Am I Balding? ( Please Help! )

Barghest

Reaction score
I am a 25, soon to be 26 year old multi-racial male. My hair is naturally wavy, if not curly, and somewhat fine. My father at 62 has a stable hairline from what I can see, as do his brothers. I'm not sure about his father or uncles ( He keeps his hair buzzed though ). The possibility of receding/thinning/going completely bald never crossed my mind at all until a few months ago when someone commented that my hair looked thinner at the temples. It wasn't until I took a closer look that I started seeing more of my forehead altogether. Since then I've been agonizing over it and didn't know if I should get it checked out. Denial and outright uncertainty saw me stuck but I'm fearing the worst.

I have a sloping forehead that's always been pretty big but I can't shake the feeling that my hairline has gone back and honestly think it has. If it helps at all, my maternal grandfather who is no longer here had most of his hair even into his 80's. Looking at my only maternal uncle and his only son, they both have receding hairlines; my uncle is 60 and is pretty bad, my cousin is a bit better, but not by much, in his mid 30's.

I wasn't entirely sure what kind of angles I should take or if these pictures are clear enough, but, I could really use an outside opinion. I'm terrified of losing my hair and I'm just going to be completely honest, I need help. I know this probably comes up a thousand times; sometimes warranted and others times not but I don't know what else to do. I'm just feeling so downtrodden right now and I can't shake it.

Picture 3.jpgPicture 5.jpgPicture 6.jpgPicture 7.jpg

resu

Reaction score
If you're serious just look at old photos and compare, check the wrinkles on the forehead, the last wrinkle is where the original hairline was.

I have a feeling this is some kind of online trolling with people posting full heads of hair asking if they're balding, I mean what other explanation is there?

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
At least you never worried about hair loss until you were 25, lucky you.

Your hair looks flawless in the first three pictures, one temple is slightly thinner in the fourth, honestly I don't know if it's worth stressing about =\
Take the same pictures every six months, if you notice it's thinning too fast, get on finasteride.

My guess is your hairline will only get slightly thinner within the next 10-15 years, and there will hopefully be better treatments around by then, but you may not even need them.

And seriously who are these awful friends everyone seems to have, my hair looks much worse than this and I've never heard any comment about my thinning =\

Barghest

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you all for replying. Resu, I just want to say it wasn't and isn't my intention at all to troll anyone. After what was mentioned by a friend and actually taking a good look at a few of my relatives who have had extensive hairloss, I panicked! I tried the wrinkle test; there's about a 3/4 inch gap between the last one and my hairline at the moment, so I've lost a bit in that. I'm sorry if this came off as something malicious. I was/am genuinely concerned!

Vlatch, the friend who actually made me take notice of my hair in the first place ( I never paid much attention before. I was in the habit of keeping it short at the time) made the comment offhandedly, but I never thought she was intentionally trying to be mean. Nevertheless, it stuck with me and it has picked at the back of mind for a long time now. I was told my dermatologist could prescribe finasteride, if need be ( not sure about my family doctor ) but as I don't have insurance right now a visit to either would have to wait.

I appreciate all the feedback more than you'll ever know and with it in mind, I'll keep a close eye out for any changes in the meantime.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
What's the deal with all these FULL HEADS coming here lately worried if they are going bald. Your hair looks more than fine

resu

Reaction score
At worse you have a mature hairline which in your case is a NW1. I can only imagine how low your hairline was for you or your friend to think that you're starting to recede.