Alan_'s Story - (22 yrs old)

alan_

Reaction score
hi all! i stumbled upon this forum in my infinite need to understand what is happening, and its been a short term curse, and likely a long term blessing.

about a year and a half ago, i fell into a rut where i had a near continuous panic attack for more than a year. it cost me my job, and i had to move back in with my mother (embarassing). i went on anxiety meds briefly, but because of the severe sides i was experiencing, i decided to just ride it out, and get better on my own. anyway, about 7 months ago, i cut my hair (ive used a bare clipper blade for the better part of 10 years) and noticed my temple on the right side was looking thin. i blamed it on the lighting. then, about 5 months ago, i cut my hair again. this time it was clear that the temple region on the right side was nearly destroyed completely. this tore me up inside, to say the least.

its been about 7 months since i first noticed my thinning, and i just shaved my head with the trusty mach5, and it looks like im on my way to a NW3, but only on my right side. i think id be able to deal with the V-ish widows peak shape, but its the fact that ive lost most of the triangular patch of hair next to eye level (just under the typical temple thinning area on the Norwood scale) has effected me most. im not sure whether i want to stop that area from thinning, or if i just want the other side to hurry the f*** up and at least bring some symetry back (its only a matter of time, i know).

at first, i went nuts buying supplements (all the typical ones.....saw palmetto, omega 3, beta sitosterols, lysine, biotin, ect ect...), and expensive nioxin products thinking i could start the good fight that way. then, i found this forum, and realized that some people are on hardcore regimens and barely maintaining. this broke my confidence in half, but probably for the best.

considering i have a serious history of anxiety (having just started getting my life back on track after a year of constant panic attacks) im seriously apprehensive about taking finasteride. i have a heart murmur, and i dont want to risk the palps that can be caused by minoxidil. i feel like im starting a very long boxing match with both of my arms broken. i plan on seeing my doctor to get a prescription for propecia, but my mother offered to buy me a lasercomb for christmas, and im going to use that with some copper peptides + nizoral for at least 6 months before i start taking the finasteride.

i know the extreme stress didnt cause my male pattern baldness, but im sure it didnt help. unfortunately, i dont have the 2 main weapons against hair loss at my disposal (i probably couldnt afford indefinite minoxidil usage anyway), so i have to put more faith in the secondary products (and the lasercomb, which ive come to see isnt held in very high regard around here). i have a good head for the shiny bald look, but i plan on fighting the crap out of this before i give in and accept that ill be using nair on the ole noggin for the rest of my life.

anyway, im happy i found this forum. if anything, i at least know ill have a good place to vent as i watch my youth slowly trot from my face, to the back of my head. one can never underestimate how much easier it is to be miserable about something when youre around people who share said misery.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Reaction score
If you can, post pics. Nothing will help more than seeing your loss, and honest pics.

Whatever you decide to start with, is better than nothing. And be ready for the long haul. (at least esp with the big 3). Few people notice results quickly. Everyones responds differently, although you will find people with similar hair loss like yours (another reason to post pics) And when things seem worse from taking stuff, people fret and stop, I want to go on a big regiment but am not sure I have the stomach for a long rollercoaster ride... =)

Anyways, good luck, and welcome to the forums mate!

alan_

Reaction score
hmm, yeah i plan on takimg pictures, but i shaved my head about 4 days ago, and im not sure my losss will show up on cam for a bit. as of right now, ive lost a lot of my temple line, and i can see it spreading backwards on my right side.

while ill have my lasercomb just after christmas, im debating whether or not to get some generic propecia as well. ive read that taking .25 grams finasteride is about 80% as effective as taking 1 gram in reducing serum dht. i think that .25 grams is about as much as im comfortable with taking, as i already have hormonal issues. i want to see if i can gain any results with the lasercomb and nizoral for 6 months first though, as my hairloss is still in its early stages (im sure many people on this site would tell me theyd kill for my head of hair, but losing hair at 22 is a b**ch no matter how little)

honestly, id be very happy just maintaining what i have for maybe 5 more years. ive lost a little hair already, but i couldnt care less about growing it back. i have a pretty decent shaped head, and could pull off a chrome dome if need be, but for now im still in the early shock phase. im exhausted like all day, and ive barely eaten for like a week. itll pass, but i already miss the hair i know im going to lose for certain.

i have a bunch of saw palmetto and beta sitosterols. i wonder if i mixed that stuff in with some lotion and rubbed it in, if itd have any effect. i doubt it would, but im wholly losing my mind over this. in any case, i hope i can just manage mainainance for a little while. if i could hit 25-26 with little more loss, id be happy.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Reaction score
Well Id actually personally be curious seeing your head as is now. Shaved but going to grow it back out? May as well post pics photo journals are vital. And I am considering shaving my own head so just curious on a personal level =)

(also lasercomb imo and from what ive read wont do anything, not powerful enough. But worth a shot right =)