Anabolicmind22's Story - ( 22 / with questions)

Reaction score
I started noticing my hairline receding when I was 15 years old. I am now turning 22. At 17, I started taking Propecia, and would say that it certainly slowed down my recession + thinning. Unfortunately, it also came with side effects (decreased libido aka no morning wood and frequently soft erections). These didn't start immediately, but in the past two or three months they've been very bad and I decided to stop, cold turkey.

My question is where to go from here? I've heard Minoxidil is ineffective for frontal receding, but I've heard some people argue to the contrary.

1. What Norwood am I? 2? 3?
2. What regime would you recommend for me now?
3. Will topical finasteride have similar side effects? or to the same degree?

Thanks in advance guys; I really appreciate forums like these with supportive members.

Attachments

• 014724.jpg
    014724.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 148
  • 014740.jpg
    014740.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 014754.jpg
    014754.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 014818.jpg
    014818.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG00016-20091122-2211.jpg
    IMG00016-20091122-2211.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG00017-20091122-2211.jpg
    IMG00017-20091122-2211.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG00019-20091122-2216.jpg
    IMG00019-20091122-2216.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 161

Shomi

Reaction score
From this pictures it looks like you still got great hair, minoxidil was very effective on my temples as you can see here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47167&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40
but only for 4-5 months(in my case) than it started receding again.

I too, would like to know does topical finasteride has same sides as oral? I dont think it has because it is not getting in to your bloodstream and because that, he is not reducing dht in whole body.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
If it started at 15 and you are a NW2 at 22 it could be just a mature hairline. Does male pattern baldness run your family? Your hairloss if any goes at a slow pace (good thing). You have great hair. minoxidil works everywhere it is being applied to, but I wouldn't start yet.

Are you sure that these are finasteride side effects, and not other issues? Stress, being tired, health issues.. I would do some tests before quitting finasteride, especially in your case that it's obvious that it helped if you have male pattern baldness.

You could also try half dose for a month and see if you get better and then stick with the lower dose...

Topical finasteride is not proven to work, and if it does it could be because of systemic absorbtion.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I'm afraid the light wasn't perfect and it looks a lot thicker than it is. I have experienced some general thinning all over the top of my head. It's still far from being visible without someone inspecting up close, but enough to notice when I brush my teeth in a well-lit bathroom,

My father went bald very, very young, and there's thin hair and balding on my mother's side of the family as well, so it's definitely in the genes.

I am 100% confident it is the finasteride. I've been off it before for a period of 2-3 months and I noticed a lot more frequent morning erections and now it's rare at best. I am in a serious relationship now and that has also helped me to discover that it's a greater problem than it should be, especially since I am young and fit.

I have spoken to Dr. Lee and am thinking about ordering some of his stuff. Any thoughts or recommendations on a good regime would be very appreciated.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anabolicmind22 said:
At 17, I started taking Propecia, and would say that it certainly slowed down my recession + thinning. Unfortunately, it also came with side effects (decreased libido aka no morning wood and frequently soft erections).

Lack of morning wood is making you this scared of finasteride? You sure these aren't all in your head? Seems odd this would just start happening...

1. What Norwood am I? 2? 3?

Norwood 1, maybe 1.5 with those temples

2. What regime would you recommend for me now?

minoxidil foam on the hairline, that's about it until it starts getting noticeable, then add finasteride.

3. Will topical finasteride have similar side effects? or to the same degree?

Don't know a lot of people taking topical finasteride. I think minoxidil foam would be smarter (if anything).

Reaction score
It's many things, to be honest. I had the lack of morning wood + soft erections for a long time (in fact, pretty much as long as I was on the drug) and didn't let it bother me because it didn't effect my sex life. Recently, it has, and that is where I draw the line :)

edit: and i'll add some higher quality pics later, because my hair looks thicker than it is (or than i think it is) in those shots due to the lighting

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Well from what I can tell from those pics, my opinion is your a NW1.5 at the least

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I'm working on adding some better pictures.

What about nizoral shampoo? Good idea at this point? If so, where could I pick some up?

Shomi

Reaction score
Well nizoral can't harm you, you could only benefit from it. I don't know where you can get it in your country, but you could look in your drugstore for any shampoo that contains ketokonazol 2%, that is the main ingredient in nizoral.

Reaction score
**Updated with new pics(the top 3)**

I am now over three months off Propecia (due to the aforementioned sexual sides). It is all I have ever taken for my hair loss, and while it couldn't save my temples, it definitely slowed down my recession and kept my hair from thinning out.

Now I'm looking into alternatives. minoxidil is the first obvious one, but I need an anti-androgen, and, preferably, one that won't ruin my sex life.

I'm ruling out topical finasteride, because from what I've read the results are mainly due from systemic absorption, and I really don't want to mess with that anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been looking into Proxiphen, and, while the prospect of an all-in-one is exciting, I haven't been able to find any user testimonies to give me any confidence to shell out 100$/month. If anyone has used it, or can link me to someone who has, I'd appreciate it.

Finally, what can I expect in the way of results?

Is there any chance of me filling in my temples at all? I know not to be optimistic (in fact, I've been pessimistic about this my whole life) but it'd be nice to have something to hope for. I'm hoping to maintain about what I have for the next 3-5 years in the hopes that there will be better options available (fingers crossed).

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps add Nizoral, it can help somewhat until you can get another treatment set up going.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are having sexual sides from finasteride then your libido should have improved greatly within weeks of quitting finasteride.

Are you saying your libido is improved since getting off finasteride?

The photos shows you just have a mature hair line, I don't think your going to lower the hair line or do any filling in, especially without finasteride. Proxiphen or even Nizoral should make your hair thicker where you have hair.

Reaction score
Yes, there has been some noticeable return of my libido. I've also noticed a pretty significant strength gain. I had heard from fellow weight lifters for years that Propecia was a no-no if size/strength are a priority, and for the most part disregarded them because I didn't feel like it was hindering me. I was wrong. In the short time I've been off it, I've had record gains in strength. I know there are many outside variables to attribute this to, but I know my body very well, and have been monitoring it closely for a few years, and I am certain it was getting off the finasteride.

I'd like to keep what I have and thicken up what's left. I don't expect my full hairline back, but hopefully a little more filled in than it currently is; enough to disguise it better.

Thanks for your comments!

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, i had the same sides as you while on finasteride (no morning wood, soft erections)
After 5 months off of the drug, im back to getting morning wood pretty much every day. We really do take some things for granted heh :whistle:.

As for your options, minoxidil and topical anti androgens are pretty much it. I actually used proxiphen for 6 months and it did to seem to help a little bit, but i think its due to minoxidil/spironolactone that,s included in the ingredients. I use spironolactone and minoxidil separately and achieve the same results, at a much cheaper price.

You could look into RU 58841 which some people have claimed success with, but its still pretty experimental and very expensive. There's a few threads out there of people on RU keeping up to date logs of their progress.

Even with these topicals, you can't really expect the results that you would have on finasteride/dutasteride. But i do think they help, without the terrible sexual side effects. Good luck

Reaction score
thanks man, i appreciate that.

5 months! f*** haha oh well...im just happy to not be so badly affected that sex is difficult

i think ive decided on proxiphen and im going to cross my fingers

Petchsky

Reaction score
Last visited: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:34 am

Send him a pm

tdawg7669

Reaction score
Dude, I just wanted to say that you are my hair loss twin. I started receding at like 15, and I am 21 now at the same spot as you(in that grey area between NW2 and 3 no crown loss at all) having been on finasteride for about 5 months. No sides yet though. I wish you the best of luck.