Algren's Story - (30)

Algren

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

First post about the subject for me.

Regimen:
Started treatments when noticing progressing from a NW1 to NW2 when around 20 years old.

Started Minoxidil 2% at around 21 on temples only.
Switched quickly to Minoxidil 5% at 22 on temples only.
Nizoral 3 times a week since only 2 months, i.e. 30-1/2 year old.

Now almost 30 year 9 months old, it seems the crown is being attacked, which is the reason why I decided to register and start to get more accurate data on the matter, i.e. propecia, hair transplant...

I would say that I've not much to complain about, regarding other people with much more severe hairloss but I'm really concerned now that I'm about sure it is my crown's hair turn to shed and slowly but surely disappear... :shakehead:
My girlfriend tells me I shouldn't be concerned and the bald spot is not yet really visible, though you can now see my hair has became lighter there...and i know how it ends...

Regarding Minoxidil, I of course experienced extra-dandruff but not to the extent of stopping the treatment.

I think I'll be waiting for my 31 to start propecia but as a lot of people hesitating, I'm concerned about the side effects.

One important precision, I never applied minoxidil on my crown since I thought it was useless, mot loosing hair there, but I'll start pretty soon now.
I only fear the shedding which would make my mood dramatically worse if it made a bald spot appear.

Thank you very much for reading.

Good evening to everyone!

(Edit: I realize Good evening wasn't appropriated, I'm an European guy posting from Europe :) )

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhh sorrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to hear that.

wish you good luck.

Algren

Reaction score
Thks for the encouragement though I thought the soooorrrrrryyyyyyyy was a bit ironical... ;)

First question, maybe I'll post it elsewhere if I don't get reply here.

My father and grandfathers had lost much more hair when they were about my age, my father was about 28 when he had the amount of hair I've now at almost 31.
So I think Minoxidil 5% has helped, and as you can see I'm a long term user.
I guess it helped the temples slightly, even if they receded continuously.

Do you think, or does anybody have a clue about the effect of the Minoxidil on the crown from distant application.
Since it definitely makes grow hair anywhere else on the body, I was thinking it might do the same thing on the crown.

It then makes me wonder whether now applying it on the crown will change anything on the negative evolution.

Reaction score
Hi Algren,

With regard to the propecia side effects, it is in my personal opinion that alot of it is overhyped. I've been on it for going on 11 months now and I haven't noticed any apparent side effects, now that I think about it I might have been a little groggy at first, but I think that is more attributed to the fact that I became cognizant that I was losing hair. I think it was more symptomatic of depression as opposed to the propecia itself (haha :dunno: ). More than likely I do not think you will have any noticeable side effects of propecia use.

As far as the minoxidil is concerned, I would first start propecia and see if it fills in the crown before I start minoxidil. That sh*t is really a hassle to me man, some say it's as easy as brushing your teeth; conversely, to me 2 x daily application reminds me more that I am losing hair as opposed to popping a pill daily. I doubt that applying it to your crown will hurt, but if you look at the disclaimer about products and info about what to expect on the site, it says some might experience initial shedding on minoxidil (as well as propecia). I personally didn't experience this (I think) on my hairline where I applied it, but everyone is different. I mean in the info packet included with the product, it says it works best on the crown/vertex region, so I think you might have a decent chance of growing/thickening in this area.

However, to be totally candid with you, it's all a gamble, there are no consistent results, everyone is different. Your best bet is to do research and come up with a gameplan that you can accept predicated on said research and your lifestyle.

But I would try finasteride for a year and see if that does the job b4 I try minoxidil on the hairline dude..........that's just me.........

Good luck and......

PEEAAAAAAAAACE!

Reaction score
Whoops meant to say on the crown, instead of hairline...that's transference, thinking about my own situation instead of yours..

Sorry.

Algren

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give a try to Propecia anyway, just a matter of weeks or months to jump on the bandwagon.

About Minoxidil, I know how it can be a hassle, but when you stick it to your morning and night program, i.e. teethbrushing, showering, etc...well you get used to it. So it wouldn't be a big deal to apply it on the crown then.

I've a crown which looks absolutely ok actually, it's only if you're less than 20cm from it than you can maybe observe a 1cm lighter spot, so no big worries.

But I would say the worse it the impact of hairloss on the everyday life. I think it's what gather all of us concerned by hairloss.
Just thinking that some guys don't even give a sh*t about their hair, wash it maybe only once a week, take absolutely no care about it and have a full head of hair is somehow pissing off.
We could be doing so much other stuff if we didn't have this ####### matter to deal with.

Algren

Reaction score
Started MSM 1g/day about one month and a half ago.
Cannot tell it has done anything...

Just bought 3 months supply of Propecia.

But I'll start from beginning of next year to have an accurate starting reference date.

By the way, not that I want to frighten ourselves on purpose, but have you heard about this new study released very recently, on the 4th of December 2009, i.e. 3 days ago...

"In December 2009, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency in the UK announced new drug safety advice on finasteride and the potential risk of male breast cancer. The agency concluded that, although overall incidence of male breast cancer in clinical trials for finasteride 5mg was not significantly increased, a higher risk of male breast cancer with finasteride use cannot be excluded. A warning on this risk will be included in the product information."
Source Wikipedia

These are bad news in any case. :(

Algren

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not much comments regarding this negative feedback for the Propecia it seems...

Anyway, as a new update, it seems I have a slight regrowth of thin hair in one temple. I can hardly believe it since I've been using Minoxidil for almost 10 years.

But It might be logical if I consider my use of Ketoconazole Shampoo every other day, and the daily 1g MSM diet.

Please, could you people who are aware of transplants, advise me where you would go, anywhere around the world, if you had to do a FUE transplant just to fill in the temples. I'm ready to put money on it if I can be sure of the result, hence travelling anywhere in order to find the best surgeon, and not necessarely the most well known one.

Your feedback will be really appreciated.

Algren

Reaction score
Hi,

Haven't jumped on the Propecia bandwagon yet...

Found by surprise women forums talking about their couple having difficulties getting a baby...interesting!

The facts:
Very negative results found in spermograms, receding after 3 months of complete halt of Propecia regimen...

Other thing I noticed, have 3 hairs distant from my hairline which are growing back since I added MSM and/or Nizoral shampoo to my regimen...
this is a bit weird I have to admit...but then I'm sticking to it...