Am I a good candidate for hair transplant?

talon39

Reaction score
Am I a good candidate for a Hair Transplant?
How many grafts do you estimate I will need?
Will it be enough to restore a dense hairline and add density to my diffuse thinning area?
If I have a successful transplant, what can I expect in the future?

• I am 38 years old.
  • I have not used any treatments other than a couple 6 month stints with minoxidil.
  • I have dense donor areas.

PICT0013.jpg

When my hair loss finally became obvious at age 28, I began to use minoxidil. After I used the minoxidil for about 6 months, I realized that minoxidil only halted my hair loss. It did not regrow my hairline. I got discouraged and gave up. At age 32, I began to shave my head bald. For 5 years I was a chrome dome. Last year I decided I want my hair back. I started reading and decided to try 15% minoxdil + 5% Azelaic acid. I also took saw palmetto. This again halted my hair loss and regrew some hair. However the regrowth has been minimal and has not made a noticeable difference in my appearance. It has become apparent that Minoxidil can not restore my hair line. I was previously afraid to consider a hair transplant for two reasons. In the past the hair transplant results I had seen were not good. I remember the doll hair I had seen years ago. I was also afraid my hairline would continue to recede and leave me with a strange island of hair.
Now I see the results of modern hair transplant techniques look very good. Also I am older. My Hair loss has been slow and gradual. I am hoping because of my age, I have a better idea of where I will end up. Less chance of ending up with an island of hair in the front.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

s.a.f

Reaction score
It all depends on your expectations if you just want hair then you look like a good candidate since you still seem to have alot of hair left (ie not slick bald) and that hair grown out will help to add extra density.
If you are expecting to have teenage hair like Brad Pitt then forget it.
Are you on meds or are you still losing it?

Take a look at this.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45259

G

talon39,

Well a couople of questions first. You probably know from your years of research that while minoxidil does have some benefit, it does not inhibit DHT right? Finasteride on the other hand does. Possibly you choose not to use finasteride like some guys (potential side-effects), but unless you deal with the cause of your hairloss, DHT, the progression will continue. That leads to the next question.

How extensive is male pattern baldness on both sides of your family history? Any class 7s? You are at a stones' throw from a class 6 yet you appear to have very strong density and sides, good hair quality. How long have you been in the present class you are in now? I mean has the progression seemed to have slowed because you have already lost most of what is in the zone of demarcation? How is your crown? My guess is that you have been in the present class of hairloss for some time now. Your age is also a good sign.

It also depends on your goals. Are you attempting to cover the crown too? You definitely have potential if the above questions have positive answers. :bravo:

talon39

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
It all depends on your expectations if you just want hair then you look like a good candidate since you still seem to have alot of hair left (ie not slick bald) and that hair grown out will help to add extra density.
If you are expecting to have teenage hair like Brad Pitt then forget it.
Are you on meds or are you still losing it?

Take a look at this.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45259

I have started monoxidil again and I am trying to locate a cheap source of Proscar or Avodart (I dont have a prescription). I dont expect to look like Brad Pitt. I just want a more youthful appearance.
I am looking for improvement that the average person can not detect is a hair transplant.
Ideally I would like to look like I am not balding and have my surgery undetectable to a girl when we fool around.

talon39

Reaction score
gillenator said:
talon39,

Well a couople of questions first. You probably know from your years of research that while minoxidil does have some benefit, it does not inhibit DHT right? Finasteride on the other hand does. Possibly you choose not to use finasteride like some guys (potential side-effects), but unless you deal with the cause of your hairloss, DHT, the progression will continue. That leads to the next question.

How extensive is male pattern baldness on both sides of your family history? Any class 7s? You are at a stones' throw from a class 6 yet you appear to have very strong density and sides, good hair quality. How long have you been in the present class you are in now? I mean has the progression seemed to have slowed because you have already lost most of what is in the zone of demarcation? How is your crown? My guess is that you have been in the present class of hairloss for some time now. Your age is also a good sign.

