Am i going bald (27 years old)

Zescho

Reaction score
Short story:

On a picture recently i realized, that my hair line in the right side of the head, was higher than in my left side. I started to look back at pictures years back, and for the last 3 years at least, it's been like that. Whenever the hair is short, it's visible, once it get's longer, the difference events out, and you can't see the difference that well anymore. From what i can see, the hair on the right side does grow, but it grows alot slower than on the left.

On a recent pictures however, i thought it looked especially bad, so i started looking more into it. It seems as if only the right side of the head is affected, and the left side has strong and fine hair. Once i saw it, i freaked out, and went out and bought a minoxidil product straight away. It started looking especially bad, just after a break up this year, 2 months ago. I think it looks alot better now, than it did 2 months ago, but i'm still concerned.

given this information, do i have something to worry about? I'm attaching pictures for you guys to see. So far, i'm using minoxidil on primarily the right side of the front of the head. Would you recommend something else?

IMG_1255.JPGIMG_1256.JPGIMG_1257.JPGIMG_1258.JPGIMG_1259.JPGIMG_1260.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0147.PNG
    IMG_0147.PNG
    214.8 KB · Views: 1,019

Zescho

Reaction score
I've bought minoxidil for the next 6 months. It couldn't hurt to use it right? Just to make sure.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For 27 years old, you have good amount of hair. Having an eneven hairline is very normal.
My right side goes much further than my left. But it's often the first sign.

It probably is the first sign of temple recession. Usually this happens at a younger age
for most men (around twenty, or younger).

If you are losing your hair, it is a Norwood one, at that.

Yeah, could definitely be a lot worse for someone in his late twenties. Good that he caught it now and not later.

Norwood one might be a bit optimistic...that kind of temporal recession is maybe a 2.5 or 3. Not too late though. Try finasteride for a year, and hair transplant if it still bothers you and you've maintained after 8-10 years.

Do you have pictures of 4 or 5 years ago?

Zescho

Reaction score
IMG_1279.JPGIMG_1280.JPG

These pictures are from 4 years ago. I always had a pretty high forehead, so i didn't notice anything until recently. I'm the guy on the left picture on the right.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What I can tell by the pictures you shared is that you're probably losing hair at a slow rate. You caught it right in time and made a good choice by ordering minoxidil. Try not to worry too much and see what the minoxidil does for you.

Zescho

Reaction score
thanks guys, i'll start up my minoxidil 5 % treatment. I'll take some new pics in around a month, to see, if i can see some progress there.

It did start to get bad, both the growth rate of the hair, and the temple after a break-up during a exam period. I don't know if this have anything to do with it. It might be stress related. Supposing my hair looks good again in one month, would you recommend i stopped using minoxidil, just to see, whether or not, it was caused by stress or not, or should i just continue?

Also: right now i'm only using it on the temples, not on the crown. My crown looks fine right now, so i suppose i don't see a reason to use it there, unless it starts to go bad. Do you think i should use it there aswell as a precaution, cf. the pictures you see?

http://visihow.com/Will_receding_hairline_caused_by_stress_grow_back

The above mentioned article suggests, that temple recession, centered primarily around the right temple (which is true in my case), could be caused by severe stress. Could there be any truth to this, if yes, how do i got about it? My last exam is the 14th, after that i have summer holidays for months, and thus, can relax and relieve stress.

marine608

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Supposing my hair looks good again in one month, would you recommend i stopped using minoxidil, just to see, whether or not, it was caused by stress or not, or should i just continue?"

What kind of logic is that? If your hair looks good again in one month WHILE using minoxidil then wouldn't your results be from minoxidil??? Hair doesn't grow that fast; atleast not fast enough for you to see "normal coverage" again. Based off of what information there is on stress induced hair loss, it takes about 6 months or longer (after you've eliminated whatever is causing you that stress) for your hair to grow back to normal, so if you're really certain your hair loss is due to stress, then try waiting to see what your hair looks like in 6 months (which I don't recommend, since to me it's quite obvious you have male pattern baldness).

Zescho

Reaction score
"Supposing my hair looks good again in one month, would you recommend i stopped using minoxidil, just to see, whether or not, it was caused by stress or not, or should i just continue?"

What kind of logic is that? If your hair looks good again in one month WHILE using minoxidil then wouldn't your results be from minoxidil??? Hair doesn't grow that fast; atleast not fast enough for you to see "normal coverage" again. Based off of what information there is on stress induced hair loss, it takes about 6 months or longer (after you've eliminated whatever is causing you that stress) for your hair to grow back to normal, so if you're really certain your hair loss is due to stress, then try waiting to see what your hair looks like in 6 months (which I don't recommend, since to me it's quite obvious you have male pattern baldness).

Supposing you're right about male pattern baldness, why is it apparently only happening on the right temple? My left temple still looks just like it has been for the last 4 years (always had a high forehead). That's the one thing I can't find sense in. Wouldn't a temple recession caused my male pattern baldness, be happening on both temples, and not just aggressively hit the right side?

Zescho

Reaction score
Mine started on the right temple too. Oddly enough, my left temple is now worse than the right.

I hear what you're saying. I'm on minoxidi 5 % for now, using most of the daily dose on the right temple area (the tiny hairs still growing a little) I won't go near anything like finasteride, unless I don't see a improvement in the right temple area in around a month. I see very small hairs growing around the bald right temple area. Those are the ones I hope to stimulate with minoxidil. We'll see what happens. I'll post some new pics in a month. Depending on those, I'll consider finasteride.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
male pattern baldness happens differently to everyone. Some people start losing at the crown, some on the right temple, some at the left, some all three at the same time.

BTW, what's your family history of hair loss?

Zescho

Reaction score
My fathers side is pretty bald, while my moms side all had great hair, up until the day they died. I always had very strong and thick hair, just like everyone from my mothers side.