AlibiX's Story - (4 years of treating Androgenetic Alopecia (+ pics)

AlibiX

Reaction score
Due to improving my foreign language skills, I decided to join this board and share my story.

I am 22, student and live in germany, directly on the boarder to switzerland.
My hairloss started at age 16 or 17. A beginning tonsure at this age sucks definitifly!

aga1ci1.jpg

(July 07)

I treated my Androgenetic Alopecia when I was 19, in august 07 with finasteride (~1,25mg).
Then I fullfilled my regimen with a Ket shampoo and a flutamide topical.
The effect was totally remarkable!
In december (after just 4 month on finasteride!) my hair status had improved a lot, however, I decided to use Minoxidil too.
I archieved a wounderful hair status, here are pics taken in march 08.

2008lk.jpg

But since this time, I have lost plenty of hair.
I cannot answer the question what went wrong, but I suppose that minoxidil damaged my hair. Three or four month after starting with the foam in december 07, my hair went worse and worse every month.
Because of skin irritation I switched to a liquid version and mixed the 5% lotion with alcohol (1:1). I used this just once per day, the foam was used twice a day before.
Last year I hoped to get a new boost by doubling the amount of minoxidil and restarted using the foam in the morning and the liquid still in the evening.
The result was, that I lost plenty of hair, exactly in the areas I used the foam too.

13199548.jpg

This pic reflects my current hair status. I think I am back where I started. Norwood 3 vertex with thinning hair between the hairline and the tonsure.
Last summer I dumped minoxidil and went back to the roots: dht inhibitors!
I'm using finasteride (oral) and two topicals: spironolactone and zix (made by a german board user).
Since a few days I decided to put 2 dutas in 100ml spironolactone (mix it in 10ml amounts ~ weekly)
A Ket shampoo is obligatory.

But there remains one unanswered question: what went wrong? My only logical assumption is, that minoxidil damaged my hair. A reducing effect of finasterid is absolutly unusual in such a short time slot...especially after such an awsome success! Wish I would have never taken minoxidil. That's life, but it's easy to be wise after the event.
:dunno:

kind regards from germany.

ps: side effects are not worthy of mention.

lazman

Reaction score
Re: AlibiX's rollercoaster - 4 years of treating Androgenetic Alopecia (+ pics)

my advice:

-use minoxidil without ppg from genhair or minoxidil max twice daily, rub it in well. (start with 0.5ml for each application, maybe you wont even need 1.0ml ever)-pay attention to the irritation if u get any, use less or stop for a few days. never use it on wet hair.

-use nizoral every third day and no conditioner or other shampoos

-use an aloe vera gel or liquid (get the purest available it can also contain arnica or tea tree oil -like from dr organic (that one is the best) everyday in the middle of the day between the minoxidil applications (rub it in nice), and use plenty of it always and let it dry, especially after each nizoral application as a conditioner. it will really help with all irritation. makes your hair and scalp feel awesome

-use finasteride 1mg daily

-dont use anything else for at least a year (if it works maybe never), this routine you can do for the rest of your life

- wait for at least 3 months before you judge. and be consistent daily.
wait and you will see:)

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

hey lazman hows your hair doing, what treatmens you on, please tell me a shedding/result timeline, thanks

AlibiX

Reaction score

Did your read my post clearly?

The more minoxidil I've used the more hair I've lost!
I wrote, that I'm using a shampoo that contains ketoconazol, and I wrote that I'm using finasteride, too.
1mg finasteride is too much by the way.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495374

I treated my male pattern baldness a long time with finasteride, minoxidil, and ket...but it didn't work, not even to maintain.

To clear a misunderstanding out: I have no skin irritation anymore although my self made spironolactone-duta lotion contains ppg. ;)