am on finasteride. Doctor says no to minoxidil. agree?

jowill

Reaction score
hi guys,

im new to the forum and did a fair bit of reading before going to see the dermatologist last week.

the doctor prescribed finasteride but wasnt that keen on minoxidil and although he discussed it as an option he said he'd leave it up to me as to whether I wanted to use it.

so i have a few questions i was hoping you guys could answer, id really appreciate it!

1) i understand i can expect that finasteride will stop hair loss, but unlikely to regrow it? the doctor said finasteride has an 80% chance of stopping hair loss and a 5% chance of regrowth.

2) have you used finasteride and not minoxidil? if so, what were the results?

3) would you recommend i use minoxidil aswell? if so, why? i can handle taking a pill but am a bit unsure of the minoxidil stuff i.e. the shedding and the time taken to apply it. do results show that minoxidil is a strong chance of regrowth? or is it just not worth the effort?

4) would you recommend i use regenepure DR and NT shampoos?

5) can these shampoos be used with finasteride, but without the use of minoxidil?

6) the doctor prescribed the 5% finasteride. one tablet per week. ive read about people taking daily and cutting of pills etc. dos one a week sound right?

7) is general tiredness a possible side effect of finasteride? i dunno if it is, or its just in my head, or just the super hot weather we have at the moment.

cheers

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Jowill, If you are in the beginning throes of hair loss and can tolerate to be patient,personally I would wait at least 6 months before I would want to introduce a new weapon to my regimen. Lets see how you respond to finasteride. first. Also you may want to divide the dosage and start on a lower dosage than your Doctor prescribed and over time work your way up. Think of it as weaning yourself off a substance in reverse. The point of this is to mitigate or prevent any potential adverse sides. Its certainly possible youll respond at a lesser dosage. Which is an ideal scenario for anyone. Just something you might want to consider. Work your way up in increments 2-3 months apart and by a 1yr-1.5yrs you can consider more options. Best Wishes!

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
1) i understand i can expect that finasteride will stop hair loss, but unlikely to regrow it? the doctor said finasteride has an 80% chance of stopping hair loss and a 5% chance of regrowth
I somewhat agree, all hair regrowth I've had so far has been from minoxidil, but finasteride has made my hairloss almost inexistent. If you're a diffuse thinner I wouldn't recommend Rogaine for treatment
2) have you used finasteride and not minoxidil? if so, what were the results?
I've only been on finasteride for three months, so I'm not sure
3) would you recommend i use minoxidil aswell? if so, why? i can handle taking a pill but am a bit unsure of the minoxidil stuff i.e. the shedding and the time taken to apply it. do results show that minoxidil is a strong chance of regrowth? or is it just not worth the effor
Yes, it forces hair follicles into the growth phase. You'll probably go through a shed- I did
4) would you recommend i use regenepure DR and NT shampoos?
Yes! I used Regenepure (just switched to Nizoral to see the difference) and it was really helpful
5) can these shampoos be used with finasteride, but without the use of minoxidil?
Yes
6) the doctor prescribed the 5% finasteride. one tablet per week. ive read about people taking daily and cutting of pills etc. dos one a week sound right
5% finasteride..? Do you mean 5mg? I take 1mg a night
7) is general tiredness a possible side effect of finasteride? i dunno if it is, or its just in my head, or just the super hot weather we have at the moment.
Yup, read up if you're going to take this stuff