Amtrna's Story - (29, receding hairline)

amtrna

Reaction score
So I've been losing hair for past 2.5 years. Since my rate of loss has been slow, I've been somewhat lazy about doing anything major about it. I had gotten a perscription of Propecia a couple of years ago but got turned off by the drug after reading posts (here and other sites) about side effects. I actually took Procerine instead based on seeing positive feedbacks on askdocweb.com. (note: Procerine may have helped slow rate of loss....but IMO, it doesn't really work). I've also been using Nizoral consistently and have tried minoxidil (very inconsistenly).

Anyways, I think I've reached a point where it's getting harder to conceal my loss and I'm confused (thanks to the over abundance of information on the web) as to what to do next. I'm around a Norwood 3.

I am considering starting on .2 mg Propecia (and gradually increasing) but am paranoid about sides.
*Do people recommend getting any special tests done (e.g. hormonal tests) or should I just bite the bullet, try it out and see what happens?
*If I do try it and let's say I have some sides I am not happy with, can I just quit cold turkey or do I have to be careful about how I quit?

Alternatively, I am considering staying away from Propecia and just doing minoxidil, Revivogen, Nizoral and taking some supplements (e.g. Zinc, vit B). I've noticed a few people who've taken propecia and then after a few years done away with the pill and just continued with minoxidil, Revivogen, etc.. Any thoughts about this 'safer' regiment?

Any advice is appeciated!

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: AR's story - (29, receding hairline)

The best and pretty much onbly advice anyone could really give you is to pick a line and stick with it. You need to stay concistent with your reg, otherwise you're just wasting time and money my friend. I understand that Min is rather tiresome to stick with, wich is why I've chosen finasteride and nizoral for now. The sides are very uncommon, you just hear a lot of the bad and it sticks into your mind alot more than hearing someone like myself whose only side effect is growning more hair. You could try other things like tricomin and rovivogen and all those, but The Big Three is called what it is for a reason: They're the ones that work most of the time.

Just pick one and stick to it man, it's the only way you'll ever get the results you're looking for.

-DH

amtrna

Reaction score
Re: AR's story - (29, receding hairline)

So I decided to go on Propecia (and continue with Nizoral) this week. I am starting off with 0.5 mg and may eventually work up to 1mg depending on sides and effectiveness.

Moreover, once I know hair loss has stopped, I'll add on minoxidil and then I'll be on the Big 3 (3 years later!). If this works, I'll kick myself in the rear for waiting this long.

I've added some pictures I took day before I took my first propecia pill. I'll post some more in the next few months. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 11232008.jpg
    11232008.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 11232008(001).jpg
    11232008(001).jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 11232008(002).jpg
    11232008(002).jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 289

amtrna

Reaction score
Re: AR's Story - (29, receding hairline)

Hey folks,

wanted to give my 4 month update. I've been taking Propecia since December '08. I first started off with .5mg and after about 1.5 months I went to 1mg a day (since I didn't notice any side-effects).
I noticed a difference within a few days (at .5mg). Shedding decreased but then after a few weeks, it picked up again. I then increased dosage to 1mg.
I take 1mg in the morning after showering. I do skip dosages once or twice a week. I think my body has gotten used to Propecia. That's why I don't mind skipping a dosage or two every week. But in general, I stick to the daily dosage.
I also, use Nizoral shampoo (1%) about 2-3 times a week. This past week, I just started taking Finpecia since it's cheaper and I got a bunch from India.

Here's what I have noticed:
* Hair around vertex and crown had initially thickened
* Hair in front and temples has not thickened or experienced any noticeable re-growth.
* Shedding has not decreased. I still do lose hair when I comb and shower. As a result, the hair loss on crown and vertext seems to have not improved.

I am going to continue taking Propecia for a few more months. I haven't added minoxidil yet, but may do so.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I feel propecia isn't really working.

I tried to post some pics but I'm having issues. I'll try to put them on some other site soon.

~A

MrSweetScience

Reaction score
I used propecia on and off for 3 years. 6 months was the longest i took it along with Rogaine. I didn't notice much, i would have continued but with the side effects i received in that short of a time i was turned off. Some say they go away or lessen. but ive read bad things about long term effects, i discontinued use. Are you experiencing sides??? I'm 23. 20 when i started. My father was 48 when he started he's 54 now. He used Propecia with Rogaine. He kept what he had and thickened out a fair amount. Based on that i would say you should be using Rogaine or a growth stimulant with Propecia. Propecia is just a inhibitor so you probably wouldn't see much growth.

