ANI's Story

ANI

Reaction score
Hi everyone im 24 years old from England.

I have been reading this forum for about 3 months and they have helped me mentally cope with this. It sounds stupid but i now know im not the only one. I have hope and this forum has given it to me.

My story is that i have been noticing my hair thining around my crown and temples about 5-6 months ago. It was thinning very slowly so i didnt pay it too much attention. But over the last couple of months is has been shedding really badly and to make matters worse i have alopecia, with 2 large bald spots on the right hand side of my head :( Not the nicest thing to have happen to you, but i will live.

Before reading this forum i didnt have a clue about male pattern baldness so just though that the hair thinning around crown and temples might be due to the alopecia as i noticed them around the same time as the first bald spot appeared. If anybody knows whether or not there is a connection between the alpocia and male pattern baldness feel free to tell me.

Im going to start the big three next week when my order comes in, but have a few questions if anybody could answer?

Firstly which Regaine should i use 2% or 5%? i have never used it before so thought maybe that the 5% might be very strong for my scalp and cause lots of irritation.

Secondly how often should i use it? the recommended or more?

Third and last, how much propecia should i be on and in what frequency?

Any help on these would be great. Sorry i didnt post alot about my story or go into any real detail about my life or the impact of hairloss to me. But after reading so many of the other stories on this forum i realised that my pain isnt any more than some of yours.

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score
ANI said:
Hi everyone im 24 years old from England.

I have been reading this forum for about 3 months and they have helped me mentally cope with this. It sounds stupid but i now know im not the only one. I have hope and this forum has given it to me.

My story is that i have been noticing my hair thining around my crown and temples about 5-6 months ago. It was thinning very slowly so i didnt pay it too much attention. But over the last couple of months is has been shedding really badly and to make matters worse i have alopecia, with 2 large bald spots on the right hand side of my head :( Not the nicest thing to have happen to you, but i will live.

Before reading this forum i didnt have a clue about male pattern baldness so just though that the hair thinning around crown and temples might be due to the alopecia as i noticed them around the same time as the first bald spot appeared. If anybody knows whether or not there is a connection between the alpocia and male pattern baldness feel free to tell me.

Im going to start the big three next week when my order comes in, but have a few questions if anybody could answer?

Firstly which Regaine should i use 2% or 5%? i have never used it before so thought maybe that the 5% might be very strong for my scalp and cause lots of irritation.

Third and last, how much propecia should i be on and in what frequency?

Any help on these would be great. Sorry i didnt post alot about my story or go into any real detail about my life or the impact of hairloss to me. But after reading so many of the other stories on this forum i realised that my pain isnt any more than some of yours.

5% foam. Half a cap morning and night, It will explain on the bottle. Im not sure with liquid, Ive only just started the big 3 myself.

One pill a day. Im from the uk and orderd proscar which contains finasteride as Propecia does but has 5mg so I cut into 5(Just letting you know for in the future if you plan to cut cost's for the same drug)

Get down to Boots and get some Nizoral, it's a shampoo which also helps. leave on for 5mins 2-3 times a week. It's made my head feel and look better anyway.

Anything else just ask mate.

ANI

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Im going to start posting my pics so that everybody can see, cant wait to actually start this stuff.

If u dont mind would PM us the place where you ordered your proscar from?

Cheers.

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
ANI said:
[...] Firstly which Regaine should i use 2% or 5%? i have never used it before so thought maybe that the 5% might be very strong for my scalp and cause lots of irritation.

[...]

Try the 5% solution first and always the recommended dose. The 2% solution is usually indicated for women; use it only if the 5% solution irritates your scalp. I never tried the foam.

You seem to be heading in the right direction. Good luck and keep us posted!

SE-freak

Reaction score
ANI:

Post some pictures of your hair. You might not need to start minoxidil yet.

The basic purpose of 2% concentration solution for women is that higher concentrations might promote facial hair growth to a much more noticeable extent. Irritation when using Rogaine is usually due to propylene glycol (the vehicle that delivers the active ingredient to your follicles) and not minoxidil so % is irrelevant in terms of skin tolerance.

This forum is full of information and people willing to help. Welcome.

ANI

Reaction score
Hi, quick update.

I went to see a Dermatologist (private) this week about the alopecia i have and for some information on hair loss yesterday. I was told that the hair thinning is also due to alopecia and is not be male pattern baldness as the crown thinning is very close to the bald spot (alopecia) and is simply moving towards the crown. I have been on a steroid to speed up the hair growth for about 2 months and have noticed some hair growing quite rapidly around my temples.

Im going back in six weeks to talk about blood test results and how how the medication is working. I was given a stronger steroid and some multivitamins to take.

I have no started the propecia or the minoxidil yet as i will wait and see if the hair loss is male pattern baldness or alopecia.

Fingers crossed the Doctor is right and it is just alopecia (diffuse). She seemed pretty certain it is. Either way thanks to this forum i will be prepared either way. I Will keep everybody updated.

ANI

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick update.

Started the new steroid today. Its a bit different from the first one i was taking as that was a liquid and this ones a gel. Its a bit messier but i will put up with it and be patient.

Trying to keep my head straight at the moment as stress isnt going to help the situation. Its just not too great walking around having hair thinning at the front and 2 large bald spots on my head :( But if the doctor is right and this is not male pattern baldness (front thinning) then i must consider myself very fortunate. Went to the hospital for blood tests yesterday, which i am being tested for everything (5 tubes they took out!). Will have the results soon.

Its crazy really because 4 months ago i was almost certain that male pattern baldness was kicking in as the hair loss looked identical to male pattern baldness. But i guess thinning around the temples can also be apart of alopecia which i certainly do have.

Small hairs are starting to reappear on the left temple but nothing on the right. The large bald spots seemed to have slowed there progress down on the right hand side and hopefully they will start to grow some hair soon.

Away from the negatives of losing hair for a moment and onto the positives it has bought me. I started playing electric guitar 4 months ago (having private tuition) and this was largely to because of the hairloss. I basically wanted to do something to focus my mind and do something that didnt involve going out. This may not be a comfort for anybody losing their hair but just like myself im sure alot of you want to hide under a rock until your hair and your confidance comes back. But im using this time so that if my hair does'nt come back will confidance still will. Good night everyone.