An Introduction thread like many

Mister-Mister

Reaction score
Hi,

I didn't want to start making new topics and sabotaging the forum with random topics so I thought I'd start with an introduction topic.

I am in my mid 20's and showing signs of hair loss. Most notably at the back, but its in quite a wide spread and sprawling through the base too.

I'm finding it quite hard to accept, I know it is not uncommon but still it does bother me at times when I am at work I will glimpse at how thin it is in the light in the lavatory and feel depressed for the rest of the day. I think partly what bothers me is that I have taken a lot of time to get my life into shape, I've had depression for many years now and recently managed to grasp a stable job. I've always been quite a sensitive person that really takes shame to heart and find that it can be very debilitating so the notion of such hairloss is very hard for me to accept. I also fear that this will effect my 'mate value' a shallow term and thought process but I cannot help but feel it even within myself that I wont be able to be attractive and loath myself more. Now that I have been getting my life into shape I sort of was aiming to step back into the dating game but feel very self-conscious because of this the matter of hairloss and shame around it.

I've always had medium/longer based hair and have never liked my hair short, I simply don't feel I have the shape for it and benefit with fuller hair above to hide the flaws I feel in the shape of my face. So the idea of just shaving it all of doesn't sound like a solution to me. I have considered it. But even the over day I saw a guy walk by who had his hair short as I was intending and from the back it was bare to thinning towards the front, which sort of shattered that idea...

So I am out of ideas, really. I need advice on this as it really is making me feel intense shame which is putting me off so much in life.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Big 3
finasteride
minoxidil
nizoral

You can get a script through your GP/DERM/hair transplant Surgeon. If you can't you can buy it online with no script. Go for the generic finasteride or the 5mg variation as they are the cheapest. finasteride is the most IMPORTANT in the big 3. Minoxidil is optional depending on how much you've lost or if you get no regrowth with finasteride. Nizoral is also optional and can be used once or twice a week as a shampoo.

Dont worry about the sides until you get them. Low Libido, Weaker erections, Watery semen are the most common, but for those who stick with it report that sides disappear after sometime. Stick with finasteride for at least a year, then evaluate to see if you want to make the jump to something stronger like dutasteride.

Good luck.

popeye77

Reaction score
I agree wit TD500, start with the finasteride and Nizoral 2x week. I also use therapy-g shampoo and conditioner.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have any advice beyond a life of hair medication?

Ya I do

Learn-how-to-shave-your-head.jpg

Mister-Mister

Reaction score
I can't quite embrace that. I had to go to the hair dressers yesterday which was just agonising. and if anything it has made the thinning more apparent. I was considering buying a set of razors to avoid similar confrontations in the future. But even havign a buzz cut would still make it visible, would thinner hair alround make it more bearable.

Is there any guide online to the razors clipper size, not just in numbers but actual photos to demonstrate what a clipper size actually cuts down to. Something like this but with actual picture showing the difference:
http://www.buzzcutguide.com/hair-clipper-sizes/

Any help which isn't just stuffing me with meds or saying man-up would be appreciated.

Mister-Mister

Reaction score
I did post the other day but as it had a link I think it was withheld.

But the summary of my post is that I don't want to be medicated or completely bare there. Is a buzz cut a fair alternative? I mean of course it will still be bare at the back but its the only thing I can think of which of course isn't even close to being ideal.

Does anyone know of a site which shows you the length of each size in clippers, with actual pictures demonstrating the length?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Medication or increasing hair loss are your only options. You want to keep your hair? Get on medication for life. You brush your teeth every day to stop them falling out. You eat every day and take your vitamins to stay healthy. Taking a pill to stop hair loss isn't any worse.
Don't mind hair loss? Then shave and get over it. Focus on other aspects of your life and hope it doesn't negatively impact how people perceive you.