An Ashley & Martin dropout...

shori

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I decided to drop out of Ashley & Martin program after being with them for nearly a year. They were going to start me on a 'Maintenance Program'. While I was with them, I was using what they call the 'Real Growth Solution' made up of - Minoxidil 7% & Retinoic Acid 0.01%. I was asked to mix 'Elocon Lotion' a small 30 ml bottle with a 100ml 'Real Growth Solution.

Along with the above mentioned I'm also on - 'Proscar Tablets' - quarter a day and 'Saw Palmetto' one a day.

Now that I have left Ashley & Martin my concern is shall I stick with this routine ? I have been suggested that it will turn out to be cheaper if I buy the medication on my own after getting them prescribed by a GP.
Or
Shall I start with something else that might be more effective. I'm quite happy with the results I have got using what I was using though but the solution does dry up my scalp like hell.

What do you guys suggest and also how does one go around getting this stuff (Minoxidil & Retinoic Acid soulution and Elocon Lotion) in Australia ?
What happens if I stop using all of the above mentioned will I loose what ever grew back ?

I would really appericiate if some of you on this forum can contribute.

Thanks.

aussiedavid

Reaction score
Hi Shori,

I went through the A&M program as well. All they really offer is what others on here have been talking about for ages. When I originally left A&M I was getting my minoxidil solution from the same pharmacy they were using in Perth (I went and visited them when I was over there for work). I stopped doing that about 18 months ago and now get my minoxidil solution made up in Sydney at Fresh Therapeutics in Bondi Junction (Lvl 6 Westfield). I only joined this site a few weeks ago and have since ordered some 15% minoxidil from http://www.minoxidil.com. It arrived last week and I am now using it on the hairline, and my other minoxidil solution on the rest. I wouldn't recommend 15% unless you are not responding to the 7% solution you are currently on.

To get the minoxidil solution made up in Oz, you have to go to a doctor and get a prescription for: "Minoxidil 7%, Retinoic Acid 0.01%. Apply 1ml to dry scalp morning and evening". I stayed on the 7% for a while, then stepped up to the 8% with .025% Retinoic Acid. Be sure to get 5 repeats written on your script.

The Proscar is simple as well. Simply get a prescription for it, with 5 repeats. Hunt around for prices as they vary wildly. I get mine from David Wilson Chemist in Eastgate Shopping Centre, Bondi Jct for $93. I get $50 back from MBF.

Keep up the program you are on, namely minoxidil solution, Proscar and Saw Palmetto. You might want to also add Nizoral Shampoo 2%. You can buy it at any chemist. Use it twice a week. On the other days, use a gentle shampoo like 'Alchemy' Range. You can buy Alchemy at most Chemists or GNC stores. The 'big 3' that everyone refers to on here are Finasteride (Proscar/Propecia), Minoxidil, Nizoral Shampoo. Some people take Dutasteride instead of Finasteride, but it's not available in Australia. I got some a few years ago in the USA and used it for about 10 months....my testosterone levels went off the dial and my skin felt very dry...so I stopped it and went back to Proscar.

I have not heard of the Elocon lotion and A&M weren't using that when I went through their program. I'll google it and see what I can find.

If you stop your program completely, your hair will simply start to recede again. It's a pretty simple routine when you get used to it.

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently on the maintenance program at A&M... It's quite expensive actually - I won't be doing this next year. I suppose it was good when I didn't know my stuff but since doing a fair bit of research and hangin around these forums for a while I am definitely confident to source my treatments by myself. Since I already have my year's supply of Proscar and Realgrowth solution I cannot back out now. It does also make it easier to carry out my treatments without worrying about running out or stuff getting lost in the mail or whatever...

So I have about 8 months to research where I'm gonna get my treatments from (that is, if I actually see some results and decide to continue).

I'm thinking of adding a little bit of Rogaine foam in the mornings - at the moment I'm just using the Realgrowth 2ml per night. I can get Rogaine foam straight from Ebay.

