy with my hair right now. At a NW2, I can definitely hide my temples with medium-length hair, and you can hardly tell a thing about the hairline. I don't want to take finasteride (side effects are not worth it considering how slowly my MBP seems to move/ family history), and am holding out that by the time I need it (which hopefully is more than 3-5 years) I can just get a transplant and maybe take some new cutting edge drug that doesn't have finasteride's sides. But what are your thoughts? Do you see a lot of miniaturization or anything that suggests I should be seeing a hair loss doctor about my hair? I expect my temples to continue to recede (the lighter color at the edges suggests a lot of miniaturized hairs that will fall out, if I understand), but the hairline?

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Another, better image of my hair at 17. Can see the upper right corner is already beginning to recede.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.36.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.36.03 AM.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,735
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.35.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.35.58 AM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,801

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any reason to worry now. It's normal to have some recession you didn't have in high school. It doesn't mean it's going to get much worst.

tox

Reaction score
I don't think there is any reason to worry now. It's normal to have some recession you didn't have in high school. It doesn't mean it's going to get much worst.

Phew, that's the hope! I am concerned since this is the first time I noticed my hairline not being straight (I don't know if that's new or not). The temple hair I can live without. My concern was that somehow I picked up the worst genetics of both sides --- my dad's hair is clearly affected by DHT (even if it took 50+ years) and one of my uncles does have some recession. But considering there's literally none of my direct relatives (cousin, sibling, uncle, dad, grandparent) who is a NW3, let alone anything worse, I'm probably worrying too much. Maybe I'll get a Johnny Depp type hairline. I could live with that.

tox

Reaction score
Snapchat-7593783796191334995.jpg Snapchat-4996139933334539703.jpg Snapchat-7793760355352470846.jpg
It's been exactly 8 months since I posted my first set. I got nervous after seeing my hair sweaty so I thought I'd give myself an update. It's hard to tell since my hair doesn't seem to be cooperating, but it kind of looks like the "tip" of the V got thinner. However, best I can tell, the hairline hasn't deteriorated otherwise. At worst, these pictures will be useful to me in another 6-8 months or whatever.

If anyone has anything to note, I'm all ears.

(I'm not doing any treatment and will probably stay that way, as long as it's manageable.)

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems very similar to my case, except my family being rich in NW3s(though they were all NW2 or NW1 at my age). Do you also find it particularly frustrating that there seems to be no good way to keep track of things currently, in order to intervene at any clear sign of decline, and you may have to experience being a NW2.5 or NW3 before you know for sure?

Junjun

My Regimen
Reaction score
If u wanna be sure, go to dermatologist. As emergency u can take some supplements and use oils etc.

tox

Reaction score
Seems very similar to my case, except my family being rich in NW3s(though they were all NW2 or NW1 at my age). Do you also find it particularly frustrating that there seems to be no good way to keep track of things currently, in order to intervene at any clear sign of decline, and you may have to experience being a NW2.5 or NW3 before you know for sure?
Yeah, it is a little bit frustrating. But I guess I prefer that to seeing myself lose hair noticeably and knowing I'm screwed. If it really bugs you, I suppose you could actually measure how high the furthest receded point is from your eyebrow, or something like that.

Personally, I try not to worry about it. I can cover it up fine, and if it's progressing, it's not doing so quickly. We've only got to wait out... 10-15 years? before the hyped up treatments get commercialized... so I try not to think about it too much. If I can go months before remembering this site exists, all the better lol.

If u wanna be sure, go to dermatologist. As emergency u can take some supplements and use oils etc.
Not sure the supplements and oils actually do anything. I think if people on HairLossTalk.com can't really see any recession, and I myself don't see it either, it's probably fine lol. I'll hold for now, but thanks for the post.