Age 27 Propecia and Rogaine Foam

Mr. Henderson

Reaction score
This is my first post on any forum, ever...

Tomorrow I am starting on Propecia 1mg, and have been using Rogaine 5% foam 2x per day the past 2 days.

A few months ago I realized that the top of my head felt slightly burnt after having worked in the sun for about an hour. This had never happened to me before, so I started examining my hair, and realized, oh >>>t. I usually kept my hair slightly long, at the time it was longer than I usually keep it. I sort of chalked it up to my hair being long and pulling my part. So a couple more months go by and I am shopping at the mall where they have those wrap around mirrors in the dressing room...I made a dermatologist appointment the next day. Go to my derm appointment and he confirms what I feared, "Yea, your hair is thinning and you likely have male pattern baldness."...curse $%#@ curse... I had mentally prepared myself for this, but the confirmation kind of kicked me in the stomach...Here comes the really good part of the story. I go to pay for my appointment, after just hearing this news, and keel over the counter, passed out. I had never passed out, fainted in my life. I find out I'm balding and I drop like a rock. Anyway, Doctor wrote me a prescription for Propecia 1mg and suggested trying Rogaine as well. The next day I decided to chop my long hair and see if maybe, just maybe the long hair was in fact parting my hair in a weird fashion or something. Well, short hair = I am still losing my hair.

A week has passed since my derm appointment, and Ill be starting on the Propecia tomorrow. I was sort of on the fence about it...price, sides, price. But have decided it's do something and maybe not go bald, or do nothing and definitely go bald, If I get any unbearable sides, ill stop, but am likely to push through any mild ones. So here we go. I will try to post updates regarding results, sides etc., as I know these stories, good and bad, are helpful to viewers of this forum for various reasons. Below I have listed anything I thought might be relevant to others on this site, including history of my hair, genetics, products I used, and other medications I take.

Hair History

Genetics:
Paternal: My father, his brother, his father = all bald. Dad told me he started in his early 30s, but I think it was more like late 20s looking at some of his old photos. His brother held on to his hair through his late 30s. Grandpa, I dunno, he was just always bald.
Maternal: Never met my grandfather, but photos show a full head of hair (confirmed by mom)

Everybody in my immediate family has very fine hair. My sister always complains about hers and my mom gets extensions to fill it in. I actually used to have a pretty thick head of wavy hair. Still have the wave, but definitely has flattened out as it has grown finer.

Products Used:
Styling
Crew Forming Cream: Use every day for at least the past 4 years, and will continue to do so. Prior to that, I always had something in my hair. My hair tended to be dry and frizzy, so I had to have something in it to keep it tame.

Shampoo/Conditioner
Dove: Just general dove brand shampoo and conditioner. Up until maybe a year and a half ago a was shampooing and conditioning every day. I then started shampooing only 2x per week, but conditioner every day. I did this because of my dry hair, and I liked the way my hair felt with a build up of some oil. Had been doing this up until about a week ago.
Nioxin 1: Was told to use this by mom. Supposedly makes hair look thicker and is good for scalp. I now am shampooing every day with this (thinking maybe my oily, dirty scalp accelerated my hair loss in the first place. And also having done some research on this forum regarding the importance of a healthy scalp.)
Will likely add nizoral once per week.

Stress Level
This is where I have some hope that my rapid thinning is stress related. In the past 4 months I broke up with a long term girlfriend and was literally in tears almost every night for a good month (not sure if that is considered stress or just being a big >>>>Y). At the same time found out my father has cancer (which luckily we caught early and have actually beaten...knock on wood). I began graduate school about a year ago as well, which at times can be very stressful.

Other
Medications: I currently take 100mg/day of minocycline for acne (works great by the way)...side note...been free of acne for a while and felt such a relief getting rid of that adolescent nonsense, and now I jump into this...WTF???
Booze: Ya, I drink. Don't go on a bender nearly as much as I used to, but have at least a beer 5 days per week.

Goals for Treatment/Regimen:
Goals: Thicken up the overall top of my head by 25%, fill in vertex area. I would be happy maintaining my hairline.

Regimen: Propecia 1mg daily taken in the am. Rogaine foam in morning after shower, and night before bed. Nioxin shampoo and conditioner daily to hopefully give thicker "looking" hair.

Hair Status 9/20/2012
General: I have a decent head of hair. Casual observer would not think I am balding, except maybe if they look at my crown. My hair seems to be thin in general on top, so the spiral crown looks particularly poor (at least to me). My part definitely seems wider than I can ever remember.
Crown: Thinnest area of my head. This is my main area of concern and where I hope to see some filling. I have a spiral crown that has always sort of parted my hair, but it is definitely more noticeable of late. I am suddenly self conscious about it, especially after cutting my hair short last week.
Hairline: Right now I am not totally concerned with my hairline. I am sure it has receded slightly, but to be honest its difficult for me to tell.
Shed: Shampooing I can see about 5 hairs on either hand. Same conditioning. Plus whatever I see in the tub. If I rustle my dry hair a couple will fall in the sink every time. Nothing too crazy. I feel 150 hairs per day is probably ballpark.
Stress level past 30 days: Nothing too crazy. Feel a lot better about my break up (met another chick), and school is not too strenuous currently. However, finding out I'm losing my hair has me freaking out a bit.