About the Nizoral - would you recommend adding it to the normal A&M shampoos and conditioners? Do you think there would be any benefits from this?

How have your treatments gone so far in general? Any results? Any decent regrowth?

aussiedavid

Reaction score
Use the Nizoral as a 'stand alone' shampoo.

I would throw all of the A&M Shampoos in the bin....they are full of harsh chemicals. Use something gentle and sulfate free like 'Alchemy' (in other countries it's called 'Akin').

Does the A&M 'Realgrowth' solution still come with the pharmacy label on it from Main Street Pharmacy in Perth?

As for finding somewhere to make up your minoxidil Solution, simply look for a compounding chemist in the Yellow Pages or google it online. A lot of chemists do compounding these days. All you need is the prescription from your doctor.

You will definitely need to stay on the minoxidil/Proscar combo to maintain what you have regrown. Also consider 5% Sprio cream from http://www.minoxidil.com

I've maintained my regrowth reasonably well since leaving A&M. In the past 12 months or so I have felt that the minoxidil has become less effective. That's why I've just switched to the 15% solution for the frontal hairline for a while.

shori

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks a ton for your feedbacks.

The reason I was asked to mix 'Elocon Lotion' was because my scalp was reacting to the Real Growth Solution by itself. I still have some stock from A&M And will look into the pharmacies you guys suggetsed once I'm done with them.

Apart from what we have been discussing, I also wanted to ask you guys before starting a new thread.

Since I started with A&M 1yr and a few months back, I have been noticing some WHITE HAIR on my scalp. they are 4-5 in a particular area. Had may be one or 2 at the max before the program. But now it's frequent, everytime I get rid of them they are back again.

Any reason why this has happend ?

Thanks again guys.
Cheers

shori

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have now finished with the Ashley & Martin stock of mine. I'm going to the GP in a few days. I have been asked by the GP to carry some papers by A&M before she can prescribe me anything.

I have been using 'Real Growth Solution' made up of - Minoxidil 7% & Retinoic Acid 0.01%, for a while now (using 2ml every night). It has certainly made a difference, but I have to constantly go for a hair cut so as to avoid that obvious look that I'm loosing hair. Thats because the growth on the back and the sides is very healthy compare to the front.

I was wondering if I increase the solution to "8% with .025% Retinoic Acid" will that make a difference and is it gonna react with my scalp ? And whats a reasonable price to pay for a solution, just so I have an idea whether I have the right deal.

Cheers.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you using that Elocon stuff still?

I believe that is a steroid and can thin the skin if used for a long time.. i do not think that this is a good thing.

If it is working as you say, and you have a sensitive scalp, then I would not mess with anything... there are many people who change their regimen while it is working for them and end up with a mess.

I personally do not think retinoic acid should be put on a person with male pattern baldness's head. This stuff can really irritate and inflame your scalp. Increasing inflammation is definitely not something that you would want to do.

These are just my opinions.. make you own choice.

shori

Reaction score
I posted some replies and they have dissapered for some reason. Does anyone have any idea as to what must have happened. Deleted by Admin or Mods or something ???

shori

Reaction score
Nevermind I'll post again.

I have decided to continue on this - Minoxidil 7% & Retinoic Acid 0.01%, Proscar (quarter a day), Blackmore Prosere (2 tabs a day). Can't seem to find Saw Palmetto for some reason since I finished with the last bottle. I'm will use A&M shampoos till they finish.

Also can anyone suggest whats the good price to pay for Minoxdil and where can get a good deal in Sydney ???

I might go to Fresh Therapeutics in Bondi Junction as per "Aussie David"
now get my minoxidil solution made up in Sydney at Fresh Therapeutics in Bondi Junction (Lvl 6 Westfield).

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Cheers

P.S - I'm no longer using the Elocon Lotion as I was before. Its been 2 months now, I guess the scalp is used to me using minoxidil without it being mixed with it.