An Explanation on why some people diffuse thin on propecia.

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
Please comment.

Comebackkid's response to me on regrowth.com

Basically, I think when you're taking a 5ar blocker like Finasteride or Dutasteride you're reasonably well sorted against DHT activating the androgen receptor - and DHT is the most potent at doing so - but there are still other androgens that activate the AR like Testosterone and Androstenedione (which are the androgens I believe that lead to a more diffuse thinning pattern). So, your options to counteract the effects of these remaining androgens mostly lie with substances that block the AR completely. In my research these would include; topical Spironolactone, topical Flutamide, RU, Fluridil and perhaps Revivogen (as I think it's been loosely demonstrated this is effective at blocking the effects of Testosterone in the scalp - or something like that!).

Those who have the greatest success with Propecia are, I think, those who are less sensitive to androgens in general. If you're unlucky enough to be very sensitive to androgens then although Propecia may slow down your loss, I don't think you'd really have much chance of halting hair loss progression when your androgen receptors are continuing to be activated by other androgens. This is happening with the guys that are less sensitive to androgens too, but without as great an impact.

I'm not saying that this is the best way to do it, it's just my opinion. I think people need to do their own research and talk to others on hair loss forums as, invariably, what works for someone doesn't work for someone else! Hope that sort of helps.

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
Comeback kid also said:

I think it's to do with the increased scalp levels of Testosterone and Androstenedione that result from using a specific 5ar inhibitor. Women experiencing hair loss tend to have higher levels of Testosterone and Androstenedione but normal levels of DHT. It's a hunch, but I think when the androgen receptor is bound by Testosterone or Androstenedione rather than DHT you tend to get a diffuse pattern of hair loss.

The fact that the androgen receptor is still bound by other circulating androgens is most likely the reason why most will (or will eventually) continue to bald even whilst using Finasteride or Dutasteride. Unfortunately, there aren't really any topically effective anti-androgens available that would prevent the activation of the androgen receptor completely. Apart from perhaps RU.

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
I donno. Im not dropping it yet staying on at .5 now. However I am going to research flutamide and the other drugs he mentioned. THat way i can block dht and stop the other androgens from killing my hair.

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
The guy has taken finasteride for four years and dutasteride for 4 years after that. He said it has halted his receding hairline but he has slowly diffused while on these drugs. This information is the research he has gathered about his diffusing. It isnt happening as rapidly to him as it has happened to you and me.

For now im going to stay on my regiment .5 propecia and research how people have benefited from these drugs.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
mr.kazez as you said if the other hormones are responsible for diffuse while on medic why there is a lot of villus hair in my temple ..

if you got diffuse you cant see any villus hair in your temple or other region..........

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
You can have diffuse and temple type hair loss at the same time.

I want to know if what he is saying makes sense and to see if anyone has tried the above mentioned drugs in order to stop diffuse pattern loss.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
mr.kaze i have quetion on diffuse i had almost 3 years diffuse on top and back after finasteride for 4 month and 5 month dutas again at EOD at dutas ED at finasteride ..(currently NW3-4)..

nowadays its seems my back got too much thick and growing faster than my top i'm still optimistic on my medic ....how to find a diffuse hair while on drug.????????????????