Another life story about the disease that is hair loss.

mpindianapolis

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im new on this forum, have been reading some posts for about a month, but have just come across this off a link on google. If there was no reason for it, I wouldnt be reading this forum, as no offence to others posts and being in exactly the same situation or worse, I feel for the lot of you but its just depressing, just like the story/rant Im going to be talking about below. Sorry if this sounds like a version of the Steve Wilkos show - btw what a dude, hes successful, been a marine and cop, and appeared with Springer before starting his show, and hes bald - good role model.

Anyway, Im 23 years old, just done with education, looking for work, in reasonably good shape although havent exercised recently due to the hectic few months ive had but im working back into a rhythm and quite healthy. However, one thing that draws me to this forum and I like this forum for the way in which people express their feelings freely is that im suffering from depression due to my severe hair loss, and by looking at the norwood charts, I think im on a norwood 4a/5a and the horseshoe pattern is quite visible, even when I shave down to a grade 1 im struggling to pull it off these days, its severely affecting my confidence, well has been for the past few years from 2005-present when I seem to have lost all my hair and dropped down a few norwoods very quickly.

When I wake up every morning and use a mirror behind my scalp to reflect the bathroom wall mirror, all I can see is very obvious scalp even though my hair has been shaved down to a grade 1. My temples have receded slightly and so has my hairline but is still maintaining at the top of my forehead, but my crown is horribly visible as is the top of my head that sprouts tiny miniature wispy thin hairs with very low density. I have used minoxidil in the past (2006) on and off, but I was in denial thinking that nothing was happening to my hair and it would be alright, but since having comments from everyone around me that im balding, I have pretty much been either hiding indoors and avoiding social contact, or going out whenever ive needed to with a cap, and still doing it. I have been on rogaine foam (x2 daily), saw palmetto extract (x2 daily), msm (x2 daily) and dutasteride (x1 daily) since the past month and its early days but im not very optimistic regarding what I will gain back or maintain (no results yet), and the last thing I want is dropping further down the norwood scale, im even feeling phobic about attending job interviews these days, and im a very able candidate.

However, I probably look alot older then just 23 due to the condition of my hairloss now, more like 40, and im now at the stage where I am seriously considering whether to go for surgery, however would need to fill in the top of my head, crown and temple areas so just to gain other peoples opinions here, at what age would one recommend the surgery option or what stage of hair loss? I think I am a diffuse pattern thinner so would this be a problem.

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score
mpindianapolis said:
Hi all,
Im new on this forum, have been reading some posts for about a month, but have just come across this off a link on google. If there was no reason for it, I wouldnt be reading this forum, as no offence to others posts and being in exactly the same situation or worse, I feel for the lot of you but its just depressing, just like the story/rant Im going to be talking about below. Sorry if this sounds like a version of the Steve Wilkos show - btw what a dude, hes successful, been a marine and cop, and appeared with Springer before starting his show, and hes bald - good role model.

Anyway, Im 23 years old, just done with education, looking for work, in reasonably good shape although havent exercised recently due to the hectic few months ive had but im working back into a rhythm and quite healthy. However, one thing that draws me to this forum and I like this forum for the way in which people express their feelings freely is that im suffering from depression due to my severe hair loss, and by looking at the norwood charts, I think im on a norwood 4a/5a and the horseshoe pattern is quite visible, even when I shave down to a grade 1 im struggling to pull it off these days, its severely affecting my confidence, well has been for the past few years from 2005-present when I seem to have lost all my hair and dropped down a few norwoods very quickly.

When I wake up every morning and use a mirror behind my scalp to reflect the bathroom wall mirror, all I can see is very obvious scalp even though my hair has been shaved down to a grade 1. My temples have receded slightly and so has my hairline but is still maintaining at the top of my forehead, but my crown is horribly visible as is the top of my head that sprouts tiny miniature wispy thin hairs with very low density. I have used minoxidil in the past (2006) on and off, but I was in denial thinking that nothing was happening to my hair and it would be alright, but since having comments from everyone around me that im balding, I have pretty much been either hiding indoors and avoiding social contact, or going out whenever ive needed to with a cap, and still doing it. I have been on rogaine foam (x2 daily), saw palmetto extract (x2 daily), msm (x2 daily) and dutasteride (x1 daily) since the past month and its early days but im not very optimistic regarding what I will gain back or maintain (no results yet), and the last thing I want is dropping further down the norwood scale, im even feeling phobic about attending job interviews these days, and im a very able candidate.

However, I probably look alot older then just 23 due to the condition of my hairloss now, more like 40, and im now at the stage where I am seriously considering whether to go for surgery, however would need to fill in the top of my head, crown and temple areas so just to gain other peoples opinions here, at what age would one recommend the surgery option or what stage of hair loss? I think I am a diffuse pattern thinner so would this be a problem.
How long have you been on the Rogaine? I'm planning to start my first batch when the whether gets cold.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum apolis. I understand how you feel since I am now nw6 (nw5 when I joined) but this is the place to come to get informed on everything out there to fight this problem from drugs to medical procedures to hair pieces or just to vent (a personal favorite of mine as everyone can attest to). Either way I hope this site helps you as I know it has helped me if nothing else than just an emotional release. Good luck to you.

mpindianapolis

Reaction score
slowburn said:
mpindianapolis said:
Hi all,

How long have you been on the Rogaine? I'm planning to start my first batch when the whether gets cold.

on the rogaine foam bit longer then the rest of my regimen, from june 2008 onwards.

slowburn

Established Member
Reaction score
mpindianapolis said:
slowburn said:
mpindianapolis said:
Hi all,

on the rogaine foam bit longer then the rest of my regimen, from june 2008 onwards.
Gotta give it time, I think they say at least 3-4 months before you see any sort of results. I'm afraid to start mine.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
If I can make one suggestion: do not take a decision for getting an hair transplant lightly. Do your homework. IMO, NW4 -7 are very limited in hair transplant results - even with the best surgeons. NW4 can expect much better hair transplant results than, say a NW6 - but still limited. NW7, IMO, should stay away from hair transplant's completely.