I think I covered everything. Ill try to be consistent about posting, but quite honestly probably will slack...School is priority. Any suggestions, questions, etc. just shoot.

Mr. Henderson

Reaction score
Quick update...I know its only been 6 days, but I just thought I would mention that I have yet to notice any sides from the either the Propecia or Rogaine. No noticeable increase in shedding either. Only negative so far is that I am not sure if I am really getting to the scalp with the Rogaine foam. Feels more like it just sits on my hair more than anything. Thinking about trying the liquid for night applications.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
yer the foam is a bit like that and the liquid makes the hair feel pretty bad

don't be surprised if your experience with hair loss drugs is extremely uneventful eg no sides, no regrowth and no further hair loss
but definitely don't drop them if that happens because maintenance = success
goodluck man with propecia

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum man, congratulations for plucking up the courage to start on all these scary treatments.

i noticed sides after about two, maybe three weeks i think of starting finasteride. the occasional ball ache (that hurt... a lot), and brain fog in the mornings, along with occasional nausea at night. only lasted a week or two, and then since then i've had no sides whatsoever (been taking it for over a year and a half now, nearly 2 years) other than the occasional ball ache - maybe once every few months.
good luck with it, keep us posted. remember, take pictures in harsh light once every month or two - let them, not the shedding, do the talking.

take care,
f

Mr. Henderson

Reaction score
Hey hey

It has been about 2.5 weeks since starting finasteride and rogaine, still no sides. Sorry I have not posted any pics. Part of it is not wanting to face the photographic evidence, other is that I just am lazy.

I went to my physician a couple of days ago and have decided to schedule a blood test since both my sister and mother have hyperactive thyroid. He also will be running other blood tests that relate to hair loss. He also recommended taking a biotin supplement to encourage healthy hair. He mentioned it will not do anything to grow new hair, but may increase the diameter of the hairs I still have. I will likely pick some up this week. I remain hopefully optimistic.

I have also been considering doing a close buzz of my head, maybe a 1 or 2. I still have a good head of hair, and my only real concern is my vertex, although I seem to have diffuse thinning throughout the top of my head. I want to shave my head for a couple of reasons, but have been weighing the pros and cons.

Pros
First, I want it shorter so that any new hairs that might one day start to grow back will reach the same length as the rest of my hair more quickly. Second, I would like to buzz it short while I still have hair all over my head so that should I continue to lose hair the transition is less obvious. Third, I think it will help with Rogaine application. Last, I just want to stop worrying about my hair, and I think a close buzz might take my mind off of it, and I kind of am just curious if I can pull it off.

Cons
I'm tall, skinny, and white, so the buzz head look may not quite suit me.
I am not sure if having it super short will make my hair loss more or less obvious. Having looked at a number of pics on this site, i think that to hide hair loss, you either have to keep it really short, like a 1 buzz or less, or fairly long.

Anyway...I know some of this is just advice seeking, but Ill do what I can to update on my progress in the hope of helping the rest of you all.

Good luck everyone.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesser, it says that he has diffuse thinning. So Norwood scale doesn't work for him. He probably has a NW1/2 hairline (like me) with thinning hair on top.

Mr. Henderson, I would suggest you snap a few pictures now and post them. Then come back later in the 6th month mark and we can see how you improved. The issue is that you live with your hair everyday, some days you will be sad and get negative about your hair, thinking its worse. Having some pictures will tell you if you are wrong or write.

Also you can just scribble off your face with MS paint.

Mr. Henderson

Reaction score
Hey hey

Been a while but I wanted to post my progress. Been on the big 3 now for about 4 months. Toward the beginning of my treatment and after reading a lot of posts on this forum, I really kept an eye out for hair fall/shedding, and I did notice what I thought to be more than a normal amount of shedding. By normal I mean the amount of shedding a non balding person should expect to see. However, I was not totally sure that I was shedding since I really never paid attention to how much hair was falling out of my head until I started reading these forums/discovered I was thinning. In the past couple weeks however, I have noticed what seems to be a significant decrease in shedding. Toward the beginning of the treatment, I would mess my hair over my white sink and find 20-30 hairs easily. Now I can run a comb, shake and mess my hair as vigorously as I please and less than 5 hairs in the sink. Overall, I would say that quality of the hair I do have feels really good. I would not say that I have noticed an increase in thickness, but I am taking this reduction in shedding as a positive sign.

Update on my regimen

I have added biotin 1000mg 1x per day. I take 1 propecia every morning, and apply rogaine liquid to my crown and temples every morning and evening. I use Nizoral shampoo 2x per week.

Mr. Henderson

Reaction score
Soooooo. Been like 8 months now. Still on finasteride every day and have gone down to rogaine liquid only once nightly. I prefer the liquid because I just feel it penetrates better. Anyway, I was inspired to post again after buzzing my head today for the first time in years. To those of you with minor thinning, short sides and a longer top can do wonders!!!! It definitely helped me out. Also, I think some of my initial concern regarding thinning was because my hair longer than typical for me, and the way it parted at my crown accentuated the thinning. Once I cut it shorter, the thinning area at the crown just looks like a cowlick. I did, however, notice that my temples may be slightly more receded than I originally thought.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Point I want to make is that I have had no sides from the finasteride or the Rogaine, and believe it has halted my thinning. No sexual dysfunction at all. I too was slightly nervous when starting but in my experience you should try it and see if it works for you.

Hope you all are progressing well.