All about... lignans and phytoestrogens!

Hoppi

Reaction score
My current obsession and interest in attempts to regulate my hormones (as well as taking Holy Basil) are lignans! :)

Apparently lignans are part of a few types of phytoestrogen, along with isoflavones and coumestan.

Now, someone will need to fill me in on whether all of the lignans have a similar effect within the body at influencing sex hormone levels (testosterone and estrogen) and whether they actually effectively REGULATE them, or can sometimes cause them to dip too low or too high?

Also in my case, I cannot take Flax as I've been told the potential bleeding side effect of Flax could mix badly with the blood thinning side of Holy Basil (both treatments are fine, you just need to be careful not to tempt fate sometimes! :) ). I am wondering if I can take this instead: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU207/ItemDetail or get lignans into my diet through other sources such as sesame seeds or rye.

I would be fascinated to hear opinions on this :)

I think that keeping free testosterone and estrogen at healthy levels is really important in controlling male pattern baldness, in most individuals. Of course things like exercise and good diet will help (SHBG up and insulin down, for example), but it can't help to give it a friendly push in the right direction!

So! What do you guys think of lignans and flax seeds, and does anyone know what I can do about my finding alternatives to flax? It would be great to get some more info on this and share opinions!

Cheers much!

Hoppi :)