It also depends on your goals. Are you attempting to cover the crown too? You definitely have potential if the above questions have positive answers. :bravo:

Yes I am aware of the DHT problem. The first time I took Monoxidil, propecia was not yet available. Last year the product I chose contained 5% Azelaic acid to inhibit the affect of the DHT. In the past I took an anti-depressant similar to Prozac, and I DID experience sexual sides. Therefore I was resistant to try finasteride. Now I am more open to the idea.
I am not aware of any baldness in my father's family. Baldness is rare in my mother's family and only effects the elderly men. I am the only person out of ALL of my cousins on both sides of my family to experience this level of hair loss.
I am unsure how long I have been at the present class because I have been shaving my head for 5 years. Judging from the hairline I had 5 years ago, my hairline has not moved much, the thinning has very slowing increased (with no meds). I do not have a bald spot on the crown of my head. The thinning is worse in the front and gradually becomes more dense toward the back of my head. The sides and back are very dense. They do not appear to have thinned at all.

talon39

Reaction score
Thanks for your help s.a.f. and gillenator. Anyone want to take a crack at my original questions?
Here is a picture of the crown of my head. In these pictures, my hair was cut with a #3 clipper. Maybe this will give you a better idea of my density.

PICT0020sm.jpg
PICT0013.jpg

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you can probably acheive pretty good density depending upon your donor area density. You still have a decent bit of hair left. You may not look 18, but you can definitely have plenty of hair for a 38 year old.

G

talon39,

I am familiar with the minoxidil based product you were using last year however I am somewhat skeptical about the true effectiveness of the azelaic acid that is added. If you have continued to thin including the time you were using this product then it appears it is not doing much for the DHT. Glad to hear you are open to taking finasteride again and even if you get the side-effects again, go back to your doctor who may advise you to take it every other day. But SEE YOUR DOCTOR before you begin because you DO NEED a prescirtion for it.

You're definitely in the Norwood A class with thinning front-to-back, and you have good potential providing you get back on effective meds. And if you elect to move forward with the procedure, ask your Doctor about the benefit of being on Proepcia for a good six months before surgery to help reduce the efeects of shockloss. Diffused thinning is even more at risk for shock so anything you can do to reduce it would be beneficial for you. Wish you the best and keep us in the loop!

talon39

Reaction score
Thanks gillenator,
I ordered some Fincar online. Fincar is a generic version of Proscar. Fincar is 5mg finasteride, so I am splitting the pills into 4. This was by far the most economical solution (the only one I can afford). I will continue to use Minoxidil. I also purchased the "Amazing Laser Brush". Because my hairline is so bad and my hair is so thin, i havent been able to find a combination of concealers that I am satisfied with.. I am strongly considering a hair transplant.
How many grafts do you guesstimate I need? I understand the members here are not doctors. A hip-shot guess is ok.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
talon39 said:
Thanks gillenator,
I ordered some Fincar online. Fincar is a generic version of Proscar. Fincar is 5mg finasteride, so I am splitting the pills into 4. This was by far the most economical solution (the only one I can afford). I will continue to use Minoxidil. I also purchased the "Amazing Laser Brush". Because my hairline is so bad and my hair is so thin, i havent been able to find a combination of concealers that I am satisfied with.. I am strongly considering a hair transplant.
How many grafts do you guesstimate I need? I understand the members here are not doctors. A hip-shot guess is ok.

the "amazing laser brush" is an amazing waste of time and money

talon39

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
the "amazing laser brush" is an amazing waste of time and money

Perhaps, but i already have it, so it wont hurt to use it.. Anyone want to try to answer my question?

G

Hi Talon-- well without seeing you in person it is hard to get a true "read" on your type of case--because some people look like they have more in photos, but turns out to be less in person and vice versa----

Having said that here is an estimate based on average density, average scalp laxity, and going to a great clinic....

Average guy has 85-90 fu's cm/2 in his donor region--- you could have more, could have less--- it's just an average for math's sake :)

Virgin scalp with average laxity, I'd say 1.3-1.5cm wide strip 25-28cm long will yield 3000 to 3600 grafts on the average guy--- again some guys have higher density

Unless you have great laxity or super density, I'd plan on 2 sessions

My advice is if your ready, you should begin to search in earnest--- 4000-5000 grafts will likely change your look completely--- at 38 you seem to be holding on pretty well--- I say hit the frontal 120cm, re-assess and decide how you want to proceed thereafter--- Of course, you'll need to visit some clinics to get a final opinion from a doctor.

Good Luck
Jason

G

talon,

Soundls like a good regimen for you. I think you would look great with potentially around 3,000 grafts! :jump:

talon39

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. Now I can take a guesstimate as to whether a hair transplant is even possible for me.. In USA that answer is... No :sobbing:
At $3 per graft, the total comes to $9000 (give or take $1500). Perhaps I can go to a foreign clinic.