Personally, right now im simply using Rogaine. Within the next few months im going to try:

Revivogen
Saw Palmetto
Magnesium
Nettles
Rogaine
Tricomin

....this is based on research ive done, and the fact that i'd rather take the more natural approach due to my personal beliefs and experiences, which have changed dramatically the past 6 months.

On Propecia have you noticed...

Libido Problems?
Watery Ejac?
Dysfunction?
Brain Fog?
Testicular Pain?

these are things i would keep a close eye on

amtrna

Reaction score
Hi,

so i finally got some pictures up. To answer the previous email: I haven't experienced any side effects and I just got some bloodwork done and it came back good.

I've attached 3 pix:

1. Wet hair after hair cut
2. Dry hair before hair cut
3. Dry hair after hair cut

As you can see, my hair line has receded and I'm not sure if Propecia (and now Finpecia)/Nirzoral are really halting hair loss. I believe it might have slowed it down a little, but I still shed.

I am considering adding Revivogen or Rogaine Foam. Will see how that goes. I would like to stop the frontal hair loss.

Any thoughts/comments?

Amit

Attachments

• Hair-1.jpg
    Hair-1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,892
  • Hair-2.jpg
    Hair-2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,896
  • Hair-3.jpg
    Hair-3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,910

amtrna

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted to give you my 1 year update.

I've been using Propecia and Nizoral for the past year (I didn't add Rogaine Foam). Throughout the year my hair has continued to fall (especially after showers). I feel rate of hairloss has been slower rate than if I was not taking Propecia. I don't have any major side effects (except for watery semen every now and then). I do find that my body gets used to Propecia and have recently noticed that if I stop taking it for a day or two, then restart it, it becomes effective again. I'm experimenting with skipping a dose at least twice a week.

My hairline has continued to recede and my temples have really receded now. With wet hair you can see my scalp easily in the front. I'm posting a few pix and with dry hair it might not seem that bad, but I can easily tell my hair is less than last year. Plus the density of hair at the top feels much less than last year and when compared to the hair in the back of my head.

I've added Foam this week and I am going to keep my fingers crossed. I think if I can maintain with the Big 3, I'll be very happy!

Attachments

• Hair3.jpg
    Hair3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Pic 1 copy.jpg
    Pic 1 copy.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Pic 2 copy.jpg
    Pic 2 copy.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 228

amtrna

Reaction score
I was wondering a few things:

1. Does Propecia HAVE to be applied at the same time every day to be effective? I was talking to my GF who's about to get on birth control pill and she said that she has to take those pills at the same time every day, else they are not effective. I wonder if Propecia is the same.

2. What's the best way to apply Rogaine Foam? I'm currently putting some foam in one hand, then rubbing it all over scalp (front/top) with the other hand -not sure if i'm doing it the most effective way.

Thanks!

amtrna

Reaction score
Hello,

so it's been a year and a half. I've been continuing on Propecia and I added rogaine foam in December '09. I've been applying Rogaine once a night.

Similar to when I first started taking Propecia (where I noticed reduction of shedding initially, but then it picked up again), Rogaine also had a similar pattern where I initially experienced reduced shedding but then hair loss continued.

I'm not sure why this happens - it's like my body gets used to the drug/foam and then it seems as though there's no further improvements/impact.

The biggest shedding comes when hair is wet after shower and this shedding has not reduced any.

I try to be very delicate with my hair, drink green tea, try to keep up with protein intake, take multi-vitamins and have even started some deep breathing (yoga) exercises.

I feel like I'm losing the battle, especially in the front.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 051610-1.jpg
    051610-1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 051610-2.jpg
    051610-2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 051610-3.jpg
    051610-3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 051610-4.jpg
    051610-4.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 233

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
It still looks better compared to your first pictures. I dont know, but you might just have shedding from the foam/propecia and everything might return.

One advice though, let your hair dry naturally after you take a shower before touching it. Hair is, when wet, alot weaker.

Maxifoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Amtrna,

I agree with the folks, hair seems better today then 1.5 years ago.

Hope for you that things will continue to get better in the next 6 months.

I understand how you feel about losing the battle but looking at your pictures things at least did not get worse over the last 1.5 years (and probably got better).

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it looks a lot better...your hair looks thinnest in your op, in the photo where it's wet and sticking up...surely it'd be worse now than in your most recent photos if you hadn't taken anything?
Be grateful that your hair is still thick enough to style properly..i'd be ecstatic if I got back to your level..