another propecia question

G

I read somewhere if you use propecia for like a year and you stop then all the new growth will be lost in 3 months.

But wouldn't you be able to keep the regrowth if you continued to use a good dht blocker like fluridill and spironolactone? That makes sense doesn't it?

The clinical tests showed that people that just stopped propecia lost the hair because they didnt have a dht blocker. Well duh, ofcourse you would lose it because you dht levels would go back to normal and kill the hair again right?

G

That's right. Not sure about you losing it in 3 months though. Maybe over a longer period!

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you're mixing it up with minoxidil. If you quit minoxidil, all the new growth will be lost. If you quit finasteride, you'll just start losing your hair again.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
YoungGuy17 said:
I read somewhere if you use propecia for like a year and you stop then all the new growth will be lost in 3 months.

You need to read the original large Propecia study. They have a haircount graph near the end which has the relevant information you're looking for.

There was one group of test subjects which took the active drug (finasteride) for the first year, but were then switched over to placebo for the second year. After that full second year was over, that group's haircount had dropped from their first-year peak back down to a little BELOW their original starting baseline, although they were still ahead of the group that had received placebo for the entire 2 years. That should give you an idea of what to expect.

BTW, the downward slope of that line during that second (placebo) year was even STEEPER than the downward slope for the test subjects who got the placebo for the entire 2-year period! That suggests that if you suddenly discontinue Propecia, your hairloss becomes even WORSE (at least temporarily), possibly because of that infamous upregulation of androgen receptors. However, the rate of your hairloss probably "bottoms-out" after a while, and then resumes its normal rate. That would be my best guess.

YoungGuy17 said:
But wouldn't you be able to keep the regrowth if you continued to use a good dht blocker like fluridill and spironolactone? That makes sense doesn't it?

In theory, sure!

YoungGuy17 said:
The clinical tests showed that people that just stopped propecia lost the hair because they didnt have a dht blocker. Well duh, ofcourse you would lose it because you dht levels would go back to normal and kill the hair again right?

Sure.

Bryan