Am I losing hair? Propecia and shedding?

dfi

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum.

With many of my friends balding/thinning, I've been carefully scrutinizing over my own hair. Frankly, at this point I'm not sure if I'm really losing my hair, or if I'm merely imagining it. If I'm thinning at all, I would probably say it's in the frontal area. This year I changed my hair part to the side after 8-9 years of parting it in the center, so perhaps that is the real culprit? I can see my scale when my hair is wet, but maybe it's always been that way.

I have my mother's hair, and the men on her side have all retained their hair. However, the men on my father's side all have the typical horseshoe shape. Guess whose genes I'm praying for?

I've been reading a lot of posts here, and am very alarmed to hear that some people shed more hair when using propecia/finasteride. Hopefully for them it's Telogen Effluvium, but it really is unclear to me if the hair ever grew back. At this stage when I am unsure of my own hair, I want to take preventive measures but definitely don't want to make things worse. Has anyone ramped up the dosage from 0.25mg up to 1mg to see if that gives the body more time to adjust to the hormonal changes?

When did you first realize you were balding?

Btw, I'm so glad there is an forum with such a wealth of information. I would've been lost otherwise.