I've had 3 hair transplant's, and so far still unsatisfied with my results. I was a NW5 when I had the first hair transplant. Now, honestly, I wish I never even had that first one! (My first was in 2003) You can never go back after an hair transplant - they are forever!

Shaving, or cropping short, is much better, IMO. I do this now anyways, after 3 hair transplant's and over 7,000 FU's! But, I will go for my 4th and final hair transplant (1 to 2 years from now) because I have nothing to lose - i've already spent close to $40,000 for the 3 surgeries. Maybe, just maybe, I'll finally feel good about my hair then. But, look what I have had to go through - going the hair transplant route.

I still may be cropping, or shaving, even after my 4th if it doesn't give me the results I'm after. My scalp is visible from all angles in normal lighting. The longer my hair gets, the more obvious my hair transplant's (and my baldness) gets. (It works just the opposite of what most people would think - the shorter the better)

I have been looking into BHT's recently though - just a thought.

Anyways, give your regimen time.

Very sobering thoughts. I agree and I have had only one hair transplant. However, I will probably have to wait until after the second, sometime early next year, and another 2500 grafts before I see really tangible results. That'll be 5000+ grafts, $20,000 and to be honest, I think I looked better trimming down very close. :( I had more money to spend too and no donor scar!

Petchsky

Reaction score
If your thinking of a H/T then wait until you have stabilized your hairloss. I've been on the big 3 for 6 years now and i am getting around 2000 grafts in Jan 2009. But most importantly do your research, i've spent two years researching before booking my transplant, which will restore me to a NW2.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Technically hairloss is not a disease (can't be transmitted) but it might as well be seeing how society treats us like lepers.

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Technically hairloss is not a disease (can't be transmitted) but it might as well be seeing how society treats us like lepers.

it can be if you make it a self fulfilling prophecy. baldness is so common now, it's sheik. positive self image goes a LONG way. I'm not necessarily talking about physical image, more so moral, honest, loyal traits that shine through you and onto others. beauty is either luck, or paid for. personality is a choice.

Petchsky

Reaction score
To right...and personality/character is much more important than hair. You could have the best hair in the world but if you have an obnoxious, rude, negative, toxic personality, it will hold you back much more than hairloss ever could.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yes but there are still people out there that will only see you as an inferior bald person regardless of your personality and I know, well those people aren't worth my time anyway right? Still doesn't make me feel any less marginalized. Truth is I know I must be an eyesore to many people and that limits my social mobility, not to mention my chances with women. Women say confidence is important but what they don't tell you is you have to have the looks to back it up. Unfortunately hair is a prerequisite for many women, even the older ones.

zackmcqueen

Established Member
Reaction score
Two points...

1. If you're at that stage by age 23 then unfortunately, you can pretty much kiss the chance of a decent hair transplant goodbye, as others have been implying on this forum... too far gone too young, take this from someone who was a NW6 at age 21...

2. Steve Wilkos is nothing more than a mindless bully playing off the back of his fame on Jerry Springer...the guy is a total a s s hole, but because he takes the moral highground against retards (which ANYONE is capable of doing), we're supposed to admire him....you can tell off the bat that he's the kind of insensitive prick who makes himself look better by bullying the other bullies on his show...he's no better than them, he just hasnt been caught out or exposed yet.

Petchsky

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Yes but there are still people out there that will only see you as an inferior bald person regardless of your personality and I know, well those people aren't worth my time anyway right? Still doesn't make me feel any less marginalized. Truth is I know I must be an eyesore to many people and that limits my social mobility, not to mention my chances with women. Women say confidence is important but what they don't tell you is you have to have the looks to back it up. Unfortunately hair is a prerequisite for many women, even the older ones.

I disagree about the hair being all important to women, yeah sure, women like a full head of hair but i like big tits on women and my last two girl friends were flat chested, didn't put me off, and neither would you lack of hair to most women.

Maybe you don't like the comparison of hair on men and tits on women, so i'll use another one...i'm quite short, 5'8 and women genetically have a preference for taller men, which you can argue gives anyone taller than me a competitive advantage, which it does, like someone having hair and not having hair. The point i'm trying to make is that there are many factors that add up to women liking you, and your hair is just one of them, which is not as important to them as a good sense of humour, intelligence, confidence etc...

Sometimes i wonder who you hang out with Uman, it's like your on the set of Charmed, or Gilmore girls, Beverley hills 90210 with some of the shallowest b****s imaginable.

If you think you look like a sack of spuds, have no confidence from your hairloss, and think your inferior this will come across in all your interactions with people and it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.