An ignorant question, from an ignorant man.

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
This will definately seem repetitive and very n00b like of me... but im just lost on this topic. Is Rogaine and Propecia only supposed to have short term results, to stem the tide until something like dutasteride comes out, or do both medications have some kind of merit in keeping the hair that you have.. I hear so many different sides on this issue.. is it just that it works different for different people?? Thanks buds.. thanks for listening.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
VOVVIE said:
is it just that it works different for different people?? .

BINGO!

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
bad hair, give it to me straight... considering that you know absolutely nothing about me, my regimen, my hairloss, and my diet and lifestyle.. what do you think my chances are of making a full recovery of hair loss on my fat head??

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how far along your hair loss is really. If you're a norwood 7 your chances of full recovery are about as good as surviving a fall from 40,000 feet. :) If you're a norwood 1 on the other hand, your chances aren't bad. Propecia (finasteride) is renowned for maintenance and some regrowth whereas Rogaine (Minoxidil) is renowned for regrowth but of course only to the areas you apply it. Unfortunately, hair grown with minoxidil becomes dependant on it and will die quickly after stopping the regimen. Also, minoxidil tends to reach its peak growth and plateau around 2 or 3 years for most. It all depends on where you are right now in hair loss and what you are willing to do. And of course...theres no guarantee that anything will work at all. Yaaay for hairloss. :hairy:

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
wheyface33 said:
It all depends on how far along your hair loss is really. If you're a norwood 7 your chances of full recovery are about as good as surviving a fall from 40,000 feet. :)
A cat will survive any fall from a height greater than about seven storeys. But your neighbours will be really pissed if you test this theory on Fluffy so just take my word for it.

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
My old cat had a full head of hair too...some just have it all god damn it.

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
wheyface33 said:
If you're a norwood 1 on the other hand, your chances aren't bad.

If hes a NW1 then he doesn't have ANY hairloss :lol:

G

Shave my poodle said:
wheyface33 said:

If you are bald then you have no chance to grow back your hair. If you are just starting to lose you hair and there are still hairs around your temples, hairline and crown then you have a great chance to keep what you have and grow back some as well. Just don't even bother if you think you are already bald.

You could just throw a cat and see what happens though!

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
as for short term results propecia has been out for 7 years and there are men who have regrown some hair and kept it for those 7 years, but less than the original 84% i think it some where around 60% which is not to bad
also there are guys who have been on minoxidil for between 10 to 20 years who are still keeping there hair
I think the Guitarist from metalica kirk hammett has been using rogaine for 12 years do a search on kirk hammett and rogaine if you want
so if you lucky these treatments could last for ever

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Shave my poodle said:
wheyface33 said:

Ok heres the problem with the norwood scale...I still consider it a norwood 1 if the temple areas that are going to recede are beginning to thin. Thus there is evident male pattern baldness but it still falls under the Norwood 1 because hair is still there.

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys.. I am around a norwood 2 and a half.. which isnt bad at all.. Infact i think it looks good, because the receding seems to make me look so much more mature, in my opinion. But its a little thinner on top than i would like it to be. And from the looks of it, this doesnt seem to be something that should be too hard to deal with.. So thanks again guys, you've really made my day.

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Any time man, we're all in this sh*t together.

misterium

Reaction score
For beginning crown thinners, is Propecia WITH Rogaine advised ?

I'm a newbie to the crown thinning, and I am not sure if I should use both treatments. I'm not having any side effects with Propecia so I'm keeping on that.. it's been about 2 months.. the Rogaine is annoying to my scalp and I've only gone through a few bottles.. I'm not sure if I want to keep this in my regimine, so for now I'm dropping it and going to see how the Folligen works for my scalp health, along with the finasteride.

Any ideas on if we early starters should be using finasteride WITH minoxidil ?? Or is one okay ?

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
The general consensus seems to be that finasteride alone would suffice as minoxidil is really recommended for people trying to turn the tide and regrow some hair, as it's only a stimulant and doesn't really effect the root cause of hairloss.

misterium

Reaction score
That sounds reasonable to me..

I'm dropping minoxidil for now.. gonna give myself some time with this finasteride and Folligen, and a nice clean scalp and positive thinking.

Thanks.

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple more things to add..

Will the reduction of DHT in my body help to straighten out these curly hairs that have started growing around my hair line at the bottom?

And also, will a combination of treatments really help to thicken my hair on the top considering i am in very early stages of thinning??? Im not asking anyone to asses my hairloss, but more to base their answer on what they have experienced themselves or on other people.. thank you much guys again.. peece