And so it begins (24 yr old)

slowlyreceding

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently 24 years old and I'd probably classify myself as a Norwood 2 at the moment with a bit of a thinning forelock. I first started noticing my temples receding right around the time I turned 22 and graduated from college. At first, we thought I had hair genes (for lack of a better term) from my mom's side of the family. My hair is straight is an arrow, and I had a strong, fully thick juvenile hairline up until 22. All the males on my mom's side of the family had similar hair through their 60s. My dad on the other hand, started losing his hair in his early 20s and is now probably a Norwood 4-ish in his late fifties and his hair is curly (REALLY curly). Unfortunately, it looks like I'm following his path.

I have been doing research for the past 2 years, ever since I started noticing my temples going. Unfortunately, I kept thinking to myself, "well, as long as I keep a full forelock, I'm ok with this. It's just a mature hairline." So I never did anything. Two years later, and now my forelock is starting to thin out. So I finally said enough is enough and went to see my derm for Propecia. He had no problem prescribing it and I picked it up yesterday. I plan on starting sometime this week (I want to get my DHT levels tested before taking). I will also be using Nizoral 1% every 2-3 days along with a normal shampoo the other days.

I keep my hair very short (1 guard on top, tapered on sides) and have taken a before photo so I can measure my progress. I figure any progress will be easy to see since I don't plan on growing my hair out at all. As far as expectations go, I'm not naive and I don't expect to see any regrowth whatsoever in my temples (which again, I'm ok with). I would very much like to see some regrowth in my forelock, even if it's minimal. Seriously, anything at all will be amazing and worth it for me.

To end my first post, I guess I have a few noob questions:

1) Should I taper on at .5mg instead of going full in with 1mg? I have seen the study that indicates that .2mg is almost as effective as 1mg, so I'm thinking .5mg should be OK, at least to start out on
2) When I went to pick up my prescription, the pharmacy gave me generic (looks like it's made by Camber Labs). I know that generic should be fine. Finasteride is finasteride. However, I have my concerns and I'm wondering if I should just ask for genuine Propecia next time I go.

Thanks for reading! I'll try to keep everyone posted on progress/sides/etc. Cheers!

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
finasteride has a flat dose response curve. You can start on .25mg if you want to. Doesn't matter.

If you're getting your meds from a legit pharmacy, I wouldn't worry about fake generics.

I used Merck Propecia just cause I wanted to, it was about 70.00$ a month.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1). yes, 0.2 mg works effective but to be on the safe side they prescipe 1 mg and it is going to be harder to cut the 5mg into 0.5 mg.
2). If they gave you a generic then I don't think they have a 'genuine propecia'.