And so it begins..

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
Hi all

I won't bore you with the long introduction. My story is the same. Hair started thinning with a slight receding hairline a few years ago, was sort of in denial as I didn't want to accept it. So didn't do anything about it. I'm on the wrong side of my 25 and think I should take some action whilst the situation is not that bad (I hope).

Pics included. Crown is the worst. My plan is to start a month supply of propecia from boots, cut pills into four parts, and take 0.25mg daily. I've have also purchased some Nizoral which I plan to use a few times a week.

Any suggestions or comments welcome. Man this sucks. No mbp on mother's side. Dad still has decent hair in his 60s. I didn't think it would be an issue.

r1flgw.jpg

vsfeya.jpg

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Many of us didn't think it would be an issue, and it still is one. Your plan is a good start. What is your reasoning for starting finasteride. at 1/4 dosage ? Don't wait any longer and Godspeed to a full recovery.

DPAMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It does have its way of creeping up on you, doesn't it? There is noticeable thinning in the crown area, but the rest of your hair looks pretty thick. Have you looked into a concealer like Toppik? Maybe adding some minoxidil/Rogaine to your regimen would be good, too. Much luck; good that you've started as soon as you have and here's hoping you at least get to maintain your current hair.

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
Many of us didn't think it would be an issue, and it still is one. Your plan is a good start. What is your reasoning for starting finasteride. at 1/4 dosage ? Don't wait any longer and Godspeed to a full recovery.

Purely from what I've read. I thought a dose that size would bring the same benefits as 1mg, but lessen the sides (although this may be based slightly more on people's experiences then clinical data). I'm open to suggestions of course.

It does have its way of creeping up on you, doesn't it? There is noticeable thinning in the crown area, but the rest of your hair looks pretty thick. Have you looked into a concealer like Toppik? Maybe adding some minoxidil/Rogaine to your regimen would be good, too. Much luck; good that you've started as soon as you have and here's hoping you at least get to maintain your current hair.

Yeah I always get comments saying the rest is thick; however it's more noticeable when it's wet. Lol I've actually spent all day reading up on Dermmatch/Toppik etc. I'm not too unhappy about it how it currently looks so I don't think I'll bother with those yet, it's more the concern of what its state will be in the next five years. If I maintain this or have sight regrowth I'll be more than happy.

Regarding minoxidil I've heard it doesn't regrow but just maintains. It will probably get too expensive for me of I use both, so I thought my safest bet was propecia. I've always heard about the initial shed with that and that would scare the hell out of me!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I guess we'll find out in a little while. Trial and see as I like to say, you can always increase. Keep us posted when you can pupil esquire.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair loss medication is extremely cheap, including Minoxidil. You get it over the counter so it's safe, you can't die or overdose from it. It's 100% worth trying. It actually regrows hair in over 40% of users, not on a slick bald scalp, but if there are hairs undergroing miniaturization it can improve them to normal terminal hair.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
BuddingLawyer, it seems like you've got your idea of treatment planned out. I'd just take the full standard traditional dose of 1 milligram of Finasteride daily and go from there and see how it goes. Taking 0.25 mg of the medication is still benificial, though slightly less effective, I'd go for getting the most out of Finasteride.

It also looks like in the pics of your hair that you could benefit well from Minoxidil, I'd also give that a go if I were you since it seems like there's potential for good hair regrowth. Using a Ketoconazole shampoo 1-2 times a week is helpful at keeping the scalp clean for topical treatments, like Minoxidil for example, so they can work better.

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
Hair loss medication is extremely cheap, including Minoxidil. You get it over the counter so it's safe, you can't die or overdose from it. It's 100% worth trying. It actually regrows hair in over 40% of users, not on a slick bald scalp, but if there are hairs undergroing miniaturization it can improve them to normal terminal hair.

BuddingLawyer, it seems like you've got your idea of treatment planned out. I'd just take the full standard traditional dose of 1 milligram of Finasteride daily and go from there and see how it goes. Taking 0.25 mg of the medication is still benificial, though slightly less effective, I'd go for getting the most out of Finasteride.

It also looks like in the pics of your hair that you could benefit well from Minoxidil, I'd also give that a go if I were you since it seems like there's potential for good hair regrowth. Using a Ketoconazole shampoo 1-2 times a week is helpful at keeping the scalp clean for topical treatments, like Minoxidil for example, so they can work better.

Thanks guys. It's just I'm a just little afraid of the shredding and making it worse to begin with. I thought the normal treatment is regaine which is a little costly. Would I only apply it to the crown?

Edit: I've also seen this written:

"Regular use is required to maintain hair growth. If you stop using this medicine then any new hair will disappear after 3 to 4 months."

If it'll only works whilst I'm on it and any regrowth disappears, then what's the point unless I take it for the next thirty years?

g.i joey

Reaction score
take it from someone who has tried every dose possible .25 just isnt enough, try doing .5 one day and .25 the other, this is alot more effective

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
take it from someone who has tried every dose possible .25 just isnt enough, try doing .5 one day and .25 the other, this is alot more effective

OK will try that! Was reading about the risk of impotence last night and it scare the hell out of me!

- - - Updated - - -

Guys the more I read about it the more anxious I become about the potential sides. A loss of sex drive and ability to get erect at full strength is concerning. Although I desperately want to try Propecia, I would rather have a guaranteed better sex life. The flip side is that I know I need to start now whilst it's not too bad to give myself the best chance of regrowth.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some tips:

1.) Buy generic Kirkland Minoxidil, it's the same thing as buying brand name Rogaine, but it's a fraction of the price. I believe $25 for 6 month supply via Amazon
2.) Use a Dermaroller. 0.5mm before application of minoxidil (maybe 3x a week). It caused some of my NW0 hairline hair to grow back when it never did without dermarolling. It helps with absorption into the scalp.
3.) Don't believe what it says on the Minoxidil box, it WILL grow back hair where you apply it, not just the crown. (Although how you respond will be unique to your body, hair follicles, extent of follicle damage etc.)

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
Still have the pills and am yet to take my first dose as I cannot escape feeling anxious about the side effects. I don't know what to do.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still have the pills and am yet to take my first dose as I cannot escape feeling anxious about the side effects. I don't know what to do.

Go for starting Finasteride and don't think too much about it. It's very unlikely you'll get side effects, remember most men ever won't. I take Dutasteride and I'm totally fine.

You can do it! :)

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score

The anti propecia trolls definitely did a good job getting their message across...

How many more guys will go bald when they really didn't have to???

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
I guess you guys are right. To me it was sex life vs hair which isn't a contest. However, if the chances of side effects are really that low, then it would be silly not to.

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
I thing I don't understand though. Three of my older brothers, two in their 30s, and one in his 40s, all have a full head of hair, especially around the crown. Dad had a full head well into his 50s/early 60s. No history on my mum's side either.

BuddingLawyer

Reaction score
Right guys I've been on 0.5mg for a few weeks now. Initially low libido but I think it's near to normal now. Do I risk going up to 1mg? No results yet but obviously way too soon.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right guys I've been on 0.5mg for a few weeks now. Initially low libido but I think it's near to normal now. Do I risk going up to 1mg? No results yet but obviously way too soon.

You must be happy in the knowledge that you're doing the best thing to combat this :)